• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Whisper

RHutch

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Anybody shooting a bolt gun whisper?
    If so I would like to talk to you.

Re: 300 Whisper

Every time I start to go the Whisper route someone changes my mind. Instead of a Whisper, I had 2 308s built set up to shoot hvy subs (1-8" twist). Trail Boss and 240s shoot really well in both. This way you can always run std velocity rounds through them also.

I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year as my 300 whisper rem 700 as it is my favorite rifle. Just finished a 510 whisper build so that will be getting some use soon.

I built a 30-223 ackley last winter.... very similar to the whisper.... I use it for h.p. silhouette...no recoil.... out to 500 meters.It knocks rams over most of the time...
    kreiger barrel,rem.action accurized.I shoot 155`s @ 2K fps.

Don't let anyone talk you out of a Whisper rifle, they are the shit! I love the AR .300 Whisper & the .338 bolt action Whisper. However, make sure SSK builds it, they invented it and use the right twist in the barrel, others don't. Whisper round's are very versital, from subsonic to HV.

SSK wont be building it but the smith that will has built a few with a proven reamer and proven results.
    From what I have seen, 1:7.5 - 1:8 is the desired twist for subsonic loads.

have someone else make it.. tell them to use the right twist

try to find TP555 on quaterbore 300whisper forums, he does excellent work, and from what i heard does some barrels for "the major whisper manufacturer" but will not name names. i have one of his custom gasblocks on my ar and its amazing.

I have an AR and a bolt, they are a lot of fun. Feel free to pm me for number if you have any questions. I don't know much about the building end, but love to shoot em.

Eddie

1:8 is the right twist for the 300 Whisper and is what SSK uses. Most, including T/C use 1:10 which is only good up to about 190 gr. Also, that 221/300 round you see around is NOT the .300 Whisper. They will not work in a real 300 Whisper barrel. (Bad headspace.) I have seen people use a 1:6 twist for the 300 Whisper also, I'm not sure why though. My guess is they are only using it with subsonic loads, which means they are only using the 300 Whisper for 1/2 of what it was designed for. Alot of people forget that the Whisper seris round's / rifles are designed to shoot both subsonic and supersonic round's. This gives you a VERY versital rifle. I think this is why SSK chose 1:8, that way it could stablize the 220 & 240 gr. pill's @ 1050 fps and still shoot 125 - 165gr. round's supersonic with great accuracy. It really is an amazing weapon system. If you could only have one rifle the 300 Whisper would be my pick.

Consider the 7.62x39 as an alternative chambering. Lapua makes brass under its US Subsidiary's K-P headstamp.

Also, though it may sound odd, try loading HPBT heavies backward in the case, the additional intrusion reduces case capacity, allowing better load density percentage with a light load, and the HPBT projo actually flies truer and cleaner subsonic when fired backward.

This will also help with mag length/feeding considerations.

Finally, this turns a lockbase bullet into a trashcan hollowpoint, so terminal performance can end up being enhanced. If you can't find a lockbase, try a moment of mental instability and give us an experiment with a punch on the bullet base.

Greg

ga precision build a rem. 700 300 whisper 20'' rock creek 1:8 twist awwsome gun

30-12-08_1705.jpg

GAP Build: Manners stock, Rem Action, 16" Rock 1/8 twist barrel, Badger M5 bottom metal (AI .223 mags on the way), Nightforce 40 MOA rail & 3-15 NSX.

The 300 & .338 Whisper's use a 16" barrel, 18" max. There is no need to go longer because all the powder is burned very quickly. When shooting subsonic round's a longer barrel will hurt the round, not help it.

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. To those I have spoken with, thanks for your time.
    My interest in the cartridge is simply to shoot subsonic.
    I've other options for the faster stuff and dont want to mess around with downloading a standard cartridge.
    1:8 barrel has been ordered.

Not to hijack it, but I am also considering 300 whisper for subsonic loads; however, a few things are holding me up:
    1. The 300 whisper ar15 upper is very tempting. Will the ar15 magazine ridge protruding inward (groove on the outside, ridge on the inside of the magazine where bullets ride) interfere with the 300 whisper round loaded with 240-gr smk? It seems to me that it would. Is anyone with first hand experience willing to share?
    2. Bolt action. It will make sense to go with 300 whisper over 308 if 300 whisper is:
    a) more accurate than subsonic 308
    b) quieter than subsonic 308
    I would be glad to hear firsthand accounts on accuracy and quietness comparison. The versatility of the 308 bolt action with a 1 in 8" twist barrel for subsonic loads beats the 300 whisper if there is little or no 300 whisper accuracy and/or quietness advantage.
    This is where I am stuck. Any help is appreciated.

Greg, do you load your HPBTs just off the lands?

A bullet fired at 1000 fps will sound the same from a Whisper or a 308.

My 308s hold around 1 MOA at 100 with subs. Don't shoot them beyond that.

I don't know jack about the AR platform.

240's load fine and feed fine in my Ar 300 whisper. Never a failure to feed, never any issues.

Hope this helps

Eddie

Both my Whispers shoot one hole at 50 yards. At 100 I have been having some vertical. 2 inches or so, I have only tried H110 and have heard that this is common with this powder. When its gone I'll try another powder. Both are very quiet with the bolt edging out the AR do to less moving parts.

Hope this helps as well

Eddie

Try blue dot with a 208 a max. Works great in my bolt gun.

I am shooting my 300 whisper on a encore frame with a ssk barrel. extremely quite and very, very accurate. 10 shots had a ragged 3/4 to 1" hole at 100yds. Don't be afraid of a single shot, they reload pretty dang quick!

Chris Snow, not to contradict you, and it seems plausible to me that the same bullet shot subsonic will sound the same fired in 308 and 300 whisper cases, but the 308 case is larger and might play a role here. It would be nice to compare 308 and 300 whisper fired from bolt action rifles with the same barrel length, same make, and same suppressor. I wish someone would do that and share with us. Until then, it is only a guess. Bolt action 308 offers all that bolt action 300 whisper does and more unless the accuracy and quietness of the 300 whisper are better than those of the 308. This is my argument to myself not to get the 300 whisper bolt. The 308 case is way too big for a subsonic load, and some stated that uneven ignition may cause accuracy problems.
    Tansinator, just to clarify, a 30-round ar15 mag will take 30 rounds of 300 whisper loaded with 240 grain smk and work fine, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yuri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 308 case is way too big for a subsonic load, and some stated that uneven ignition may cause accuracy problems.</div></div>

Those who would argue that point, have their own agenda to push. This has been a thing of the past for a while with the advent of newer powders and loads that make the possibility of powder burning from the front to the back very unlikely, if not impossible.

Subs in a 308 are generally loaded using trailboss or titegroup. Both will fill the case nearly completely, with some rifles requiring compressed loads. Subsonic 308 is hardly something that can be considered new or un-proven. Lots of folks doing it and have been for a very long time.

Not saying anything against 300 whisper, but rather just calling to attention a in-accurate assessment of subsonic 308's in todays world.

Like already stated above, 10 grs of TB will fill about 70% of the case. If you haven't tried it do so. Great powder for this purpose.

just to clarify, a 30-round ar15 mag will take 30 rounds of 300 whisper loaded with 240 grain smk and work fine, right? [/quote]

Yes, the 30 rnd. AR mag will take 30 rounds of 300 Whisper, the case is the same size. Someone asked about the ridges in the mag, what SSK does is cut those ridges down so the bullet heads are straight. To do this you take a 3/16" endmill and cut the center of the large groove out. Start about .150" from the top, (or center of the radius) and mill down aprox. 1.5" File the edges smooth inside the mage. This keeps the first 10 or so round's nice and straight. It should feed just as good as a std. AR / 5.56 Hope this helps.

had a whisper to play with from model 1. Stacked some bullets in the barrel after bad advice on a load. You guys are gona talk me into another one here.... I'll probably go bolt this time. I now shoot 175SMK in my 11.27 twist rock barrel 308 for subsonic. Seems to shoot just at or over 1 moa at 100.
    Otherwise, I have 221 fireball brass necked up and dies that I may sell if anyone is interested. Brass still needs trimmed if I remeber. Still have it since I can't talk myself out of another whisper.... It is one the "list"

Yuri, I don't think you will find a 300 whisper and a .308 with the same barrel length to run this test. Although, i have been wrong before. Most whispers are cut shorter.

Eddie

Chris sent me a few of his rounds to shoot. Accuracy was fine to 100. No issues shot out of a 1:11 twist with suppressor.
    Repeatable as well going back and forth with subs to standards with come-ups.
    Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yuri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 308 case is way too big for a subsonic load, and some stated that uneven ignition may cause accuracy problems.</div></div>

Those who would argue that point, have their own agenda to push. This has been a thing of the past for a while with the advent of newer powders and loads that make the possibility of powder burning from the front to the back very unlikely, if not impossible.

Subs in a 308 are generally loaded using trailboss or titegroup. Both will fill the case nearly completely, with some rifles requiring compressed loads. Subsonic 308 is hardly something that can be considered new or un-proven. Lots of folks doing it and have been for a very long time.

Not saying anything against 300 whisper, but rather just calling to attention a in-accurate assessment of subsonic 308's in todays world. </div></div>

I wonder how many are also basing the comparison on 308 bolt guns with 24-26" barrels vs. Whipers with 16.5" barrels. The longer barrel will likely be detrimental to consistency with subsonic loads. Small powder charges get burned up quickly...

I'm looking to swap the BBL out of my suppressed 10FP .308 salvage to a stainless .300 whisper; anyone know where I can get a BBL?

I know the only thing I will have to do is change the bolt face after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to swap the BBL out of my suppressed 10FP .308 salvage to a stainless .300 whisper; anyone know where I can get a BBL?

I know the only thing I will have to do is change the bolt face after that.</div></div>

You will also have to change the bolt. The Whisper is based off of a smaller case. Like the .221 fireball or the .223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to swap the BBL out of my suppressed 10FP .308 salvage to a stainless .300 whisper; anyone know where I can get a BBL?

I know the only thing I will have to do is change the bolt face after that.</div></div>

You will also have to change the bolt. The Whisper is based off of a smaller case. Like the .221 fireball or the .223.</div></div>

Actually, I'm not sure if that is correct. I was under the impression that the .223 and .308 salvage use the same action/bolt.

Yeppers. Change that bolt head out with a .223 head and you'll be ok.

CHRIS

I have made tons of bolt and AR 300 whisper barrels and people love them, most are shooting around 980fps for sub sonic with a can.