• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag and IMR 4064 powder

jsedacca

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2006
New Port Richey, FL
Hey guys,
Got back into long range shooting with a purchase of a TRG42 in 300 win mag. My father has quite a bit of IMR 4064 when he used to reload 243 for groundhog shooting. I have 190 and 200gr Sierra HPBT bullets and plenty of brass/primers. Was wondering if anybody has a good recipe for this stuff or a good starting point. Seeing if it is worth it to reload with the 4064 or get some h1000 or retumbo. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Re: 300 win mag and IMR 4064 powder

I would think 4064 would be too fast for 300win mag ...but I could be wrong.

Yes, 4064 is WAY too fast for the 300 WM with the heavy bullets you are mentioning. R22 is the top powder for the 190 SMK. H1000 would be a decent powder for the 200, also.

PM inbound.

Thank you for the help/advice. I'll head out and pick up some rl22 and start reloading. Figured the 4064 wasn't ideal since he mainly used it for .243 and non-magnum calibers.

HEY NOT SO FAST....While I'll admit you won't get fastest vel with the bullets it can work and it can be fun to shoot. I have a 150 grain whitetail load for my 300 win mag using I4320 and it's fun. Sends them out at about 2800 fps and it quite regualarily breaks clay birds at 300 yds.
If you're looking to "burn the powder" let your gun tell you if it likes it or not. Lyman lists 53 gra to 59 max with a 200. I'll bet a six pack somewhere in between could be a fun, low recoiling, easy on the brass load.
To me reloading isn't always squeezing the fastest speed....I really enjoy finding those unusual "underdog" loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing if it is worth it to reload with the 4064...</div></div>

Can you load with it and it go bang- Yes. Is it worth it- not in my opinion. You're filing a case with 20-27% less powder that it's supposed to have with a fast burning powder.