• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win. Mag. and Retumbo powder?

Steve1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
Montana
I made it to town yesterday with hopes of finding some H 1000, or R-22 powder. I've been looking for some Accu-bond 200 grain bullets too. Well, as usual I couldn't find any of that. I did find some Retumbo powder. I need to start working up a new load for my 300 Win Mag. I was using IMR-4831 but the most accurate load was too hot.

I may have to stick with 180 grain bullets until I can find the 200 grain ones, I want.

So, my question is....Is Retumbo powder worth experimenting with in a 300 Win. Mag.? Is it fast enough? I've heard stories of compressed loads, and that you should only use it for the heaviest bullets. I may have to use my 180 grain bullets until can find some 200 grain ones.

I'm kicking the idea around of trying IMR-4350 for the 180 grain bullets. That powder is easier to find. I hate searching around for powder that is impossible to find.....

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Have ya tried looking in this thread ?

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/494-loads-300wm-300wsm.html

I have a 300 WM and WSM and I am new to loading myself as I have everything to load I just have a stock pile of ammo and my 300 has no scope yet and NIB Accumark and every rifle from my understanding could or could not like what ya throw at it but I think you are headed in the rite direction! Just buy some 1 Lb jugs and work some up with different seating depths and load charges! Just because someone posts a load does not mean it will work as good for you as it would for them! But that is well known and I will for sure be trying Retumbo myself once I get an optik for it!

I'm developing a load for paper punching as well as hunting. I know that 180 grain bullets don't have as good a ballistic coefficiency as heavier bullets, so I'm going to try 200 grain bullets. It seems like most Sporting Goods stores don't stock bullets heavier than 180 grains in 30 caliber. The better powders are hard to find too.

It's hard to find reloading data on Retumbo powder. I'm stuck with two pounds of it. I'm wondering if I should have even bought it.

I had a load that would shoot 1/2 inch four shot groups with IMR powder, but the bolt lift and extraction were way too stiff.

So, I,m going back to the drawing boards with a new powder, and hopefully 200 grain Accu-bond bullets. (if I can find some)

I made it to town yesterday with hopes of finding some H 1000, or R-22 powder. I've been looking for some Accu-bond 200 grain bullets too. Well, as usual I couldn't find any of that. I did find some Retumbo powder. I need to start working up a new load for my 300 Win Mag. I was using IMR-4831 but the most accurate load was too hot.

I may have to stick with 180 grain bullets until I can find the 200 grain ones, I want.

So, my question is....Is Retumbo powder worth experimenting with in a 300 Win. Mag.? Is it fast enough? I've heard stories of compressed loads, and that you should only use it for the heaviest bullets. I may have to use my 180 grain bullets until can find some 200 grain ones.

I'm kicking the idea around of trying IMR-4350 for the 180 grain bullets. That powder is easier to find. I hate searching around for powder that is impossible to find.....

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Steve, I've had GREAT luck with the 215 and 230 Bergers. The burn rate is perfect for the heavier pills. Pm me if you need specifics...

The IMR 4350 has made some good accurate ammo for me with stuff 190 and below. IIRC 4350 with a 190 SMK was one of the best loads I had out of my 300WM.