• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 win mag Barnes Brass

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I developed the load for my 300 win mag with Barnes brass because that was the brass I could get the most of at the time, but I only have 68 pieces of brass. I understand that Remington makes Barnes brass but is the Barnes brass the same as Remington brass with just a different head stamp. Recognizing they won't be the same lot, etc. could you mix Barnes and Remington and basically have the same brass? Thanks in advance for the help. Any lines on Barnes brass (or Remington depending on the responses) are appreciated as well.

Barnes and Remington brass may not be the same. Especially new stuff as Barnes and Remington are no longer affiliated. Barnes also had other brass suppliers than Remington when they were part of Freedom group/Cerberus/etc.

You may get lucky; but probably not. Measure the case capacity with water. Measure 5 or so at least of each head stamp. If they are the same your good.

Consistency is accuracy.

Barnes and Remington brass may not be the same. Especially new stuff as Barnes and Remington are no longer affiliated. Barnes also had other brass suppliers than Remington when they were part of Freedom group/Cerberus/etc.
I got the brass and developed the load about 8 years ago. When did Barnes and Remington split?

You may get lucky; but probably not. Measure the case capacity with water. Measure 5 or so at least of each head stamp. If they are the same your good.

Consistency is accuracy.
Good advice, but only works if I have access to the Remington brass. I am looking to buy more brass to match what I have as closely as possible.

The Barnes ammo that I have shot was all loaded with Rem brass but that was a few years ago and in 338 Rum. The rumor was always that R-P made the Barnes brass-- and it would be difficult to see them changing specs between the two different lines.

But regardless- if you only have 68 pieces then you are not locked into using it. There's way better brass to use with a 300wm. You may have to tweak the load a little but not a big issue. You wouldn't be starting from scratch-

The Barnes ammo that I have shot was all loaded with Rem brass but that was a few years ago and in 338 Rum. The rumor was always that R-P made the Barnes brass-- and it would be difficult to see them changing specs between the two different lines.

But regardless- if you only have 68 pieces then you are not locked into using it. There's way better brass to use with a 300wm. You may have to tweak the load a little but not a big issue. You wouldn't be starting from scratch-
That is a good point. What brass would you suggest? I am sure Lapua is best but any others that are a little cheaper?

^
It kind of depends on what you want.... and wasn't trying to bag on barnes/rem- it has been working for you and would continue. Just pointing out that the odds it will be exactly the same as different lots from 8 years ago is pretty slim.

You may have to take what you can find right not- but Peterson, Lapua, and ADG would be good choices. In 300 WM I'm currently using Sig (that was made by ADG- but I think that's changed) and Norma. The Norma is considerably lighter than many other brands and you probably wont get as many loading on it, but it has been the most consistent and given the best results for me.

I developed the load for my 300 win mag with Barnes brass because that was the brass I could get the most of at the time, but I only have 68 pieces of brass. I understand that Remington makes Barnes brass but is the Barnes brass the same as Remington brass with just a different head stamp. Recognizing they won't be the same lot, etc. could you mix Barnes and Remington and basically have the same brass? Thanks in advance for the help. Any lines on Barnes brass (or Remington depending on the responses) are appreciated as well.
Someone has some for sale in buy/sell