• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag barrel conundrum.

Slowroll

Cat herder
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Foothills of Mt.rainier
    I am having two actions barreled as part of the group buy and need to get them shipped. After reading Blackops post in a similar thread i am at a bit of a loss as what to do. The two barrels that I have are a 24" 1/8 twist benchmark blank rem. varmint contour 6 groove and a 27" bartlein 1/10 twist 5r m24 contour. My original idea was to chamber the bartlein for 300 win mag finished at 24". The benchmark was going to be chambered in 308 win and finished at 18" with the idea that I could run subs if i wanted. If I were to flip flop the barrels i am guessing the win mag would finish at 22" with an 8 twist barrel so runnin heavies wouldn't be an issue and the 308 would still finish at 18". I don't plan on extended range shooting ie: over 800 with either rifle. I am leaning toward the shorter/handier platform. Both rifles will be threaded and a removeable muzzle brake on the win mag. So any thoughts on muzzle brakes would be valued as well. Thanks gents, Will

I'd keep the .300 W mag at 24. Two reasons...one, you'll wind up shooting it from time to time without ear protection and the muzzle blast is farther from your ears. Two, the lighter barrel will recoil higher and faster anyway and the polar moment of inertia is greater with the longer barrel reducing the velocity of barrel rise. The longer barrel will also allow the bigger cartridge to give more velocity. Your results may vary, but in my limited experience I lost 150 fps going down below 24. Nobody had a barrel stretcher back then.

24" seems to be the common theme, the shortest length to still get the performance out of the winny. I don't have any real experience with the win mag and as far as I know barrel stretchers are still hard to come by! Thanks for the reply.

Two reasons...one, you'll wind up shooting it from time to time without ear protection and the muzzle blast is farther from your ears.

What? Why would he do that? Shooting without hearing protection is the stupidest thing for anyone to do and especially with a 300WM.

I wouldn't make a 300WM with an 8 twist barrel. Too fast unless you plan on running real heavies all the time. I would be worried about lighter bullets tearing apart. I have seen it happen with 6mms. You can run up to 240s with a 10 twist barrel. Stick to your plan and use the 10 twist barrel for the WM. You can cut it down to 24" if you like but I would keep it around 26" if the barrel is that long already.

Then that's poor planning in which whoever does it will pay with their hearing. ALWAYS have and wear hearing protection. Leave a pair in the stock pack. I have a few pairs of foamies in my stock pack just incase.

One thing is for sure by the time I hang a 24-26 inch tube and put it in a sentinal and scope that baby it probably won't make it too far from the truck. I am guessing it'll be in the 16-18# range. Thanks for the input guys

Rob, I can appreciate the fact that shooting without hearing protection is indeed never a good idea when it can be avoided. But I have to agree with him, where I hunt I certainly can not have ear pro in all the time if I want to hear whats going on around me. And usually when the buck pops out I definitely do not have the luxury to stop and put in my ear pro simply because he will most likely see me do it and take off.

But will a 24 inch barrel save your hearing more than a 22? I doubt it will will matter at that point, gonna suck either way haha. I say 24" for the 300 win mag. That's what I am going with for my next build as well. Seems like a perfect length that wills till get me out to a mile when I feel like having some fun.

Then that's poor planning in which whoever does it will pay with their hearing. ALWAYS have and wear hearing protection. Leave a pair in the stock pack. I have a few pairs of foamies in my stock pack just incase.

And I understand needing to hear what's around you and with the availability with cheap electronic hearing protection needing to hear around you isn't a good excuse anymore because eventually you won't be hearing anything around you except the constant ringing in your ears. You will hear better with electronic ears and it will save your hearing.

what do you recommend in the way of good electronic hearing protection that wont break the bank?

And I understand needing to hear what's around you and with the availability with cheap electronic hearing protection needing to hear around you isn't a good excuse anymore because eventually you won't be hearing anything around you except the constant ringing in your ears. You will hear better with electronic ears and it will save your hearing.

Many options from Peltor or Howard Leights or Walkers. Many others as well for under $100. Or something like the Surefire sonic defenders for plugs that aren't electronic but allow ambient sound in. Or if you wanted to spend more then there are other companies like ESP that make form fitted electronic sets. Many better options than ruining the only set of ears you get for a shot on an animal.

I have a set of howard leights in od that came w an aux port(for music or coms good for mowing etc.) 59 bucks at cabelas. Talking about hearing loss. Any thoughts on a good muzzle brake? Fte? R&d? Benchmark? If I keep the tube long and have a mb this baby is gonna be a pussycat to shoot.

One thing is for sure by the time I hang a 24-26 inch tube and put it in a sentinal and scope that baby it probably won't make it too far from the truck. I am guessing it'll be in the 16-18# range. Thanks for the input guys

??? so what's wrong with a 16#-18# 300 Win Mag?

I think it'll be a pleasure to shoot, I probably won't be takin it on the high country hunt is all. Besides the lil blacktail we have here don't need anything bigger than a 243. The elk on the other hand :) they'll love the win mag.

Any thoughts on a good muzzle brake? Fte? R&d? Benchmark? If I keep the tube long and have a mb this baby is gonna be a pussycat to shoot.
    I ordered a Centershot rifles CSR brake today for my group buy build, I wanted the Mini Muscle brake, but that is threaded 9/16X24 and I needed 5/8X24. I have a APA little bastard on my 300Win that works great too.

Rob, I can appreciate the fact that shooting without hearing protection is indeed never a good idea when it can be avoided. But I have to agree with him, where I hunt I certainly can not have ear pro in all the time if I want to hear whats going on around me. And usually when the buck pops out I definitely do not have the luxury to stop and put in my ear pro simply because he will most likely see me do it and take off.

But will a 24 inch barrel save your hearing more than a 22? I doubt it will will matter at that point, gonna suck either way haha. I say 24" for the 300 win mag. That's what I am going with for my next build as well. Seems like a perfect length that wills till get me out to a mile when I feel like having some fun.

I always practice with hearing protection but when it comes down to hunting it usually gets left out of the cross check...........talk to many of the vets coming back from the field. The ringing ears is just part of the culture and how they got r done.

The ringing ears is just part of the culture and how they got r done.

That is ignorance. You want to be stupid and not wear it then it's just you that needs to deal with the constant ringing and worse. I know of what I speak as I can hear it right now. Just trying to inform people of the dangers so they don't have to hear it but I guess some think it's a badge of honor or cool and that's ignorant.

Its all a personal choice in regards to YOUR hearing, if you want to lose it because wearing a simple pair or ear plugs is a drag, go for it! But you know what? When you lose YOUR hearing, its like a pair of ear plugs all the time, just more annoying. I personally like to hear my friends and family laugh and play and take an active part in it.

That is ignorance. You want to be stupid and not wear it then it's just you that needs to deal with the constant ringing and worse. I know of what I speak as I can hear it right now. Just trying to inform people of the dangers so they don't have to hear it but I guess some think it's a badge of honor or cool and that's ignorant.
    Ringing ears is not part of the culture, our government does not like to pay disability for hearing loss anymore, they say, "we gave you ear plugs!" so we wear ear pro all the time now(most of the time). I agree it's ignorant to not wear it.

I definitely agree that you only have one set of ears and you should do everything you can to preserve them. I honestly haven't messed with any of the new electronic protection for hunting as this is just the way I grew up learning to hunt with my dad. I definitely am interested in looking into it. Don't get me wrong, I wear ear pro all the time every time I can. But when I am only taking one shot out on a hunt I usually don't think about it. I am going to try and find some reviews on a small electronic set of ear pro.

I personally would agree that the 1 in 8 would not be the best choice for 208 amax out of a 300 win mag.

Here is a group I shot out of a 300win mag built by my friend. 1 in 10 Obermeyer barrel using 208 amax.

If you aren't responsible enough to take care of your own hearing, you aren't responsible enough to own and operate a firearm.

You should wear hearing protection, even when hunting.