• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 win mag barrel length

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Its been pretty well established that the best all around length for a .308 precision bolt rifle is 20-22 inches. What about .300 win mag? Id like to add a suppressor to my 700 pss, but the factory barrel length would be cumbersome at best. What about 24 inches?

Re: .300 win mag barrel length

I'm running 26 on my Krieger bbl. Don't see too many .300WM running less than 24. 24/26 with another 8 or so inches for a can will be cumbersome, but cutting a .300WM shorter than 24 seems like a waste.

Mine is 26" Bartlein when I get it back from GAP.

I'm also trying to decide barrel length for a 300WM I'm going to have built. I was considering 28", and benefit of say 28-29" over a 26" length for 300WM? I will be stretching it out as far as possible
smile.gif

Alan

28" if you want to maximize ballistics. But that becomes a bit unwieldly. 26 is a better compromise (2" less does make it handle better). Anything less than 24" and you start loosing the ballistic performance.