• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win. Mag. Barrel Life

Dollman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2011
Sacramento, Ca.
300 Win. Mag. target rifle with Krieger #9 contour barrel 28" long. Just after 1100 rounds through it the barrel is done.

Thought I would at least get 1500 rounds out of this barrel.

How many rounds are you getting out of your 300 Win.Mag target rifle barrels before the accuracy goes to shit?

Re: 300 Win. Mag. Barrel Life

1200 to 1500 is the norm for a 300 ,its the throat that goes first and then near the crown. depending on your cleaning regiment and rounds fired in between cleaning ,cool down time etc.
Also barrel heat plays a big part.
But at 28 long you should be able to set the barrel back an inch or two,if your shank is long enough and be able to get more life out of it .
With my magnums ,i just re-barrel.

Re: 300 Win. Mag. Barrel Life

The throat is what is really toast after looking at it closer. Looks like a blow torch was put to it. Crown is looking fine and barrel past throat looks fairly good. Barrel never built up much if any copper deposits. Muzzel brake always picked up most the copper but little to none ever found in barrel. MV with 190 gr. SMK's is ~ 3080 fps through chrono and 210 Bergers chrono @ ~ 3020 fps. Taking time to let barrel cool for how rifle is used is not an option. Usally send 120 rounds down barrel in three hour, give or take, time frame. Only 10 minuets allowed at each fireing line for 10 rounds. I usually cut this time by two or so minuets at each firing line. Cleaned at end of every shooting session.

Ordering two barrels this week as to have one as a spare when the next one goes south.

Hope I get a little more barrel life out of the 260 I'm having built.