• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Win Mag brass...

doubledown

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2010
Central CT
I am going to start reloading for 300 Win Mag and was wondering what brass you guys had luck with and what to stay away from.

Also primers, alot of the data I have calls for WLRM, I am a CCI, Federal guy. Any help from the experienced would be appreciated.

I will be starting with 185, 210 Bergers and 208 A-Max's

Thanks, Steve

Re: 300 Win Mag brass...

I use WW-Super, CCI magnum primers, 208 AMAX, and H1000 with excellent results.

Well if I was going to buy some new brass I'd probably go with Winchester or RWS, however I'm still getting some good use out of Remington cases - the case life and LR accuracy have been superb so far.

CCI 250 mag primers are fine - I use them for .300 WM and the Feds for .338.

Thanks for the replies, I was always a little leary of Rem. and WW brass. But lately see more shooters using it(WW brass). I will try some of the WW brass and see how it goes.

Anyone with Hornady, or Federal brass experience?

I had a piece of remington brass that had 5 grains less water capacity than all my others. Shooting a near max load i had an over pressure issue

i use 1x fired Black hills match or Federal brass. I buy it from NOMAD here on the site. ~450 pcs for <100$ and have had great luck with it. I second the H1000 i shoot 190 Vlds

Winchester brass has huge neck wall thickness variances... Ive been neck turning them but its not fun to Prep 150 of win brass...ive also had two good lots of nosler and one really bad lot where prImers are falling out but the benifit of ww is the increased case capacity ESP on the 210 and up Projectiles

I'm not knocking any brand of brass; however, I use the best brass I can find, Norma for my 300. I do so for a couple reasons:
1. Flash hole and pocket are uniform and sufficient without modifications.
2. It lasts longer, you get more reloads if the brass isn't overworked.

Using the Larry Willis collet sizing die to eliminate case bulge, I've gotten 512 rounds out of 35 pieces of brass. I've lost 2 cases to worn out primer pockets (won't hold the primer tight). I've lost none to case head separation. They are not light loads either. Berger 190 vld's at 3150 fps, 70.7gr IMR4350, .011 jump, F215M primers.

It's also fairly consistent, 2.5" groups at 600yds no wind.

Good Luck!

I've been shooting hornady brass out of mine with no problems. I had problems with consistency when I was using WW.

I have used Lapua (my supply is almost gone), Norma, Nosler, Winchester, and Remington...I have quite a few 300Win rifles.

Lapua is hands down the best, but is no longer produced.
Please Lapua Please!!???

Next most consistent would be Norma and Nosler..Both of these are a bit soft for real high pressure loads and expand primer pockets easily. They function perfectly at normal pressure.

Winchester is generally a bit better than Remington, but not always. A little patience and blueprinting with either of these will produce accuracy inspiring brass...Nothing as tough as Lapua though. Both are a pretty good buy if you have the time and gear to sort them.