• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag build

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I have been thinking of build a 300 win mag with an 18 to 20" barrel. I have a couple of barrels laying around 11.25 twist. This will have a can on it. How do you think the recoil and velocity will be with an 18" barrel?

Re: 300 win mag build

Depending on the range you expect to shoot and the weight bullet, It'll be a bit emasculated, but should work. I'd recommend IMR4831, IMR4350 or similar powders as they are faster burning and will still get you some velocity.

I shoot 208/210's from my 22" with H1000 and am getting 2870-2900+.

I shot 200's from my 11 twist OK out to 1000 yds. but with 18" ior 20" you may want to stick to 180's or 190's max.

18" is pretty short!
eek.gif

Let me know what you learn.

John

18 inches kinds of defeats the purpose of the 300 WM dosnt it?

When you get it done, you have to get a range report on here. I have a 300WM with a 26 inch barrel. I need a donkey to cart that thang around with me in the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 inches kinds of defeats the purpose of the 300 WM dosnt it?

</div></div>

1+. Mine is at 26".

18" .300 WM = .308 with 26" tube. Well slightly better. You'll need the can to tame muzzle blast. Would not want to next to you on the line with out it.

I think you can expect some headaches from the muzzle blast if you it without the can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 inches kinds of defeats the purpose of the 300 WM dosnt it?

</div></div>

1+. Mine is at 26". </div></div>

same here 26" on my 300 win.mag., I don't think you should go that short with it, maybe stick with a 20"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if I would lose that much in velocity? Has anybody tried this or is this an experiment. </div></div>

You may or may not have read this:

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

I know of no one that has a 300wm that is shorter than 22".

I don't know what will happen, but my guess is you'll be in the 2700's with 200 gr. bullets. *I* wouldn't want to get hit with that. What might also be a concern is all that unburnt powder in your can. On the other hand, the can may actually boost your MV.

Almost everyone I talked to thought it was a bad idea for me to go to a 22" when I rebarreled. I tried it and it works just fine. There's only one way you'll know for sure.
grin.gif

John

That article is with FGMM 190s too. Do the test with H1000 and 208/210grns bullets and I bet it's a little different. I wouldn't go below 24" with a 300WM I planned on shooting long range. I sure as hell wouldn't go 18".

Also what do you gain in handiness putting a 8-9" can on an 18" barrel? Comes out to 26-27" of metal sticking out infront of you. I would rather have it riflesd so it's doing me some good with that big powder charge.

Rob that makes sense. The only reason I was thinking 18 was with the can would be 26". I did not think of the powder charge. Good point. I will rethink the build. I might go with a 22