• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Win Mag Build

Swampdonkey225

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
Louisiana
Hey guys a little new on here so take it easy on me. I've searched a decent amount on similar threads but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. My brothers and I are just getting started reloading our own rounds and I have become very interested in extending the lethality range of my .308. After reviewing the stats the .300 wm seems to cater to my deer/elk hunting needs while still providing superior accuracy down range for when I want to stretch it out on paper. The build I have in mind is made for hunting but with a strong emphasis on accuracy (I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for a better shooting weapon.)
I'm pretty decided on building the rifle around the Proof Research carbon fiber barrel 24inch barrel (with a can) and would like to keep my build under $3,000, I already have the scope.
My question is what would build the rest of the rifle with or would you buy savage 110 ultralight and just replace the stock? I've done a little research on buying the prefit proof barrels but everywhere seems to be out of stock of either the barrel or the action it is fit for. Thanks for your opinions and keep shooting straight.

I saved dollars by building my 300WM off a trued Remington action, bigger bolt knob, fluted bolt and cerokoted brings up looking very nice. Plenty of stock options to choose from triggers etc.

$950 zermatt origin. (or TL3 or lone peak fuzion with different stock)
$850 proof prefit in 300PRC (winmag but better, and if youre reloading there is ADG and Lapua brass)
$1150 mcmillan/manners stock of choice (high end of spectrum. could do KRG bravo chassis, AG Composites stock, etc for more budget friendly or to go higher end on action)
$200 trigger tech special

You might take a serious look at the 300PRC if you aren't tooled up for 300WM already. 3K leaves your options pretty open.

$950 zermatt origin. (or TL3 or lone peak fuzion with different stock)
$850 proof prefit in 300PRC (winmag but better, and if youre reloading there is ADG and Lapua brass)
$1150 mcmillan/manners stock of choice (high end of spectrum. could do KRG bravo chassis, AG Composites stock, etc for more budget friendly or to go higher end on action)
$200 trigger tech special

This right here. Sounds like you are setup on WinMag, that's perfectly fine-- 300PRC is new hotness, but components can be tricky to find.

Savage? You really read up around here?
I thought about buying a savage as a cheap range toy that I could abuse and burn a barrel off of and not be out a lot of cash.

But for a decent hunting/target rifle? Yeah I know 300 Win Mag presents some problems (the usual options are not avilable with heavy, threaded barrels), but with your budget--you can get a semi-custom level (aka SUPER NICE) rifle.

My "budget" rifle ended up a lightly used Bergara Premier at $1400

Thanks for the responses guys great info from all. I was debating with the .300 prc for a while but for my first build I think it'd be wise to stick with a more readily available cartridge to build around, and my brother also has a .300 win mag which would allow us to develop rounds together. Another improved BC build will for sure be in the future.
Is there anywhere y'all have seen any of these items available in stock? Seems as though the 24 inch Proof carbon barrel and Zermatt Origin is a solid route to go. And is there certain model bottom metals that are specifically compatible with stocks and stocks with barrels? Thanks for all the info guys, know I'm a bit of a noob.

First and foremost, great caliber (300WM), my personal favorite for many years. If hunting, I wouldn't do a caliber that is tricky to feed, 300WM ammo is everywhere (except right now.)

On host, I really like using Tikka actions, they are butter-smooth, none of mine have needed blueprinting or trueing, and they have great features that you usually pay much more to add to your R700.

Manners and McMillan make stocks, and there are many chassis options (mine sits in a Whiskey3), you can swap out the plastic shroud and bolt knob if you want.

Tikkas are great guns, very accurate and very strong actions; they are my choice.

But opinions vary.

Thanks for the responses guys great info from all. I was debating with the .300 prc for a while but for my first build I think it'd be wise to stick with a more readily available cartridge to build around, and my brother also has a .300 win mag which would allow us to develop rounds together. Another improved BC build will for sure be in the future.
Is there anywhere y'all have seen any of these items available in stock? Seems as though the 24 inch Proof carbon barrel and Zermatt Origin is a solid route to go. And is there certain model bottom metals that are specifically compatible with stocks and stocks with barrels? Thanks for all the info guys, know I'm a bit of a noob.
i run mcmillan z1 with hawkins m5 dbm for short action. not bedded. never will be.

long action 30SM hunting build going to be another z1 with a hawkins m5 oberndorf bottom metal and wyatts 300prc kit

altus. keystone. mcmillan direct. tons of options for getting stuff in stock

So I have a horizon firearm rebarrel in 300 we and like it a lot. a Big question IMO is what is your comfort range to hunt. For me it’s 400-500 yards. I can shoot steel further but feel comfortable hunting there. If so, you may not need a super high dollar rifle. A good off the shelf rifle should be more then sufficient. if you want a super Nice carbon barrel have at it, but know why you are doing it.

for a hunting rifle I prioritize the optics. I have some good Binos and mark 5 scope so that let me see my last elk moving 20-30 before shooting time. i Saw some cows at 900 yards then saw the bull. I moved to get closer and found them again just after legal shooting time while I was 450 yards away.