• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 win mag case capacity

marshall2015

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
anyone know the case capacity difference between .300 win mag hornady and nosler brass? been using hornady brass and wanting to know how to adjust my load weight for the nosler brass. just from doing some online searching looks like nosler would have about 1.6gr less H2O capacity and should adjust .775 gr powder per gr of water capacity. sound about right?

also who makes 190gr black hills match brass? have some of these laying around too. read it was Winchester then read it was norma. if Winchester then it should be same capacity as hornady but norma would be greater than hornady?

how do you tell? don't know when they stopped using norma but they are in nosler boxes with part #10227. got them off a guy last year. id say he purchased them in 2015.

Black hills is made by Norma not winchester unless something changed in the last year or so.

It's been Winchester for a very long time as the capacities match identically in most cases. Nosler/Norma never made brass with a BHA headstamp.

Black Hills Brass - SnipersHide.com Forums - Scout

Who makes Black Hills brass ? | Shooters' Forum

Brass manufacturers - The Firing Line Forums

for .308 who makes the "best" brass? | The High Road

Price Check - Black Hills 300 Win Mag Match Brass | Free ...

Anyone know who makes RWS 300WM? RWS make their own?

I had thought that Lapua had contracted Norma to make 300 WM for them.

Norma (or Nosler - I can't remember) factory ammunition came with Lapua headstamped brass for a bit - the only way to get Lapua 300 WM brass at the time. I'm not sure why Lapua stopped making the brass though.

RWS was it's own thing. I haven't seen RWS reloading brass in forever though. Is it even still available? I think I still have 40 or 80 pieces of it laying around in some random box here, but Nosler 300WM has worked so well that all of my go-to loads are based off of it.

Black Hills and BHA Match are very different.. and yes, the Match IS (or was at one time) made by Norma. I called them myself about 2 years ago and confirmed this.

I had a bunch of Nosler 300WM brass, but I gave up on it due to quality control issues:

The nosler brass had defective belts which prevented the cases from fitting in the action; the bolt would not close.

Nosler didn't even offer to replace all of the brass... they simply had me sent them the defective cases (which I had to take apart), and they sent me the exact same amount back. This was a huge PITA, and something that has never happened to me with any other vendor.

I always thought the BHA Match stamp was made by Norma. I have a bunch and it's been awesome so far

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

took the brass I had and got an average weight of 7pcs each. the nosler boxed brass averaged 216.2, the hornady 234, and the black hills 263.8. the nosler and hornady was new in box and black hills is once fired cleaned and primer removed, BLH 15 headstamp . based on those weights looks like my nosler is the norma cases and the black hills is the Winchester? if I used my hornady charge weight as a base, is there a calculator on how much % to change my charge weight based on brass weight?

Just use the same load in the Nosler case. It will have a little less pressure. If you try to increase the charge in hopes of matching the velocity you'll wind up in between nodes.