• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag Coyote/Whitetail load?

Tumbleweed77

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
SW Oklahoma
I don't currently load for the 300WM, but do load .243, 6.8, .308, and .30-06. Someone I work with has a Rem. 700 300WM and is wanting a general use load for under 300 yd. coyote and deer in Oklahoma. He was looking at the Bares 130gr TTSX, but I'm thinking with the WM he should go heavier, maybe a 150-165gr Hornady SST or maybe a bonded. I will probably load on the light side since he is mainly concerned with <200ish yd shots. What would you recommend? I have access to 300WM dies and I have 150-180gr projos of differing construction to experiment with.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 300 Win Mag Coyote/Whitetail load?

If your shooting those weights, your missing the point of the .300. I can understand 180 but not 155 grain bullets. Your 30-06 would be better suited. Where a .300 win Mag really shines is with the 200+ bullets such as the 208 amax or 200 plus Berger bullets for example. If you want a 180 range bullet I would suggest the 185 Berger vld. You will have it at 2900 fps easily depending on barrel length & they are hell on deer. Powder would prob be h4350 or h4831sc. Or you could use r22. All that is up to you. didn't mean to come across as a prick. I just dont understand the point of shooting small bullets out of a .30 caliber magnum. It is, as we all know, the only chance we ".30 cal shooters" have of getting bc's comparable to the bench rest guns like 6.5 or 7mm

killing stuff with a 300wm since 1988.....150 has a flat trajector out of the 300 wm it is handy for still hunting varied terrain during rut when deer are moving and shot op is down to seconds.....The 150 would turn a dog into tofu won't be much left to skin!!!

Aimsmall55
I agree with the WM being best with heavy bullets. This is not my rifle, it is someone that I work with. It is his only rifle, and he wants a flat trajectory and somewhat forgiving on his shoulder. Like originally stated he was looking at the Barnes 130 and I am trying to talk him into something heavier, but still have a pbr of ~200 yds. I was thinking 150-165gr loaded to 30-06 velocities would do good for him on Ok dogs and deer since our deer aren't much bigger than dogs. Lol.

Kytrapper
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know he isn't worried about pelts. Strictly population control.

If you're going to load down the .300 Win magnum to 30/06 velocities, you need to be careful about what powder to use. If you use a slower burning powder with lighter charges, you may get hang fires.

I wanted a 150 grain bullet at 30/06 velocities. I was getting hang fires with W-760 @ 65 grains until I switched to a faster powder, I used IMR 4895 @ 63 grains and had no hang fires and a very accurate 150 gr. bullet load. You can go a bit lower, 63 grains is near max.

A few of the loading manuals will have some data using 150 gr. bullets at lower velocities. Speer has a 150 gr. load using 60-64 grains of Re-15.

That big case doesn't like empty space in it using light charges with magnum powders.

Thanks Flight762.

That is what I was looking for. My Nosler book shows 150gr loads with W760 and IMR4895(I have both on hand), but like you said there is a lot of empty space. I was concerned about that and know I have a better idea of what I'll be dealing with. Maybe I can talk him into a heavier bullet, maybe not. I have 150gr to 180gr on hand to try.

Thanks to all who replied.