• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag factory ammo choices

NikolaiS

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Peoria, AZ
www.gothiclabs.com
Bit of a long-winded question here...

I've been using Prvi Partizan 165gr Soft Point BT to maximize my time behind the rifle while minimizing cost. They're cheap at $18/box and have served me well at 100yds, 200yds and then, putting together the fundamentals I've learned here so far, out to 600yds where I was consistently within "X" and "9" on a 600yd target. To *my* standards, that was pretty good.

Then I went to 1000 one a beautiful windless day, and things started getting wierd. One shot "X", next shot off the paper, next shot "9", next shot "1" high right. And so it went for 40 rounds. There seemed no pattern whatsoever.

I'm willing to accept some margin of shooter error here, but the difference between 600 and 1000 was striking, and many people were asking what ammo I was loading.

I'm not to the point of loading yet...eventually I'm sure, once I get a better handle of what's out there. But right now, I'd like to take a look at some quality factory ammo...more as a test run.

I'm looking for repeatable accuracy at 1000, if the shooter is doing his part. If I understand correctly...the heavier bullets drop faster, but aren't affected as much by wind?

I'm still somewhat on a budget. Norma's look nice, not so nice at $60 though.

Some of the ammo that caught my eye:

Cor Bon Match 190gr HPBT: Good rep. The hollowpoint makes me wonder if this would start catching wind drag? $36

Doubletap Accubond: 165gr 180, 200 offerings. Tipped seems more aerodynmic than HP. How's that in practice? $37

Winchester Silvertips and E-Tips: Tipped, look sexy, how do they shoot? $40

RWS: This one gets the wierdness award--long bullet, tipped by short cone. But they promote tons of quality, and "made in Germany" etc...I don't know what I'm looking at there. $47

Others?

Nik

Re: 300 Win Mag factory ammo choices

Give Hornady TAP a go. Not the cheapest but it is about 10 bucks cheaper than Federal gold medal match... You can also give Black Hills and HSM a try, both are reasonably priced.

Corbon should treat you well too, though.

I've had good results with Black Hills Match. Shooting 190 grain bullets.

Cut

I have also had great success with the BH 190's

According to this Ballistics app on the iphone, <span style="font-weight: bold">Double Tap 200gr Nosler Accubond</span> is the best factory load for wind drift. The flattest shooting load on this app is a <span style="font-weight: bold">Winchester 150gr E-Tip</span>.

Can't personally verify any of this, I shoot reloads only..

Go with Federal 190 Match or Hornady 178 AMax; the problem with your 165 grain ammo is the projectile, not the ammo itself. i'd guess it's beginning to transition to subsonic velocities just before the 1000 yard mark. Using a higher B.C. bullet that starts at lower velocities but maintains those velocities farther downrange (yeah, that's a whole 'nother forum) should serve you well and take you to the next level. This may be a good time for you to start reloading to cut your per round costs; there are plenty of shooters here, myself included, who favor the 300Win and can help you with loads and equipment. PM me if you need any help and good luck.

Wes

Hi all.
Thats good timing Nik. Im in almost exactly the same boat as you. Ive just recieved my new AWSM 300wm (last night actually). Im also not in a possition to reload yet due to location, experience and how long I get to spend shooting etc. However, I would like to purchase quality factory ammo that would hold accurate out to 1000 yards. My other requirment is that the brass that the ammo has is good quality to use for reloading further down the track. Ideally Id like to stay with one type of case so when I do start reloading Im good to go. Not have several different brands/types.

Ill be watching this thread closely.....

As above the 190's always worked for me. If you feel the need for initial speed the 178's work. Always felt that the 190's were a good compromise (weight) and loaded right their very accurate.

Thanks to responses. Even if there is some variance in brand, there seems to be a strong trend toward the 190, 200gr bullet. I also didn't realize that the lighter bullets would slow down faster even though they start faster. Hmmm...

Nik

Would someone mind adding a few links to this thread? Maybe some of their favorite places to buy the mentioned goods online. Thanks

JML403-

Corbon ammo available directly from factory-call them 800-626-7266 to order: if you speak with them, they give snipers hide discount!

BH190 are available from several sources on the hide: as best as i can tell from triad's webcite, blems are currently available(can order through his webcite listed in profile) or you could check with dfar (connecticut firearms and tactical). He recently had some listed-just check his profile for webcite and call

FGMM 190s occaisonally pop up in the for sale section, just keep eyes peeled. Also available in many non hide vendor sights

my apologies to any vendors i may have overlooked or not mentioned

Shooting factory ammo is a waste of time. Get yourself a reloading press and stop messing with factory ammo. It will never perform.

cav- I might try out some of those blems, seems like a good cheap way to shoot. I've had good luck ordering badger junk from Triad so im sure they'd get the ammo out in a hurry as well. $1.50 a round is do-able for volume shooting but when you get to $2+ the .308 starts taking all the shots.

Downzero- Yeah the "get a press" comment always comes up, but at this point in life with limited time and space I'd rather just buy and shoot. More time for my family, but as soon as I have a good space for it and a little more free time i'll have a nice bench set up.

I live in a studio and reload with a dillon on an $18 Ikea table.

If I don't have time to reload, I don't shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in a studio and reload with a dillon on an $18 Ikea table.

If I don't have time to reload, I don't shoot. </div></div>

That's fantastic, how does your wife like that? Where do you put all the baby stuff??? Based on your comment, I'm going to assume my life, and obligations, are vastly different than yours at the moment.

JML403-Blems do work well, but corbon with the discount is running in the same price range. FGMM little pricier but good!

All of the guys i mentioned are GTG-triad(steve) and darin (dfar)are great to deal with.

I reload most of the time but having the factories on hand when needed sure is nice and they certainly perform

That is classic transonic instability. Were any of the holes in the target sideways?

I haven't run the numbers on 165's but move up to at least the 190's or heavier bullets.

you can shoot the 165's ate short ranges and the heavies/expensive at longer.

I've always had good results with Black hills

I have a follow up question here, I pick up 200 rounds of Black hills and do they mark their blems boxes with anything to distiguish it? I bought from a source mentioned around this site and I have to say the ammo looks like shit. Like I would expect blems to look ie: tarnished dirt covered primers. Im just wondering If I got blems for new prices...

I hate gripers without pictures as much as everyone else so here's what im talking about. I have a comparison picture with a FGMM .308 round that is 3 yrs old, next to the "brand new" I just received. All ten boxes look this way so im thinking its blems that the company passed as new. I also ordered some from Midway hoping to not see the same thing. What say you guys??

P1020571.jpg

PC310570.jpg