• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag Howa 1500 Prefit Help

lr300

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2019
I have spoken to Shilen, Criterion, and Preferred Barrel Blanks so far. I really wanted a hand lapped new barrel for this Howa 1500 action. It has served me well with just over 1,000 rounds through it. Using ELDX 200 and 212 grain bullets exclusively with H1000 ranging from 75 to 77. It has been a .6 moa shooter first 3 rounds, getting shots 4 and 5 below 1 moa has been a challenge lately. Farthest I have shot this rifle has been 600 yards as it is my hunting rifle.

So there is a small bit of background. Now for the disappointment. Shilen does not make a prefit for Howa, Criterion makes them for pretty much everything but the 300 win mag, and Preferred Barrel Blanks will make one but not hand lapped. Nothing against gunsmithing, but I have a Savage in 6.5 creedmoor that uses barrel nut technology and is a .3 moa rifle and installing barrels is easy.

So what are my options at this point, have to much money invested in MDT chassis, as I have 2 of these rifles and love them. Buying another barreled action is not the road I want to go down. Please some advise would be welcome.

Attachments

• 300win mag target_image.jpg
    300win mag target_image.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 300 wim mag 2target_image.jpg
    300 wim mag 2target_image.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 57
This is a start.

maybe talk with keystone accuracy about a button rifled barrel.

Oregon mountain rifles has carbon fiber 300 win mag prefits for 675
Thank you, I would have never found these guys. Have you had any experience with Oregon Mountain Rifles? Would they compare to Proof Barrels.

I have no experience with them. Spoke with the guy a few time. Seams like a good guy to do business with. He puts a lot of groups and successful customer hunts on his Instagram. Might be worth a shot.