• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win mag load info: MK248 mod 1, 220 gr OTM

Westwind

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
AZ
Has anyone here tried to duplicate the Army's 300 Win mag sniper load ? : MK248 mod 1, 220 gr. OTM.

If so results would be of great interest.

Thank you

77 grains of H1000 in a Win case got me 2930 under a Lapua 220 gr Scenar. Seated longer than the 3.5" the Navy spec'd. CCI Magnum primer.
That's pretty close, out of a 24" barrel.

I pulled some apart and they were 77.6 to 77.7 grn of H1000 and the pill is a 220 SMK BTHP.

The Mod 0 is 74.2 to 74.4 Grains of RL22 and a 190 grain SMK BTHP.

Charge weights will vary from powder lot to powder lot. They were loaded for velocity, not charge weight. Each powder lot was tested and the load weight was adjusted to get 2950 fps for the spec.

If you want to reproduce the mod 0 perfectly I just saw some FC 07 MOD 0 brass for sale on gunbroker for a good price. ($240 for 500) I purchased 2,500 from this seller 3 months ago and it was extremely good quality. Mod O brass did not have crimped primers so reloading them was super easy (other than trimming 2,500 cases... which was a real drag)

The Mod 1 rounds are punishing to both the shooter and the rifle and you will see flat and slightly cratered primers with that load, I stick with loading the Mod 0 for my NEMO and they are "just right" in my opinion.