• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag load

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
just purchased a savage 10fcp h&s precision in 300 win mag and ive done soem research but having a hard time deciding on powder and bullet weight. i saw where fgmm is 190gr. is this kinda standard load like 168 for 308? as far as powder i was looking on hodgdon and seems like imr 4350 seems to give good velocity but what i read seems more people like 4831 and rl22 i belive. thanks guys

Re: 300 win mag load

I don't use a 190 but for 168, I use H4831, so good, I would be foolish to mess with anything else. But, the other two you mention would be good choices, worth trying for sure. BB

yeah im thinking about using 4831 in some 190 gr smk. then use h1000 in some 208 amax's. any pet loads on those two?

Nope, I wouldn't even mention my H4831 load, as it's almost four grains over max, depending on who's data you look at. By the way, I think it is preferable to always use the prefix "H" or "IMR" when discussing that particular extruded powder, even sc, for whichI never saw the need, although my load is very slightly compressed? I have another 243 based variation and the "max" load of IMR is about 3½ grains less than the H max load, which produces higher velocity so that's the one I use. BB

i guess i should add they will be in winchester brass. savage 10fcp 1:10 twist.

pretty much got it down to h1000 powder. i may try some 4831 after i find a good one with the h1000 as it seems to be preferred. seems around 78 grains is what most people running. any input is greatly appreciated. anyone have any fgmm clones for the 300 win mag? it kinda what im goin for i guess

I'm pretty new to the 300 WM world, but it looked to me like 180 grain bullet was a good choice.

H4831sc @72.5 grains = one ragged hold 5 times in a row

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H4831sc @72.5 grains = one ragged hold 5 times in a row

Rich </div></div>

what bullet weight u running with that?

thanks ilocansniper!! so most of the time 76-78 gr of h1000 is what looks like a good starting point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like h4831 for my 200 grain nosler hunting load. shoots .585 in my A bolt </div></div>

how many grains and any idea on velocity?
thamks

69.5 grains and i do not usually chrono my hunting loads as i have yet to find a whitetail that can tell the velocity or es

thanks guys, im gonna buy some 208 amax's and i cant decide if i want 190 or 200, 210 smk's. leaning toward the 200. i already have the 168 gr smk's but that was for my 308.

Maybe you need to find some friends with those bullets because you really should try all of them, leave no stone unturned. Borrow a few for testing?

One thing for sure. You can't decide which of those bullets that your rifle will prefer by reading message boards! BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you need to find some friends with those bullets because you really should try all of them, leave no stone unturned. Borrow a few for testing?

One thing for sure. You can't decide which of those bullets that your rifle will prefer by reading message boards! BB </div></div>

ha ha! you are correct sir!!! i just was wondering what experiences u guys had within that weight range. whenever i find out ill share with u guys!

I've had good luck with H1000 and 180gr SGK and 180gr SSTs. Also found a good load with RL-19 and 168gr TTSX bullets.

(These are all hunting loads)

thanks again guys. much appreciated. my dad already has both of the 4831 so ill pick up some h1000 and see what i can come up with in the 190 and 200 smk and 208 amax's. ill use your loads a references!

I use IMR 4831 for my 180's i hunt with, shoots lights out, I also use h1000 for my 190's and above and so far have had great results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShtrRdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty new to the 300 WM world, but it looked to me like 180 grain bullet was a good choice. </div></div>
The 200s and heavier are a lot better in the wind...Which is why most of us use them.

Let your 300 be all it can be.
smile.gif