• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag muzzel break or no break

darrindlh

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
All opinions are welcome. What do you guys prefer?
Thanks
Darrin

Re: 300 win mag muzzel break or no break

my preference
MVC-018F-1.jpg

My kimber with an A-5 had a little bite to it since it had the 1/4" pad from McM. I opted for a break and it makes a huge difference in comfort and shooting. I went with the VIAS but have used the ops inc and badgers,. They are all nice units and work well. Its a very shootable rifle without the break but I much prefer it.

Ya know I would just like to spot my shots. I have never had a muzzel break before. When my project is complete I hope to have a 10 to 12 lb rifle with a Kirby Allen slim port break. Hopefully I will be able to spot my shots

Darrin

I have a Badger FTE brake on mine. Love shooting it.

Get the break. If you'll be shooting prone, stay away from breaks with holes all the way around. APA's little bastard would be great for the WM.

A good VAIS-type brake will turn that 300WM slap into a steady push.

Target crown for the win...at least until I can get my barrel threaded for a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its kinda like asking....Do you want a wife with or without an attitude? </div></div>

True... but in this case if your wife starts treating you better, she's nasty to everyone else around you.
grin.gif

I love the way my 300 drives with a brake, but my friends clear out when I take the line. My spotter wants hazardous duty pay. Even sitting 5 yards behind me, he still gets whacked with concussion.

John

If you plan to shoot it often, a brake is highly recommended. 1 or 2 rounds here and there is no big deal. And- do NOT get a Vias brake. IMO, one of the worst brakes out there. A Tubb brake or little or big bastard brake are the top muzzle brakes out there. They are very effecient, and are prone friendly.

...The Vias work fine...in fact all my rifles and cans are threaded for the vias,....been that way for years, in fact my kiddos can hit golf balls with a .300wm with no tears or flinch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Badger FTE brake on mine. Love shooting it. </div></div>

FTE on my .300WM is incredibly effective, more so than a suppressor. Not kind to anyone but the shooter though.....

thank you guys for all of the responses. I would like to shot prone for sure. What have you heard about the deffensive edge muzzel brake. Any good. On there website it state that their brakes will reduce 50% of the recoil. any thoughts?

muzzle brake not break.

i shot a 15 lb 300 win mag with 210 vlds at about 2950 for a long time with no brake. 50 rounds in a couple hours were the norm during a match. i have since started shooting lighter recoiling callibers with muzzle brakes and decided i will put a brake on my win mag when i rebarrel it. it never hurt or bothered me to shoot the win mag without a brake but it is so much easier to stay on target with a brake. i am thinking i will have a brake on all my builds 308 and larger for now on. things like a .243 or a .260, probably not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know I would just like to spot my shots....Hopefully I will be able to spot my shots</div></div>You don't need a brake to spot your shots. That's a myth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need a brake to spot your shots. That's a myth. </div></div>

Hmm... I have a 12.5 lb. 300wm with a brake, driving 208's at just under 2900 fps. *Occasionally* I can spot my shots at 100 yds. 300 yds. every time. My son has a 7.5 lb. 300wm and there is NO WAY IN HELL either of us can spot shots at 100 yds with it. You might want to un-blanket that statement.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know I would just like to spot my shots....Hopefully I will be able to spot my shots</div></div>You don't need a brake to spot your shots. That's a myth. </div></div>

NEED, depends on range. I can spot my shots at 1k yards I would guess 3 out of 4 shots. Havn't even tried 100-300. The weather hasn't given me the chance to shoot since my thruster was installed, but I'm guessing it will be a lot more pleasurable to shoot all around including spotting.

Ya I would have to agree with john. I was shooting mine at 100 - 400 yrds. I could not spot a single one after 17 shots. It weighs 7.5 - 8lb. Now this is going to be a project, a re build. I am going to keep the same caliber but go with a heavier fluted barrel and mcmillan stock. but that is not until next year when the funds are in the bank. So I want to shot it alot and practice with it as much as possible.

I got a lil bastard break on my 300wm 5R. I couldnt shoot it more then 2 times before. Now i got to 12 and ran out of ammo. Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the break. If you'll be shooting prone, stay away from breaks with holes all the way around. APA's little bastard would be great for the WM. </div></div>

APA's little bastard is not just a good one, its a great one!

I use a Badger FTE on mine.The recoil is much less than expected.I can usually spot my shots.My shoulder is not even a little sore after shooting 50 rounds. However as expected the muzzle blast is not pleasant for those shooting near you.
I have a shark suppresor for my 300 WM but I actually felt more recoil with the suppressor than with the muzzle break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need a brake to spot your shots. That's a myth. </div></div>Hmm... I have a 12.5 lb. 300wm with a brake, driving 208's at just under 2900 fps. *Occasionally* I can spot my shots at 100 yds. 300 yds. every time. My son has a 7.5 lb. 300wm and there is NO WAY IN HELL either of us can spot shots at 100 yds with it. You might want to un-blanket that statement.John </div></div>Keep your eyes open; don't blink, you'll see them.

And I agree that with a 300WM in a pocket pistol, and no brake, it would be hard to spot your shots. Not impossible. Just hard.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338lmshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a shark suppresor for my 300 WM but I actually felt more recoil with the suppressor than with the muzzle break. </div></div>

This has been my experiance as well when shooting with a can. A can can't compare, with an effective brake.
smile.gif

Just recently purchased my first 300wm a few months ago and it came threaded with a VAIS brake installed. Shooting FGMM 190's I was suprised at how little recoil it had. As far as how loud and what it does to a spotter or others around me, I hav'nt had any complaints but suffice to say we all are wearing hearing protection regardless. Good Luck.

I think everything is better with a brake. I shoot with ear muffs so why not... It makes it much more fun to shoot.

DoubleG

I have a kdw brake on my 300RUM and it now feels like shooting my AR15. the only thing I would suggest is you get one that either ports the gases up and back or to the sides and up and back, in the prone position it makes a hell of a could of dust when fired.

I have a Vias break on my .300WM it works great able to spot my shots. Have shot .300WM without a break but its a lot more fun with a break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleGobble00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think everything is better with a brake. I shoot with ear muffs so why not... It makes it much more fun to shoot.

DoubleG </div></div>

Everything is better with a brake, for the shooter. It's the poor SOB on the firing line next to you (if you do that sort of shooting) that takes the beating, ear muffs or not.

It's not like anybody really cares about their spotter, or the competitor lying prone next to them on either side.

Seeing your shot is nice, of course, as is the real recoil reduction. But shoot your brake when shooting alone, and give the rest of us a break.

Of course I could be harsh, and say if your shooting a 15+ lb 300 Win Mag, and you need recoil reduction, you should take up something less unnerving, like knitting perhaps.....

But brakes do make shooting more pleasant, but only for you....

I know what you mean.. I shoot with a friend in some of their corn field so I am never at a range and we take turns shooting. I hear that they can be a real pain at the range. I don't think I would bring mine to a range but if shooting alone or like I do.. You can't beat a brake. I just ordered a nice brake from straight shot gunsmithing. Can't wait to try it out.

DoubleG

Ops-Inc. Muzzle Brake on my GAP....I don't know how all you guys can shoot 50 rounds with no problem....After 20 my shoulder is starting to change colors! I don't think my Hooters T shirt is doing its job???

I had a GAP Rock built in 300WM with a Badger Thruster brake. It hardly kicked at all. You forget that its a 300 and start shooting it like a 308. Easy to wreck a barrel that way.

A brake on a 300WM for sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It hardly kicked at all. You forget that its a 300 and start shooting it like a 308. Easy to wreck a barrel that way. </div></div>

This is a *very* good point. I found that the natural recoil of the un-braked 300 kept my shots to an acceptable rhythm. Now I have to be very disciplined when I shoot to space my shots and let the barrel cool. I have to say I'm a bit jealous of those guys that can pound out 10 shots rapid fire from their .308's!

John

Thank you for all of the replys. You guys are great. I am going to certainly get a muzzel break on the new barrel. I am going to go with a deffensive edge break since I live in Idaho I can go and pick it up. I will post how effective it is

Darrin

My first built 300wm, had a Holland brake, it only added 1.25" to the stick. When I rebarreled it at 5440 rds I went back with another Holland. Shot lots of others along the way, nothing came close to the Holland. Getting one for the .308win, this one will be from Liberty Suppressor's, (David's own design) as will the next 300wm brake.

Cans are nice, but not near as effective(recoil) as a brake, and that is fact. Besides, shoot a comp. with a can, where a can cover is not allowed, and see how long before you start thinking brake. Everyone whines about brakes, until they have shot one. If it's real, a can is the only way to dance, if just playing, screw the brake on and don't look back. YMMV

yep, those holland style brakes realy work on the 7mm/ 300 mag class rifles.

The only gun I own without a brake is my .260 and I am thinking about putting a brake on it. I didn't fire my 300 winnmag or my .375 until the brakes were in place. If you are tuff enough to shoot winning scores without a brake you are the man. As for the other guy on the line? Until they require no brakes all my guns will have a brake. That is what ear plugs and muffs are for. If somebody isn't tuff enough to hang in there while I am shooting my guns with Brakes then perhaps they should take up something less unnerving, like knitting perhaps.... Jeff

Icanhithimman,
Do you have a web address for your brake

Darrin

Not to belabor the point, but shooting most stuff with a brake just makes for a longer and more pleasurable shooting day.

I agree hill billy,\
If someone could make their 300 shot like a 243 then I am game for sure. Or even a 308.

Darrin

Well, I have a brake on my 300wm and, it doesn't quite shoot as soft as my M1A but, it's not bad to shoot all day and, I'm launching 220s out of mine at about 2800fps and, I haven't developed a flinch.

IMHO, you need a brake on almost anything that beats or, could, beat you up. You're going to shoot it better with one and, you're going to enjoy shooting it more.

A few months ago I shot my AI AWSM 300wm with the brake side by side next to an older wooden stocked factory hunting rifle also in 300wm. OMG what a difference!! Shooting the older rifle gave the sholder a good work out. But then shooting the AW felt more like a "Pulse" as opposed to "Recoil". It was actually kinda relaxing.

Any disadvantages to a brake other than the cost? What about hearing loss even with ear protection, I've already lost 40% as a kid with no ear protection, can't stand to loose any more hearing????