• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag, new reloader, advice?

barrysuperhawk

Proud Member of the WFTDTSG club
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Central Illinois
A good friend of mine just had a Winchester 300 win mag rifle given to him by his dad. When he went to look at ammo, the sticker shock bout killed him and his first call to me was "teach me to reload".

So, we have him set up with a single stage press, dies and goodies are on the way, as is a bag or two of brass. The equipment is covered, at least well enough to get him started.

My question runs to loads. I have loaded .308 and 30-06 but neve 300 winmag, so I want to make sure I point him in the right direction.

So, what are good starting points for this? I am not asking specific loads, but I want to make sure that his bullet/powder combonation leave him little opportunity to screw up I.E. as close to 100% capacity with a standard load as possible. So, what would be a good powder/bullet combo to try out? More importantly, is there anything I should avoid?

Re: 300 Win Mag, new reloader, advice?

Is the gun for hunting? If so RL 22 and 200 grain Accubonds

190gr or 200gr SMK, 208gr A-max, 210gr Berger over a suitable amount of RL-22, H1000, IMR7828, or H4831SC for longer range.

Matching the performance for Federal Gold Medal Match is a good place to start. Check Federals website for thier velocities with 190gr SMK, and start working up a load to match it.

Lighter bullets can be pushed pretty fast but is not real economical...lots of powder for little velocity gains.

I do kinda like 125gr BT noslers over RL19 running around 3450 fps...decimates varmits.

Which part of central Illinois are you from?

Mine Likes 190smk's loaded with the Remington 9 1/2 m Primers 70.4 of R-22 and Winchester Brass.

About 77 grains of RL25 with the 208 AMAX. There is a ton of info under the reloading depot. You may want to check it out. Lots of good info. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Which part of central Illinois are you from? </div></div>

Springfield, but my buddy is in MO.

Looks like 190's and RL22 assuming I can find either one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 77 grains of RL25 with the 208 AMAX. There is a ton of info under the reloading depot. You may want to check it out. Lots of good info. Good luck </div></div>

That's part of the problem, there's aLOT of info, but having 87 different recipies doesent help me to pick just one to start with. Without this advice, I would be picking loads at random to start with.

I have been shooting 190s and VVN560 - but now live in an area where the wind never quits, so working up a new load with 210 Berger VLDs and H1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">190gr or 200gr SMK, 208gr A-max, 210gr Berger over a suitable amount of RL-22, H1000, IMR7828, or H4831SC for longer range.

Matching the performance for Federal Gold Medal Match is a good place to start. Check Federals website for thier velocities with 190gr SMK, and start working up a load to match it.

Lighter bullets can be pushed pretty fast but is not real economical...lots of powder for little velocity gains.

I do kinda like 125gr BT noslers over RL19 running around 3450 fps...decimates varmits.

Which part of central Illinois are you from?</div></div>

All excellent choices. I've seen excellent results with H1000 and the 210 Berger. OAL just a few thousandths into the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">190gr or 200gr SMK, 208gr A-max, 210gr Berger over a suitable amount of RL-22, H1000, IMR7828, or H4831SC for longer range.

Which part of central Illinois are you from? </div></div>

^ This about covers it.

For 180gr pills H4350 works well also (Partition Hunting Load), IME. My rifle liked 190SMk's, 208 AMAX or 210 Berger's (RL-22 or H1000).

I stick with 190s and RL-22. I have had pretty good luck with IMR 4350 as well.