• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win. Mag. OAL & Reloading

Dollman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2011
Sacramento, Ca.
Hello new to forum here.

I've been shooting a 300 Win. Mag. I had built a year ago for 1000 yard target. Works great when I do my part. Bought new Nosler brass and Berger 210 gr. (part # 30419) target bullets to load for it. When rifle was new I loaded a couple hundred rounds to OAL of 3.340" which worked out well. Due to my business travel and lack of time to reload since then, I've been using Black Hills 190 gr. target factory ammunition. It's also has worked out well. Now I have some time and want to get to loading the 210 gr. Berger bullets for this rifle.

I just figured out the COAL of the rifle and it measures to 3.631" (2.921" to ogive). The original 200 rounds of ammunition that I loaded of the 210 gr. Bergers as well as the Black Hills 190 gr. target ammunition was / is loaded to a length of 3.340". This leaves 0.291" jump. Seems like alot of clearance to me.

I think I want to start with .030" clearance or bullet jump for my loads. So I've decided to round off for the total overall length of my ammunition to 3.600" or 2.890" to ogive to start with. This gives me more than enough clearance for my AI magazines.

My questions for you 300 Win. Mag. folks are:

Is the 210 gr. Berger, being shorter than the 240 gr. SMK that the chamber of this rifle appears to be made to accomodate, going to work for this load with an overall lenght of 3.600"?

Although the 210 gr. Bergers appear to be more than long enough to seat to this shallower depth to get to an overall length of 3.600", will it work without having problems with bullet run out?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb but this is the first attempt for me at loading beyond reloading manual specs to custom match ammunition to rifle chamber.

Re: 300 Win. Mag. OAL & Reloading

As above.

My loads are at least 10mm to the lands, (say .500 tops) and it shoots better than that at 100 yards (.5 that is).

I am in the same boat, work wise, and I have the feeling if it aint broke dont fix it, I'd rather not be single loading and get .5 groups, when im shooting, I want to be shooting.

IMHO anyways

Chris