• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag on the "Cheap"

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Been shooting a lot of my 300 WIn Mag. While I have a lot going on in the non-magnum category, I just really enjoy this rifle. Problem is I am shooting on my "first" rifle which is a 90s era Rem BDL. hunting rifle. I'd like to keep it a hunting rifle for now as it was literly the first rifle I bought.

SO what I was looking for is a more modern "range toy"--lots of shooting out to 1000, but nothing super-duper ELR. Yes I know its well done with a 6 or 6.5. I have those. This is my "WTF I don't care I have a small penis and I'm compensating gun"
Heavy Barrel type profile
Threaded Barrel for muzzle device/suppressor 5/8-24 (thats what my suppressor is).
Adjustable stock/chassis (I need check height adjustment almost 100% of the time and LOP for monkey boy arms).
Box Magazine (this one is fun).
Able to do "Garage" re-barrels--barrel nut system or pre-fit barrels.
Budget: As little as possible (nice and definite right)

What I've looked at:
Savage 110. -- checks all the boxes, but its also a Savage. Lots of reports on ejector issues and such
Bergara HMR--found one the other day for $700. Of course It cannot be rebarreled at home (as far as I know) and no ability to get a box magazine. This was SUPER tempting
Howa/DIY -- Bastards threaded it 1/2-28 or this is a done deal. I did A short action in Howa--this is my sweet spot on price/performance. But those damn barrel threads kill my suppressor option
RPR: Ok checks the boxes, but the mag offerings are a big step up from the Short Actions in price. Yes I am complaing about price because at $1700 I'm almost at a custom gun so I should at that point just do:

Origin Barreled Action: I'm a goddman tightwad. (or get a "Production PRS rifle" is 300 PRC, its sorta 300 Win Mag for Millenials)

Anything else I'm missing.
My thought is--just buy the bergara, shoot the barrel off and then try again/rebarrel at gunsmith (ugh). I can live w/o the magazine, but I do like em.

Last edited:
Bergera will serve you well

That said my 300 WM is a savage and is one of my most accurate rifles I own

Most will either be 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 (yours shows 5/8-28 above) not sure if it’s a typo but most will be 5/8-24 for 30 cal barrels

Yeah fixed the typo--its the standard 5/8 thread. Both Bergara and Howa are just a few ticks short of perfect for this situation. The boogey man of the barrel change and having to send it off to a smith is the Bergara Killer (plus it even has a large bolt knob!). The thread pitch of 1/2 on the Howa. F ME and my OCD.

Yeah fixed the typo--its the standard 5/8 thread. Both Bergara and Howa are just a few ticks short of perfect for this situation. The boogey man of the barrel change and having to send it off to a smith is the Bergara Killer. The thread pitch of 1/2 on the Howa. F ME and my OCD.

You can get a adapter for 1/2-28 to 5/8-24. I used them on my AR before getting a dedicated can for that platform

I think Brownells sells them for $10. I have and used a couple of them for the same reasons as hafkd30. Now I use dedicated cans for all my 5.56 rifles.

If 1/2x28 is the only thing holding you up, I’d go with the Howa and run the adaptor for your cans.

so the adapater is a workable solution for big calibers? Hmmm learn something new everyday I guess.

Was gunshy as my first mount was wonkey and my supressor had to be RMA'd, trying to KISS, but if it works, yeah that's the ticket

I built my “cheap” 300 WM out of a Remington 783. Replaced the factory barrel with a 26” Criterion bull match barrel and a Boyd’s stock. It has the factory magazine but PTG makes a bottom metal /box magazine for it.

0A8EBEA1-9A55-4338-B39A-D5CA147CC9B4.jpeg

Reactions: DocRDS
You actually don't need an adapter but it does complicate things. I've had two .308 rifles with pencil thin barrels. They didn't have enough metal to thread for 5/8-24 so I had them done 1/2-28. Most manufacturers have muzzle devices with this thread pitch but a 30 caliber aperture. SiCo and Rugged do anyway. I've been running both on my rifles with no issues.