• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua

bb24fu

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Looking for opinions on which caliber for first long range rifle. Looking at Sako TRG's.

Re: 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua

Unless you are independently wealthy 300WM loaded with 220's or there abouts will serve you well depending on your definition of "long range".

Cheers,

Doc

1000 yards or less.....300 WM. Plus..Doc is right about the cost. Hell..you can shoot Much smaller cartridges than a 300 WM with similar ballistics and better. 260. 243, 6mm Rem, etc...

There are so many great choices out there it'll make your head spin if you do not know what you are talking about. Use the search function and READ READ READ. Then after you know a little something about the various cartridge selections, barrel twist, ballistic co-efficients, etc, then ask your question---if you still need to--and then you many actually be able to interpret the advice you receive.

As it stands now, all you will understand is what cartrdige someone else selects for you---what you need to understand is WHY that cartridge will suit you best.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for life

I remember someone saying recently,"I <span style="font-style: italic">thought</span> I bought a rifle chambered for .338 Lapua.... but actually, it shoots Five-Dollar-Bills."

.300WM with heavy bullets will take you to 1600 yards, for alot less money.

The Lapua is really a different animal. If you're not <span style="font-style: italic">sure</span> you need one, you probably don't.

Marc

i had the same dilemma... i ended up buying a .300 WM due to cost.

I think it will take the fun away when blowing $200 on ammo every time you want to take a shot.

Saying that i still would love to own one!

Are you using cartridge for hunting aswell?

I would choose neither. Go with 7MM WSM, it will outperform the 300WM and will keep up with the .338 out to 1800? yards. Plus its not a belted case like the 300WM and runs on a short action.

300WM...you do not need a Lapua. No one starting out or even waist deep it shooting NEEDS a Lapua. When you get chin deep get as 338 Lapua, but be sure to find a range that has 1200 yards plus or you are basicly shooting 100 yards with a 50BMG!!!! Sorry Josh!!!

300WM because if you don't hand load you can still get Match ammo...7mmWSM....not sure!

here is a thought..........................

one day you may wish to shoot a match......that is restricted to NATO ammo

i'm just sayin...

What exactly do you plan on doing with the rifle? and what distances do you have access to shoot at? I'd say go with the 300wm, but you may not even need that.

My question is, will this be your first precision rig? How much time have you spent shooting at ranges over 600 yards or more?

The reason I ask is that unless you've got a good amount of time and reasonable confidence at 600 yards, you may be starting out a little heavy. There was a post a few months back that Lowlight wrote about how most people should do the majority of their practice with a 308, something that they can shoot all day without worrying about recoil but still be able to reach out a long way. It really made sense to me, both economically and practically.

Now if you've already got a 308 rig that you've put a few thousands rounds through at some long distances and you're ready for extremely long range, then by all means have at the big boomers. I'm sure it's fun as hell. But I wouldn't choose a 300WM or a 338 LM for a rifle I'm going to learn how to do long range shooting with.

Reactions: HRK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marc357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember someone saying recently,"I <span style="font-style: italic">thought</span> I bought a rifle chambered for .338 Lapua.... but actually, it shoots Five-Dollar-Bills."

.300WM with heavy bullets will take you to 1600 yards, for alot less money.

The Lapua is really a different animal. If you're not <span style="font-style: italic">sure</span> you need one, you probably don't.

Marc </div></div>

And you can add a dollar or more for each round fired for a barrel. Especially if you have a Blaser.

I gotta swim against the tide here and say got with the Lapua. As the guy at my gun store says to me all the time, Money is a renewable resource and Vise loves you. Go with the big BOOM BOOM baby.

+1 I have both and there is nothing like a 338 lapua when you pull the trigger.. Unless you go bigger!

Hell, if money is no object go the Lapua.

If you want to shoot a big load economically, .300WM isnt a bad round...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bb24fu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for opinions on which caliber for first long range rifle. Looking at Sako TRG's. </div></div>

I have both. If your average distance is less than 1500 yards, go with the 300 win mag using the 208 AMAX bullet. If your distance is beyond that then there is no question the 338 LM will deliver better at around 1 mile <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">reliably.</span></span> With the cost of the Lapua bullets soaring, I can't go and shoot a bunch of the 338 LM at every setting. Just a though to keep in mind.

If you are just punching paper, then the 7 mm WSM may not be a bad choice at all. Ballistically it does quite well compared to the 30 caliber.

I'll sell you a TRG-42 .338LM with the Sako folding stock if you're interested. Complete with bipod, muzzle brake, hard case, extra mag...

I own both, I don't shoot the 300 any longer. Both my 338's will surgically perform at 100 yards as well as 1760 and further. I have cold bore shots at 1830 yards in dicey conditions, the 300 can't touch it. The real issue is a first round hit at any given distance for me is much more satisfying than shooting until you hit your target. I'm no guru but once 1000 yards become mundane, I've got a great long range North of Phoenix out to 2035 yards.

Good luck, I own an Accuracy 338 LM and a Surgeon 338, both rock but 300 grainers w/ my Surgeon are unbelievable and Preston @ Surgeon is the Best in the bs to work w/. Just my experience.

JTG
Where in North Phoenix, if you wouldn't mind disclosing, can you get a 2000+ yards range?

300 win mag, with ammo only going up and components scarce i would look into a economical optics because if this your first rifle the bug has just hit.. you might be thinking 3-5 dollars a shot is fine if you treated it like your deer rifle that comes out of the same a few times a year and sees no rounds.

i bought a 308 to learn the ropes and a savage 22 lr, if its below 300 yards these days the 308 doesnt come out i save that for 600+ shooting

I have owned a TRG-42 in both 338 and 300 at the same time (and 308 for that matter). After putting several hundred rounds through both rifles, I got rid of the 338 and kept the 300 (punted the 308 as well). I could not justify the expense (nearly double) or the percussion of the 338 when compared to the 300 with 210 Bergers. The Sako TRG in 300WM is a great rifle.

I shoot paper, clay targets, steel and hunt with my TRG-42 300.

Thank you everyone for the great replies. I will definately take 19Scout77's advice and continue to read and research. I am looking to use the rifle for paper (maybe a competition someday) and possibly a little hunting. I have a Browning A-Bolt 7mmMag that can handle any hunting I need. I am looking for something to get into when I can't hunt and challenge myself to get better and learn more about shooting. I will reload for whatever I get. Again, thank you very much.