• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag recoil

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
i just bought a 110 fcp hs precision stock. it weighs 9 lbs. i put a vortex viper scope and im going to put a harris bipod on it. what kind of recoil is this thing goin to have. ive shot pleanty of rifles but ive never shot a 300. shot 270's and plenty of nagants lately. my thinking is with that weight and bipod should take some of the bite out of it. also what kind of recoil pad comes on the hs preciision stock? if its more than i want i was going to buy a slip on limbsaver and slide it over the existing pad to reduce it. (i know it will affect my lop). thanks guys

Re: 300 win mag recoil

I've got a 300 win mag AI probably weighs in the range of 15-16 pounds loaded and the recoil isn't all that bad. More then a 308 but not enough to make it uncomfortable. I've put 40-50 rounds through it in a day and wasn't really feeling any effect. If it is to much for you I'd look into havin a brake installed. A little more money but it noticably will reduce the recoil.

In a rifle that heavy the recoil is nothing to worry about. I suggest you get out to the range and try it out, before you spend additional money to try to reduce the felt recoil.

If you really want to reduce the felt recoil, have the barrel threaded and install a brake or a suppressor.

I own and have shot a .300wm quite a bit and it depends on a few things but really you have to try it how your going to use it and see if it suits you.
Once you have a brake on any of the mags you get kinda spoied. I'm trying to sell my .300wm right now cause I got a GAP in 300WSM that has a break on it and man is that brake nice.

My .300wm is fairly heavy at ~15lbs but I think it kicks pretty decent.
It's not too bad to where it hurts me but after firing a bunch in a row I notice my self flinching a little and I have to stop and really concentrate to stop myself.
How much recoil you feel with your rifle will depend on how you intend to shoot it, for instance prone will have the most felt recoil, where standing you have the least felt recoil, bench shooting is inbetween the two for felt recoil.
Also the heavier bullets will give you quite a bit more felt recoil than a lighter bullet.
For instance I don't even notice the recoil when I'm shooting 125 grs that are screaming fast but when I put a 208 Amax in there at 2850fps you feel it.

You should shoot it and then decide but if it's still at a smith and it were me I'd have him thread it.
You get the best of both worlds this way, a brake for when you need it and a thread protector for when you don't want it on there.

Rammer, used to hunt with 270 all the time and many years ago and wondered the same thing.

I have an old wood stock model 70 winny 300wm that I had fixed up for me by a smith in Spring,Tx with a brake as well....its weight is around 12 lbs..lets just say the recoil (for me) is the same as the 270.

Now on the other hand I have an TC encore single shot with a 300wm barrel and you can shoot it but it has a little more thump then the winny but it is manageable but after about 20 rounds your ready to try something else.

hope this helps, Lee

thanks guys. ill see what it does like i said right now its about 10 lbs. worst case scenario is ill put a brake on it. any suggestions on a good brake just incase?

Recoil is very personal. I can send 200+ rounds downrange in a day with my unbraked 12(ish) pound 308 and have no issue sending another 200.

Hand me a 9 or 10lb unbraked 300wm, and I'm DONE after 5-10 rounds.

Now, a 338LM with a good brake, and I think I'd easily handle hundreds of rounds a day, though my highest daily round count has only been 30-40.

Most are pretty good. Search, and you'll find dozens of suggestions.

Tell us more about your application and we can help more.

Is your barrel threaded? If so, what thread size/pitch?
If not, are you willing to have it threaded?
Do you mainly shoot prone, or close to the dirt?
Do you mind the brake kicking up a lot of dirt/dust?
Do you have a "look" in mind? For exampe, do you want it to match the taper contour if your barrel? Do you want it to have the fabricated look like a Barrett?

Details please.

Which recoil pad do you have on the Mcmillan? Mine had the spacer system and the recoil pad was horrible as it's a 1/4" piece of hard rubber. Still my rifle was approx 14 lbs and I dumped 120 rounds mostly 210gr VLD's within two days with just a little tenderness.

If you have the harder recoil pad McMillan has the Limbsaver and Decelerator pad so if recoil is a bit more then you want this would be a worth while change.

As to muzzle brakes there are several out there but mine is having the YHM installed as it is a QD and I'm waiting for my suppressor, which the suppressor itself would be another nice recoil reducer if thats an option for you.

Its not threaded but im willing to thread it. I haven't really thought about the look. Mainly prone shooti g and here in the south there isn't alot of dust most of the time so that's not an issue really.

I have a 300winmag that weighs in at 12 pounds that I tried to shoot without a brake and for me it was too much recoil to shoot comfortably when shooting more that 15-20 times per session. So I had a APA 'lil bastard installed and problem solved. I can shoot it all day, no problem.

The factory muzzle brake should be fine, I had a 10FCP in 308 and could watch rounds splatter on plates at 200yds.

There are a lot of good muzzle brakes out there. Often times it comes down to personal preference for aesthetics or funtinality from the prone position. I've had good success with the JP Benny Cooley on my AR-15's and AR-10. I went a slightly different route with my M1A in the form of a SJC Titan, and have been very pleased. On my .300 Win I had my gunsmith make a custom brake patterned after the Remington 40 XS .338 brake.
remington-model-40-xs-338-lapua-mag-c.jpg

It tamed the recoil CONSIDERABLY from a 10-15 round max per range trip down to a hot .243 Win or light .308Win type of recoil. Try it first without a brake, but you might find the rifle more enjoyable to shoot with a brake in the long term. Good luck.

I like the look of I guess its a factoey brake that came onthe 110 fcp-k. Its sa,e size as barrell. It looks slick and I think I would like to stay with something along those lines. Same barrel size and really effective. Links please as im kinda lost.

Several good brakes are available, but I really like the FTE.
They work good and any good smith can thread the barrel and bore the brake for you.
They do work!

Good Luck.....

I like that badger fte. I like some of the jp enterprises and holland as well. Its going on a savage 110 fcp. What are things I need to look for like certain threads or what? I dunno what size barrel is on there but its a heavy bull barrel. So is size an issue with any of these

+1 the FTE brake, once you get the muzzle diameter badger has 2 different diamter FTEs and 2 differen thread pitches. I'm also a big fan of the surefire brakes, reduce recoil and theres a small port going to the 1-2 oclock position to reduce muzzle rise.

The FTE brakes 2 sizes require a minimum size of .800" or .875" I'd say use a mircometer to get an exact measuerment, but if you don't just measure the diameter of your muzzle and go with which ever size falls in to .800"-.874" or .875". The FTE Brake comes with instructions for installing so when you take it to a gunsmith they just need to cut and crown your barrel for it to be installed.

Thanks guys, ill either get that fte,holland, or a jp enterprises. Seems to be alot of love for the fte. Ill cal my gunsmith and see what he says he can do

A full load 200 WM in a 12 lb or less rile without a muzzle brake or can delivers a decent whack to you. Certainly quite a bit more than a 308. Not fun to shoot 100 rounds a day.

I used to have an HS Precision HTR with a 26" barrel (no break).
I devloped a flinch due to anticipating felt recoil. By dry-firing snap caps prior to shooting the flinch went away.

Recoil on a lighter rifle without a break would be no fun at all.

I hunt with my .300wm and when I make sure that itmis sighted in every year I usually shoot 10-15 rounds from 100 to 800 yards and it is plenty of shooting for one day. I don't have a bake or and kind of a recoil pad.

I shot mine today, it was pretty unpleasant. I can handle a fair amount of recoil (I think) but this actually broke the skin at the seam in my shirt at round #19. I was getting a bit flinchy anyway, damn sure need to do something.

Add a muzzle brake, that's what I'm about to have to do to mine. Mercury reducers help but not all that much, I put one in my Marlin 1895 45/70 and it does take some of the bite out ...

I noticed a lot of the recoil really depends on the load your using. Really manageable recoil out of the lighter bullets but once you get into the good pills 200+ with good stout load definetly adds to the shoulder area. As stated about with a gun espically once you get over the 10lb hump most of them seem pretty manageable either way. Just have to make sure you dont get the dreaded flinch lol and sometimes that is where the brake comes into play.

McRees/AMU profile barrel/w APA fat bastard= 18lbs, manageable, but any out of position shooting requires work to rebuild your position...running a copy of the MK248 mod 0....all depends what youre going to do w it

I can speak a little to recoil as I have a 300 WSM on a light rifle with a 23" barrel. I load down 3 grains (66.5 grains of H4831SC instead of 69.5 grains on 180 grain Nosler Partitions) and fire no more that 20 rounds in a session to avoid developing a flinch.
This works on a hunting rifle but on a target rifle I would say longer barrel and a brake. I am in the process of putting together a 308 precision rifle and will put a brake on it to extend my practice sessions. I will shoot around 200 rounds on a weekend in 308 and I don't want the recoil to become an issue. Recoil also causes fatigue. When tired I don't shoot as well.

Last edited: