• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag reloading advice

Jgault

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2020
Keller, Texas
I finally bought a 300 Win mag which I’ve never reloaded for. I have some 195 grain hornady eld’s I would like to load with hybrid100v. I can’t find a load that others have tried, 66 grains seems to be a place to start, anyone have any experience with this combination? It’s not overly urgent as I don’t have any large magnum primers laying around at the moment, but since I’m seeing most other primers available again I’m thinking they might be along shortly.

1691611699361.png

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
The issues I see using that powder that lack of case fill. I would look to use a different powder that will fill the case.

Good luck
I thought the same thing, a friend recommended a few powders he’s used and this was the one he liked the best, I only bought a pound so I will see how it works on a few.

Those were what I used as a starting point, thank you it should be fun.
You used dang near their published maximums as your starting point? I dont think youll be having too much fun like that.
66 grains seems to be a place to start
Start at 61 and work up in half grain increments to max to find where you encounter pressure. Pay attention to the force required to lift the bolt on a low change vs the effort required once you increase charge weights and the cases swell in the chamber. If you notice a difference youre entering into over pressure.

Also, read this

do yourself a favor and find some H1000
That was actually my first choice just based on consensus opinion, but locally there wasn’t any to be had. I’ve heard some people swear by hybrid100, is h1000 that much better?

That was actually my first choice just based on consensus opinion, but locally there wasn’t any to be had. I’ve heard some people swear by hybrid100, is h1000 that much better?
H1000 is pretty darn good stuff... But as you said, can be difficult to come by. You can also look into H4350 and H4831 SC. They're both temp stable but probably won't give the performance that H1000 would. Another option is IMR 4350. It isn't marketed as "temp stable" but it is a single base powder so it may not be quite as... unpredictable. And IMR 4350 gave me pretty good velocity and accuracy in my old 300 Win Mag with 195 ELDM and especially 195 TMK's.

I've never shot Hybrid 100v and don't know how it performs. But starting close to max charge in the summer might get you in some trouble... I assume you're in TX, I just got back from a work trip there and it was damn hot. H1000 is temp stable, but I've had heavy bolt lift with it in 95°+ temperatures... 100v is double base and not listed as temp stable. You might get yourself in a bit of trouble.

Start low and work up.

For the record, I've had more problems in cold weather with temp sensitive double base powders than I did in hot temps... But the danger could be there.

Enjoy your new 300 Win Mag. If you find a good load with 100v let us know. It isn't a preferred powder... But it is in stock around my area too. And reasonably priced. Might be another option for me if other powders dry up.

Good luck.

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Haney
H1000 is pretty darn good stuff... But as you said, can be difficult to come by. You can also look into H4350 and H4831 SC. They're both temp stable but probably won't give the performance that H1000 would. Another option is IMR 4350. It isn't marketed as "temp stable" but it is a single base powder so it may not be quite as... unpredictable. And IMR 4350 gave me pretty good velocity and accuracy in my old 300 Win Mag with 195 ELDM and especially 195 TMK's.

I've never shot Hybrid 100v and don't know how it performs. But starting close to max charge in the summer might get you in some trouble... I assume you're in TX, I just got back from a work trip there and it was damn hot. H1000 is temp stable, but I've had heavy bolt lift with it in 95°+ temperatures... 100v is double base and not listed as temp stable. You might get yourself in a bit of trouble.

Start low and work up.

For the record, I've had more problems in cold weather with temp sensitive double base powders than I did in hot temps... But the danger could be there.

Enjoy your new 300 Win Mag. If you find a good load with 100v let us know. It isn't a preferred powder... But it is in stock around my area too. And reasonably priced. Might be another option for me if other powders dry up.

Good luck.

Mike
It was 109 here today, I would say it’s like hell but I’m not sure it’s that hot in the pit. My friend I’m getting to the age where I don’t see a outdoor range from August through mid September. I have heard h100v can get a little spicy in hot weather, but I heard it performs well in cold weather oddly enough. This is my first new caliber for reloading since the first Obama administration so thank you to both of you who said be careful of the starting charge. I think I’ll hold on to the powder for a rainy day and hold out for some h1000, I’ll have to wait for magnum primers anyway, I’m not going to pay gunbroker prices, and I bought a hundred rounds of ammo with the rifle for the brass so I’m good for a few range trips before I will start reloading these.

Reactions: OkieMike
4831, 7977, 7828, 4955, 100v, 4000MR, 4350. I think you are in about the correct range for 195s. You would get a little better performance out of h1000, Retumbo, 8133 shooting 210+ bullets. By that I mean the load data shows a potential for more velocity before reaching pressure.

I finally bought a 300 Win mag which I’ve never reloaded for. I have some 195 grain hornady eld’s I would like to load with hybrid100v. I can’t find a load that others have tried, 66 grains seems to be a place to start, anyone have any experience with this combination? It’s not overly urgent as I don’t have any large magnum primers laying around at the moment, but since I’m seeing most other primers available again I’m thinking they might be along shortly.
Get some IMR 7828 or 7828 SSC. Start around 64gr, and work your way up.

I would love to recommend 7977, but it’s nearly impossible to find. And I’m afraid production might remain suspended indefinitely for now. 🤦🏼 It’s the best (most consistent burn rate) magnum powder I’ve ever used. I have several loads with single ES and SD numbers. Still got a ton of it, but I won’t be wasting it.

• Love
Reactions: FredHammer
If you have any #34 mil primers you have LR magnum primers, just with a harder cup.
Thank you! Those I can get, I’ve used them for years in ar10’s and 308 bolts, I can’t believe I didn’t remember they use the same magnum mix.

Reactions: mtrmn
4831, 7977, 7828, 4955, 100v, 4000MR, 4350. I think you are in about the correct range for 195s. You would get a little better performance out of h1000, Retumbo, 8133 shooting 210+ bullets. By that I mean the load data shows a potential for more velocity before reaching pressure.
I've got 14 lbs of 4000 MR... It was all I could get back in 2020. There isn't much in the way of load data for it so you have to find a starting load and venture forward.

But it's a good powder. I've had a few hangfires with it in really cold weather but I was using large rifle primers instead of magnum... Switched to magnum primers and it ignited fine but I lost about 80 fps velocity in the cold.

I still like it though. Haven't seen it for a while.

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Haney
I have never had very good luck with 4000mr. Charge weights for the 208 a max and 210 berger were pretty close to 4831sc in my 300wm.

Last edited:
I have never had very good luck with it. Charge weights for the 208 a max and 210 berger were pretty close to 4831sc in my 300wm.
I've shot 225 ELDM's with it... Averaged about 2760. So not my preferred powder for that bullet.

I've had the best performance out of it with 180 to 200 gr class bullets.

Mike

70g of Re22 and a 185 Berger works well for me. Good accuracy with not so bad recoil.

I have had success using large rifle primers vs large magnum. Tried them during supply chain problems.

I was just about to give up and try large rifle primers but finally found a box of cci nato large rifle last week at a decent price(for current prices at least). Now powder is getting more expensive again, I haven’t seen any h1000 in a while, but thankfully good on everything I normally use.

I've shot 225 ELDM's with it... Averaged about 2760. So not my preferred powder for that bullet.

I've had the best performance out of it with 180 to 200 gr class bullets.

Mike
I have tried in a few diffrent cartridges. 22-250, 6 and 6.5 creed, 243, 280, and 300wm.

I've shot 137 Hammers to 215 Berg HYB. 300WM PPU Brass with Fed 215M: 24"

137HH - H100V and XMR4350. XMR4350 proved less temp jumpy and found 76gr with Fed215M to bughole
154 HHT (Tipped version of Hammers) 7977, N165, H1000. H1000 pressuring out before desired velocity and not as good groups. 80gr 7977 printed insane groups. 78.5gr N165 trailing not too far behind. 3300fps aves.

Peterson Long Brass: (Ave 1.5gr less case capacity than PPU)
215 Hybrids - N570, N170, H1000. Again, H1000 not the winner. N570 performs great but kernels so big they clog funnel and powder dispenser. N170 seems to shoot right on par with N570 its a direct powder replacement and kernels are much better sized for powder flow. 2900fps with 78.5 N570/170. This is a brass savings load for ELR steel shooting. One could certainly up the speeds for a hunting load where a few reloads is all they would get before pockets blown.

As mentioned above. 7977 is outfuckingstanding. Most temp stable powder I've tested. Precision...I got a 4 shot caliber sized hole on one group and don't have a 5 shot group where they aren't touching. (154HHT)

My H1000 jug must burn hotter than others. It's consistently pressuring out before the others tried.