• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag rifle choice

thebubba04

Minuteman
Jun 7, 2009
Houston Texas
I am looking for a factory built 300 win mag and am strongly considering the ruger Hawkeye long range target. I was curious for 1200 bucks is there any other factory built rifle worth considering?

I reload and have a ton of 175’s which I plan to shoot out of the rifle.

thanks.

The Bergara HMR comes in 300 winmag now. It would be comparable to the ruger and better than the 700 for the same price

Bergara b14 hmr or ruger hawleye lrt are both great options. Just get a solid brake on them and upgrade the triggers and they are very solid platforms

And get a 300 PRC instead. If you reload you will thank me profusely.

Seconded. I rechambered my 300 WM to PRC and have never looked back. There are a lot of great offerings in factory rifles now.

I started with a Remington 700 Police in 300WM. After a while, I had done what most Remington 700 owners have done. I changed just about everything but the action and barrel. Then I got the urge to have it rebuilt to something like a Mark 13 mod 5. And now 3,5 years down the road, the only thing left is the now blue printed action.
But it is a great rifle, and a great caliber. I like all of it. Dont get tricked into thinking that the good old win mag has issues, since its not true!

I haven't owned a 300wm, but have owned two 308 Rem 5R milspecs. Both shot pretty good.
This ☝
It's in your budget and the Remington 5R's are a great buy. The 700P Police models are also a good starting point as Vargmat said.

The ruger is overpriced for what it is. Your aftermarket options are severely limited.

Go Tikka or Remington 700.
And get a 300 PRC instead. If you reload you will thank me profusely.

tikka isnt the best option for a cartridge with 3.600" col , action limitations at 3.550"
iv'e had a t3 in 300wm with cdi bottom metal , ai mags etc . Whilst it worked for me its not first on the priority list if i was to build a 300wm .
remington / bergara / ruger may be a better factory rifle overall

Hey bubba,
What is you primary intended use for the rifle? If its long range hunting, I'd recommend a seekins havak in 300 wm. They run about $1600 new, but you might be able to find a deal in the PX.
Sam

It would be for mainly distance shooting. I have the niche filled from 0-1000, I am looking for something good for beyond 1000 without getting out of 30caliber.

I think I have the hunting rig covered. I do prefer more of a traditional stock compared to a chassi type stock.

I really plan to shoot 175’s since for some reason I have an excess supply of these. I did just find some 300 prc load data for 175’s that I like. I would have the added flexibility to throw heavier bullets with better coefficient too, so that’s cool. I need to see if my suppressor is good for this caliber.

My Tikka t3x 300wm runs great, but if I wanted to build on a budget, I'd go Rem 700 action.

Pretty sure he's looking to get a factory rifle and not do a custom build.

That’s correct, I would like to get a factory rifle. The Bergara HMR looks like a pretty nice rifle too especially since I found one I could get for 900 bucks new after transfer. Thanks for heads up.

Last edited: