• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag ?'s

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
What twist rate does a 300 need? Most common bullet grain weights? How long of barrel? What reloading powders are common for it? What velocitys are common?

Simple questions, ive just never had any doings with a 300 but am interested in building one as i know they are a really good round...

I am no expert on this subject but Ive been in the same shoes per say. I ended buy a Remington 700 Long Range to get started and will eventually upgrade to a custom. But from what I learned 1-10 twist with 26" barrel. RL22 & H1000 are mostly what I see for powders and heavy bullets like 190gr SMK and 208gr AMAX. This is just me observing and reading tons of threads.

Almost 3 years ago I started out the same way. I purchased a rem 700 sendaro 300 wm. Its one of the best production guns in this caliber available in my opinion. stainless fluted barrel, stainless action, hs precision stock. I bought from buds gun shop. A 1 in 10 twist will handle a wide variety of bullets 150-230gr. I just upgraded the barrel, stock and had accurizing done. I use H1000 for powder,190 and 200gr sierras, 208 amax and bthp, berger 230s and just bought some 215s.

Last edited:
Kool thays what i was wondering... im probably going to do one off a trued rem action... im done with full blown customs for a while...

I have a Remington 700P that I am very pleased with. I believe it or the Sendaro is a great way to start with the .300. Mine is 26" with 1-10" twist, I am shooting 208 Amax's with 71gr of H1000. I would like to replace the HS stock with a chassis of some sort, but I really don't shoot it enough to justify the expense just yet.

It's been a while since I owned one but my last was a 1 in 11 and I shot 200 grain SMK bullets worked great.

Gary

I have a 1:11. Mainly shooting the 190 berger with good success

For powders, imr4831 has been my go to. But would like to try some h1000 out of it as well. Just need to find some

Just had a 20" built with a PROOF barrel and we went 1-10". Seems to really like 190's and there were also some 208's that it digested well.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

I have a pair of 300WinMags.

One is a KMW (Terry Cross) build with an Obermeyer 1-10 twist.

The other was built on a Surgeon 1086 action (Jon Beanland) with an Obermeyer 1-10 twist.

I shoot 190gr to 230gr bullets, usually load with H-1000 or RL22, and I still have some H-870 for special occaisions.

Barrel lengths are 24" and 25", and both are threaded.