• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag starting point...

aaronraby1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
southern california
www.facebook.com
im shooting a 26" barrel. 1:10.

180gr nosler ballistic tips.

any suggestions for starting point loads? i have been using IMR for most my loads recently. id like something between 2600-3000fps seeing as im going to be using this for hunting. thanks!

also, i looked on noslers website but their load data isnt very specific for which bullet they are using. thanks again!

Re: 300 win mag starting point...

1. For starting loads, you can use pretty much any data for 180 gr. jacketed bullets from any of the manuals.

2. I would suggest you buy a Nosler reloading manual; it's really quite good.

yeahhh... i knew that. was hoping someone might have a somewhat decent load with this configuration they wouldnt mind sharing to start with...there are billions of options... thats why i asked for a starting point... thanks though.

Reloader 22 will get you 3000fps + with Nosler 180 ballastic tips.

Out of curiousity what made you choose a 180 grain bullet? There is a whole thread devoted to loads for the 300WM with lots of loads and data including 180 grain bullets, you just have to take a little time to read through it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348736#Post348736

This link has some useful information and specifically mentions 180 grain bullets. You can go to the various powder makers sites and look up load data as well.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.300winchester-magnum.htm

I used IMR 4350 for a long time and had very good results. I have used RL19 for light bullets, and RL22 for heavier ones. I have been told that IMR7828 is a good powder for the 300WM by the good folks at Hodgden. I will be switching to H1000 which seems to be the powder of choice on this at the moment. I have been using a 200 SMK because Sierra makes a 200 GMK that performs very similarly, on top of RL22.

I liked the load but I am switching to 208 Amax, because they are magical and when combined properly with H1000 make a combination that does everything....or so I have been told. It has a great BC, is accurate and expands in a controlled fashion. Its rumored to exist, although its so popular its existance has been brought into question. I happen to have 600 of them waiting for me at home.

RL22 is a very accurate powder. I have about 8 lbs. of it collecting dust in my shop however, as H1000 is *MUCH* cleaner and is also more temp. stable. RL22 is also alleged to be a lot harder on throats.

John

" i looked on noslers website but their load data isnt very specific for which bullet they are using."

It really doesn't matter, it's all generic by bullet weight and powder type; that's why aren't specific.

One starting load is as good or bad as another until you try it. If you get 10 or 50 suggestions no two will be the same, unless someone's jiving you.

thanks guys! well i have always shot 180s. i have loads with 165s and 168s as well but im going back to 180 and will do 190, 200, 210 later down the road. i have been looking at rl-22 and h1000 powders. looks like ill have to give it a go. i appreciate the input guys.

to driftwood: i did do a search and i was unable to get a result. maybe i didnt put in the correct keywords. ha. but i appreciate the information you provided.

i hear the 208 amaxs are pretty awesome! i have yet to try them.

thanks again guys for the input!

All the 300 win's I know of will shoot a quality 180 gr proojectile well with 75-75.5 gr RE-22. With that being said I shoot paper with 208 Amax's and I shoot elk and big critters with 210 Bergers out of mine using H-1000. Mostly for the temp sensitivity. I spent the summer and fall last year shooting in temps from 50-80 and in Wyo ming when I shot me bull it was hovering near 0 degrees.