• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .300 Win Mag.. tell me your thoughts

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Would like to have a rifle for elk with more punch than my Win Mod 70 in .30-06. Would like a rifle that I could interchange my ACC cyclone (if they say that it will not damage it) or a muzzle brake.

That being said would it be netter to buy a production gun and have barrel threaded or buy a custom made that way. I have about $1000 to put into the rifle.

Suggestions?

Re: .300 Win Mag.. tell me your thoughts

I WOULD HAVE TO ASK...how accurate is your 30-06....???... if it`s a 1" MOA.... you`re good to OVER 500 yds...... on elk...
how do you plan to hunt close... or far....????.... I`ve only shot 2... 1 at 35 yds. and 1 at 225 yds...
I would suggest shoot the 06 alot....with 175`s and 190`s...
it`ll last 3500 rnds.....get into shape... wear an overnite pack.... go 4-6 hrs. back in... where a horse and atv can`t go....start hunting....
bill larson

If you have $1000 to spend, maybe you could save a little more and get a 10FP HS precision Savage .300win mag- it has a brake, is threaded 5/8x24, takes AICS mags etc.

Other thoughts would be just shoot the 3006... it's pretty damn close ballistically.

Unless the 3006 isn't an accurate rifle in which case problem solved- sell it and add the $1000 and buy a .300win mag.

The 06 was a gift from my dad back in 81. So selling it isnt an option. It never has been a MOA gun but I dont hand load either.

I have a Savage 10 FPSR in .308 and love it. That is what I have my can on. Would the Cyclone take the muzzle blast of the .300 Win Mag?

Any recommendations on hunting ammo to try in it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love it! </div></div>

?

Rem 5r in .300 win mag is what I would look into.

For us that live in elk country, the 7mm Remington Mag and 300 Winchester Mag are the most used cartridges. For long range shooting and good knock down power, the magnaums leave the 06 in the dust for long range shooting. If you are only going to be hunting in the timber and your shots are 300 yards and under stick with your 06. Load development is important for both magnums you are talking 3000fps for a 160gr bullet, so you need a bullet that opens up at close range and long range or you will have straight through an through holes with no shock value at close range. The 06 is a great elk cartridge with a 165gr bullet and you can use it on mule deer also. The Nosler Accu Bond is a great bullet for those two magnums or for the 06.

Gosh, don't people kill elk with arrows?
smile.gif

I'd think the 30-06 would do it just fine at hunting ranges.
But I have never hunted elk so what do I know?

I have built just about every caliber there is, regular and wildcat, and what do I hunt with ? A .300 Win mag!!!!

Alot of different ammo choices if you don't reload, and if you do reload, I think it's about one of the easiest calibers to make shoot.

Paul
Rock Creek Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okangshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 06 was a gift from my dad back in 81. So selling it isnt an option. It never has been a MOA gun but I dont hand load either.

I have a Savage 10 FPSR in .308 and love it. That is what I have my can on. Would the Cyclone take the muzzle blast of the .300 Win Mag?

Any recommendations on hunting ammo to try in it? </div></div>

That's a question for AAC. Selling the Savage .308 to get the Savage .300win mag then might be an option.

Or threading/crowning the 3006, bedding it, and handloading for it.

Handloads typically will shoot better than factory ammunition. You can control the consistency- tailor the OAL, provide higher quality components etc.

I don't see why less than 1MOA shouldn't be possible in your 3006 for under $1000. (you could probably fully blueprint the action, glass bed, thread/crown and do a trigger job, for less than $1000).

You'd probably be surprised how well a rifle will respond to a little accuracy work.

I had a M70 .300 win mag once- it shot ~1.3MOA and I paid a gunsmith to bed it, lap the barrel, thread, crown, install a muzzle brake, cryo, and do a trigger job. Then I loaded some ammo for the gun. The gun then shot 1/3MOA or under consistently.

That all cost maybe $1000 including the reloading press and 150 rounds of loaded ammo.

Or you could just use the .308. That is more than enough rifle for shots out to 600yds, especially with a deep penetrating bullet like a accu-bond or Barnes triple shock around 180gr. The most important thing in hunting, is bullet placement...If you hit the boiler room, they die. Plain and simple.

The Cyclone is NOT rated for .300 Win Mag. I think I'm going to look at some accuracy work and different loads in 165 to 180 grain. If it wont shoot, then I'll re-approach the issue. Thank you guys so much for the help. I think the 06 will do the trick for the ranges I am likely to encounter.

I own two 300 WinMags and have killed a lot of game with both. Last year I built my first custom rifle in 300 winmag and have been so happy with it its really hard for me to leave it behind for any reason when I go out into the field. For what my opinion is worth I do agree wit billyburl that shot placement is key with any caliber large or small but the one thing that you do get with magnum cartriges is more room for error. The more trauma that is caused by a projectile hitting with more energy gives you that little bit more room for error. That might be all you need especially at extended ranges. If any one tells you that they have shot every animal they have ever killed perfectly I would have to blow the whistle. This is definetly a sport of preference.. I dont think you would be disapointed with the WinMag one bit...
If you dont mind some packing weight look into a Remington Sendero. It would be close to your price range and would be fully capable of what you need it for out of the box. IMO Good Luck with your decision making .....

I have both. My 300WM is a custom that is incredible and shoots with the best of them.
My .02c is to put the money into the 30.06 and for a lot less you can have a very accurate rifle.There is not a whole lot of advantage in building a new gun when this will be good at 1,000 yards and in. Accuracy is the key when it comes to longer distances. Hathcock used it as a sniper cartridge back in the day and did pretty well with it.........

I picked a Browning x-bolt in .300 win mag for a trip to Alaska this past fall. I couldn't been happier with my choice. Used it to take a nice moose about 120 miles north of Kotzebue. My buddy took a nice griz with his .300 win mag on the same trip.

I own a .300 winmag. It's my "go-to" rifle. It will do anything I need it to do. It will take a yote if needed and will drop a moose with ease. It has no problem reaching out and tagging a critter at extended ranges. the .300 winmag is a great round. Alot of choices on ammo and if you reload, the possibilties are endless. I like knowing that whatever I decide to shoot is going down.

I have owned quite a few M70's and only 1 could not hold MOPA. You should try some different ammo in it. The new Federal and Barnes ammo that uses Barnes TSX & TTSX bullets shoot well in every rifle I have tried and the penetration of thise bullets (especially at longer ranges) is second to none. I would go that route before getting a 300 WM.

I elk hunt with a 30-06 with 180 accubonds, just shot a big bull 2 weeks ago, dropped it in it`s tracks, shot was 157 yds. But I don`t feel the 30-06 is a 500yd elk gun, that being said, the 308 will never be a 500yd elk gun. Remember, just because the bullet will get there doesn`t mean it will have enough energy to make the bullet perform like it should. If you are going to shoot under 300yds, the 06 is fine, more than that, go 300 win mag, 180gr bullet or bigger.

.300 WM will get the job done just fine...as would the 30/06, but there is something to be said for confidence in your cartridge. We tend to shoot better if we are confident we are carrying "enough gun" (whatever that means...). Get the practice you need to be confident in Yourself now and don't sweat the minor stuff like headstamp. And just so you know, I heard that from a half-blind old dude at a truck stop...must be true.

-The Kid.