• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 win Mag throating?

BravoSierra

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Mansfield, TX
So I measured the chamber on my sweet custom set up, but a bit baffled at what I should do. I didn't know enough at the time to tell the smith that yeah, neck this so I can load out to 3.6". Now I know and I'm wondering. On 210 SMK's I measure base to ogive of 2.727" to lands and 3.436" oal. The 208 AMAX 3.455".

Primary purpose is gongs in excess of 1400 yards.

Should I leave it be and just load according to the Hodgdens suggested OAL which this fits in, or have it throated longer?

What's the actual issue? Are you not able to seat the bullets as far out as you would like? Will the powder you want to use not fit in the case with the bullet you want to use? I think we need a little more information.

I'd say if you can get the powder in cartridge for the velocity you want, it fits in your magazine and gets you the jump to the lands that gets the best accuracy, then you are fine.
If you can't get those things, maybe look for another powder, bullet or send it back out to have it reamed to your specific specs.

All I'm seeing are loads longer than what I can do considering my chamber dimensions, until I read the Hodgdens load site that Is. H1000 or retumbo is what Ihave on hand. Will load for a ladder test and see if I'm compressing, and just shoot the thing and let it tell me what it likes. It just seems odd that so much bullet protrudes into the case..

Sounds just like my .300WM I bought last year. I found mine has the PTG match chamber=short throat. I wouldn't worry about it. I shoot the 208 Amax with H1000@3025 fps with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah, PTG match reamer as well. I have 208's so I'm gonna load em up. Pray tell 3k fps with H1000? Holy smokes...I don't know what voodoo that is, but Im motivated now!