• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 300 win mag through a 308 can?

microsuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2007
Richardson, TX
I was wondering if anyone had tried this. I kind of doubt it would really explode, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a 308 suppressor on a 300 win mag.

Re: 300 win mag through a 308 can?

You should check with the specific suppressor manufacturer to make sure it will handle the pressure. They will tell you if its covered under warranty.

Chuck

toddacguy sent one downrange due to a bad weld that did not take.....and i have seen examples of a .223 can blow up......life is to important to risk doing things to gear that it is not meant to take the pressures stamped on the data panel.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should check with the specific suppressor manufacturer to make sure it will handle the pressure. They will tell you if its covered under warranty. Chuck </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">toddacguy sent one downrange due to a bad weld that did not take.....and i have seen examples of a .223 can blow up......life is to important to risk doing things to gear that it is not meant to take the pressures stamped on the data panel..... </div></div>
+1000!! That was messed up!

SWR Omega 30cal is rated to handle up to 300wm, but the Omega 300 performs much better on a 300wm.

Please check Mfg's rating before trying.

I don't think I'll risk my 1200 dollar can on something this stupid, if you have a need\want for a mag can, buy one.

What ever you do don't contact the manufacturer and ask them.

Surefire states that you can fire a 300 Win Mag thru their 7.62SS. Personally I wouldn't try it w/out talking to the manufacturer!

Im sure it would work, but I would buy the correct sup. for the right application. Why risk it.

I was told by Gemtech that the HVT and Sandstorm are .300winmag approved.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWC also rates Thundertrap to 300 Win </div></div>
Yep, mine works just fine with .308, 300WM and 300RUM. I thought the RUM might be pressing it, but was told it would be ok (by the dealer I bought it from who also said he would warranty it to be) so I figured I had nothing to lose. Worked like a champ! But as others have said - ask the manufacturer/dealer first!!

the KAC MK 11 Mod 0 suppressor is what is used on the Mk13 Mod 5.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the KAC MK 11 Mod 0 suppressor is what is used on the Mk13 Mod 5.........

</div></div>

Yeah and it never worked worth a dog from the git go. The latest fix was to run some spot welds where they were coming apart, leave them mounted to the rifle so you don't have first round "Where did it go" and then pour water on them to cool them down.

Yeah, that didn't work either.

Crane needs to buy a 300WM Ti can and adapt it to the MK-11 NOT the other way around.

JMHO

Cheers,

Doc

Doc,

The Spot weld issue is not just a Mk13 issue, its a KAC production issue. Thats why the extra welds were added to all the cans. The first time the issue was discovered was on a Mk11 Mod 0 that the user had used the weapon as a battle rifle, not a SSR.

As to the Where did it go round, I cant beleive your saying that, everyone should have dope on their gun, , suppressed, unsupressed and everything in between, if you shoot enough, and record your info, you should have no problem making that unsupressed "cold bore" shot.

As to procuring a new Can, unless someone asks for it, thru their COC, well its not going to happen. Im sure there are plenty of folks who would love to spend their days doing R&D, but without a funded request, nothing is going to happen.....

group getting ready to leave here tomorrow, with KAC Cans, we were looking at one on the 300WM, huge crack and chip inside the baffles at the front... the crack runs down to shell. LOL

There are only a few cans that are marked as a 308 can but are truly rated for 300WM use. Same bullet but a lot more powder then the 308, think of the pressure increase? I wouldnt risk it.... I have a few 308 cans but Im waiting on my 300wm cans to clear NFA before I shoot thru them.

Thats just my opinion.

Strictly speaking, the Thundertrap is marked "30 caliber" so it might not be considered just a .308 can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surefire states that you can fire a 300 Win Mag thru their 7.62SS. Personally I wouldn't try it w/out talking to the manufacturer! </div></div>

+1

I've asked Surefire this same questions and got the same response.

Psy,

Copy all. The KAC cans are old and they have been through hell but the principal was flawed from go. RK sold a bill of goods and somebody jumped up and said it has the same bore so it will work. Not so much. I won't even go into the mounting system.

The "Where did it go" is a product of reality. The first round is non trackable when first attached to the MK-13. It's never in the same place twice. Hence the last class left the cans attached to ensure a accurate CBS. Fortunately it was cool enough that they didn't have to hose them down.

As to R&D you know as well as I do that the "Varsity Club" can do much with a wish. Hence the first word in thier title.

No need for a pissing contest but it is a topic worthy of further conversation. Shoot me a line some time, I'm looking for an excuse to go to Indy
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc,

As to the Where did it go round, I cant beleive your saying that, everyone should have dope on their gun, , suppressed, unsupressed and everything in between, if you shoot enough, and record your info, you should have no problem making that unsupressed "cold bore" shot.

</div></div>

Luke,

What Doc said regarding the wayward shot is correct. I witnessed the phenomenon. The shot was totally unpredictable.

They can get suppressed/unsuppressed dope on the Mk12 no problem, not as good with the Mk11, but no-go on the Mk13, thus the last class shooting the entire course suppressed.

Now, I'm not sure if it is totally from the can, or a combination of the can, the AICS stock, the mounting system or what. And not all of the rifles would exhibit it, but many did.

Scott

I use my Yankee Hill .308 can on my 300 win mag and it works fine (about 250 rounds). Called the manufacture prior to doing so and they said it would be okay.

SWR/Omega30 on a R700/300WM for several years now no problem.

However there are so many 300WM can out there now, most of which perform better than a 762 can, that I would recommend just getting the 300WM can.

My SAS titanium waoks just fine. Works on a 300 RUM as well! Also works on my 243, 223, 270wsm, 7wsm and 308!

Unless you're dealing with a design issue from the get'go there should be no significant issues with using a 300 WinMag on a well designed 7.62 suppressor.
Ideally you want the 300 WinMag can to have more volume but I think the blast baffle on the 7.62 and 300 cans are the same.

I don't think you'll have an issue.

Regards,

IUD

I have an older Cyclone and when I contacted AAC, they said it'd be fine for a 300RUM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc,

</div></div>

Luke,

What Doc said regarding the wayward shot is correct. I witnessed the phenomenon. The shot was totally unpredictable.

They can get suppressed/unsuppressed dope on the Mk12 no problem, not as good with the Mk11, but no-go on the Mk13, thus the last class shooting the entire course suppressed.

Now, I'm not sure if it is totally from the can, or a combination of the can, the AICS stock, the mounting system or what. And not all of the rifles would exhibit it, but many did.

Scott </div></div>

With correctly manufactured, thread mounting or fast attaching suppressors, the zero should not shift, when taking off the suppressor and putting it back on. Of course correct threading / attachment of a muzzle brake/flash hider is given.

Without detailed knowledge of this particular incident, my 0.2 cents would point to the particular latch mounting method and mounting surfaces.

LRS & Doc,

As yall know, I have to keep some things close hold, but everything I have seen that transitional flyer is predictable and repetable.

As to the mounting, it was what a couple of non-smith shooters could come up with to fill a un-funded, but validated needs statement. But in the end, I do think there are better designs, but the better designes and even cans have failed to provide better accuracy or increased dB reduction.

The only way to get a different result is to change the test "Questions"

I have an SWR Omega 30. I talked with Joe the owner/maker of the can and he said it would be fine. I have about 300+rds fired threw it with my 300 with no problems. The felt recoil is down below a 308 with the can on.

Mike Merve, advanced armaments sales rep told me directly that there 7.62sd would handle the 300wm as long as the barrel was at least 24" I have several hundred rounds through my aac 7.62sd quick detach pushing a 208grn amax with 70grns of 4831 with absolutely no issues, aac even told me they would still
Warranty the can and that the military was even shooting 300wm through there 7.62 cans

I would be extremely careful over the long haul. Unless the can is made for the ultra high pressures it will eventually fail and could fail tragically. I personally own an 762-SD by AAC and it is built like a tank but I believe that you would be risking life and limb over the long haul.