• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win mag TKIV 85 clone

MTFalconer

Peckerhead on a mountain.
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2014
Little Belts, Montana
Ok, have been skulking around behind the scenes trying to cobble together the last pieces of this project so that I can finish it once and for all. I have most of the hard stuff done so I figured it was time to post a thread about it.

You all remember the article in that magazine a few years back regarding the TKIV 85 and that they had been converted to 300 Winchester magnum. Well being an amateur machinist and half ass gunsmith, these are the challenges that I like to take on. I had recently purchased a SAKO TRGS in 300 WM and pulled the barrel. I bought this rifle for the action and put the barrel on the shelf. After reading the article I started measuring and it turns out that the TRGS barrel could be used with not a terrible amount of trouble.

First things first. I spun off the threads on the barrel to get the appropriate OD for the new threads and single pointed them in. Then installed the barrel into the action. Measured and cut the relief for the extractor into the barrel. This was the point that I realized I wanted a little more stability in the rifle. So I removed it, set the shoulder back and made a custom recoil lug, just like a Remington 700. Torqued everything down and voila! Checked head spacing again and did need to touch it up slightly with a chamber reamer. No big deal.

Now comes the fun part. I know that it is supposed to work and that others had done it but dang it, I didn't trust it. We have a vice on one of the benches at the range for just such occasions. So off we went. Locked the gun down in the vice with a nice string to pull the trigger. Loaded up some federal 180g soft points as that is what I had on hand. We fired the rifle 5 times at a 50 yard target the size of a pizza. Checking each time for signs of pressure, nothing. After 5 shots we went down range just for funzies to see what it had done and found a nice little clover leaf of 5 shots. Moved the paper over and shot 5 more from the vice. Clover leaf again. I know this isn't benchrest accuracy but hey, this was supposed to be fun.

I am now in the stage of looking for a stock for the rifle. Priority being an original TKIV 85 stock or something similar. While pounding the internet pavement looking for a stock, all the parts for the scope mounting have been ordered. I do not know what I am going to use for optics as of yet but hope to find something that at least appears correct. I have also ordered a biathalon harness and muzzle cover with front sight for skiing. My cabin in the mountains is regularly snowed in with drifts of 6-8 ft being common. I am waiting to get back home before continuing on the project and hoping that I can start coating my barreled action and all the other parts that I have in Moly Resin. I chose the OD green for metal parts. I think it would match nicely with the wood on the stock. Pictures to follow once I am back home and I'll give some play by play on it. Until then..

Cool bud! So is it a single shot? What did you do to the magazine to get the 300wm to fit? I sent you a message about the stocks I have.

At this point I have not approached the magazine issue. I am waiting on a stock to play with that issue. My thoughts are to try and cut a stock mag apart and widen it. If that fails I will just fill it and make a single shot. I have some other ideas as well.

As far as scope mounting I had a few ideas. I like the idea of using the marlin mount you spoke of but I was thinking mounting a piece of machined Picatinny rail to the receiver, as long as is possible. Then using a cantilever AR scope mount turned backwards to get the scope a little closer and still (maybe) provide enough clearance for the bolt. No idea if it will actually work but I did try to mock it up with the action in a vice and thought it looked promising. I do want a mount that looks correct but it is secondary to having a solid mount. I think the picatinny rail screwed to the receiver with a little JB weld would be super strong.

One more piece of the puzzle completed today. Made a deal to get a stock for the project and got some good intel as well. So we continue rocking on down the road. So looks like all I need now is to locate a bipod mount and bipod, get in the shop on my scope mount and put the damn thing together. Funny how a back burnered project can come together quickly once you actually put forth an effort to find the parts, huh...

I would like to learn something about checkering wood. The TKIV stocks have a checkered or textured grip area in the palm swell as well as the forearm. The stock I have coming does not. I am wondering if the same effect can be had with wood burning as most of the ones I have seen seem to be discolored black in area that is textured. Questions for another day I guess.

That texture you mention is the stippling I told you about. I do mine with about an 1/8" ball engraving bit for a Dremel. Simply plunge the spinning bit into the wood roughly half the diameter of the ball. Do this cqrefully along your border then fill in the rest.

Got a chance to work on my trigger today. Using the stock trigger is time consuming but I am glad I did it. Lots if good information out there on working it. I chose to make mine a two stage with about a 4 pound break. Started by polishing all components to a mirror finish and following what others have done. Only place I went off the farm a little was to polish the inside of the trigger where it actually activated the sear. Man what a difference that made. Added a return spring and an overrated set screw. I will be adding another set screw to adjust sear tension after I figure it out. New firing pin spring, trigger shoe, lightweight firing pin and proper adjustment do a world of good for timing and lockup. Waiting on my new stock to show up before modifying my bolt. It will be as close as I can make it to a tkiv bolt. Then a full polish on the bolt and a nice coat of molyresin to finish it off.

Didnt know if you`d seen it or not, but in the "M28/76" thread in this(Vintage Sniper Rifles) section, on the second page of the thread, there is a guy from Finland who apparently has a real deal TKIV stock he would be willing to part with though I cant remember his username for the life of me.

ETA: sacred sheep is his name, first response on the second page:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-sniper-rifles/232331-finnish-m28-76-a-2.html

I contacted him via email. I was able to find a nice stock from another member. Soon as it gets here I will mock the rifle up and get some pics for ya'll.

OK guys time for pics. Got the stock in this week and started right in on it. First off the pics I promised of the trigger group. Then the pillar bedding of the stock. Stippling and staining next and then one teaser of it mocked up. Lots of work but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Now that everything fits and looks the part, the next step is to find a scope that will work for my needs. I will also be building a barrel shroud to resemble the TKIV 85. I have an old mosin stock that is cracked and worthless. Turns out the wood is the same. I will just need to sand and refinish it after shaping. I will also be adding a muzzle brake to handle the 300wm.

I have given some thought to this and I will also add some weight to the stock. It is relatively light and I think it would benefit from a couple extra pounds. I will remove the butt stock plate and bore a hole into the stock at that point. Then mix lead powder and devcon together to make a slurry, a heavy one. Add some to the forend of the stock and balance it while I am at it. Barreled action is getting torn apart and cleaned up now. Then a coat of either black or OD green moly resin after the brake is installed. All that I should have left is the bolt modifications. I got in my parts from McMaster Carr. I decided on a 3/8-24 bolt and 1" phenolic knob to create the look I wanted. I also ordered the same knob in 1.250 and it is much larger than I want. Oh well, extra stuff to go into the tool box for later.

The stippling was accomplished with an electric engraver that I made a tool for from a finish nail. It gets the job done faster. Tape everything off at least twice, decide on the pattern you want and get after it. I used a steel ruler to get the straight edges perfectly straight on the stippling. It took me about four hours to do this project. Small circles....lots of small circles.

The original stippling was done with three sizes of punch. I will dig and see what kind of info I can find on it. I've been researching and lead in about he Tkiv 85 for about 7 years now and have acquired a lot of information.

Finally decided on a scope for the rifle. It is an old Bushnell made in Japan. Scope chief 6x. Fine cross hairs and long tube with forward mounted turrets. Looks great on the rifle,just need to get some low steel ring for it. Then everything can be taken apart and sprayed with moly resin. I am proud of how it had turned out so far.

That looks great!! I can definitely see the hard work that you put into it!!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it all together!!

Its getting closer to finished. Need to go get some low scope rings, get the top cover finished and muzzle brake on. Then its fun time. Steel plate match the end of the month I want to shoot with it. She'll turn a few heads for sure.