• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag VS 30-06

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
I'm looking for some opinions on these 2 rounds

im starting a new build soon and i want it to be a 300 win mag or a 30-06 not having a lot of expirence with ether i was wondering what you guys think about them.

i am building this as a long range target rifle 1000+ yards and i will be starting with a McMillan stock and go from there.

rite now i have a

.308 tikka t3 tactical with some upgraids
.243 ithica
7mm rem700

all great guns but i want something a little more geared for long range.

thanks in advance for the help...

Re: 300 win mag VS 30-06

i know its not on the list but if it is a dedicated 1000yard plus rifle I would look into the 338 lapua or 338 rum or edge and some berger 300 bullets. if it must be one of the 2 go with the win mag with some 210 berges or 208 amax.

I personally am partial to the 30-06. I drive a 210 Bergers and 208 AMAX's at 2800 fps out of a 10 twisted 26" tube via RE-22. The case life is good and there are no annoying belts to have to deal with or an extra die to squeeze it back down. 10gr less powder and great performance as well as availability of ammo just about any where.

The 300 will take you to a mile supersonic, the 30-06 a bit short of that. Then again if your are playing at 1 mile regularly you need to step to the 338LM.

Cheers,

Doc

i would absolutely love the lapua but if I'm going to spend that much on ammo I'm going with the .50 cal...let me re phrase that I'm currently working an a .50 cal the .300 and 30-06 are more affordable and more available

what reasons would you choose one over the other?

thank you

epdesign,

Before you go all 30 caliber on us, look in your gun safe. You list a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag. Now go to JBM and plug in a 7mm 180 gr Berger VLD @ 2900 FPS. That bullet is still supersonic past 1500 yds.

So don't buy a new 30, just improve what you already have, and go shoot.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">epdesign,

Before you go all 30 caliber on us, look in your gun safe. You list a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag. Now go to JBM and plug in a 7mm 180 gr Berger VLD @ 2900 FPS. That bullet is still supersonic past 1500 yds.

Bob </div></div>

His 7mm could be his lightweight hunting rifle too. I know a guy who shoots a custom 243 at 1000 yards regularly and loves it, there are lots of options out there.

Between 300 win and 30-06 I think I would pick 300 win if it's only going to be a bench gun at long range. The extra oomph helps.

Between the 300 wm and the 30-06, I would pick the 300 wm. However, if you already have a 7 mm RM, then you may question why the 300WM. I would go with something else. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">epdesign,

Bob </div></div>

Good advice.....try it, you might be surprised!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">epdesign,

Bob </div></div>

Good advice.....try it, you might be surprised!! </div></div>

And if that doesn't quite wet your whistle, rechamber to 7STW. My shooting partner had one of these and we compared trace between my 300WM w/ 208 amax and his 7STW shooting 160 AB's at 3200 fps.
eek.gif

That thing flung bullets on a ROPE. A couple mils flatter to 1000 IIRC. Barrel lasted about 1200 rds too. He rebarreled to 300WM.

Sometimes more is NOT better.

I'd just shoot the 7mm MAG.

John

the 700 has a heavy barrel but not many extras after that just a little trigger work

im not much of a hunter just to busy i guess

i like my .243 every thing on it is stock how ever i got that gun in a trade i traded my .270 for it was a stock ruger i wish i had the .270

here is my tikka
Picture005.jpg

I'm giving you all this info to just give you an idea of what i am used to. i have never had a completely custom long range bolt gun. i was never in the military or law enforcement. so i have little training and most of what i know is self thought. i tried to get into the marines and could not due to a lower back problem i was borne with nothing crippling. but 2 15degree bends in my lower spine i guess it made me a liability. sorry for the short history just letting you know where im coming from. i have been shooting from age 5. and the longest range i have available to me is 1000 yards.

the suggestion about the 7mm is a good one and i will consider it

The 7mm is a really efficient cartridge due to BC of available bullets. But the 300WM is certainly no slouch, and the 208/210's will go SS out to 1700-1800 yds.

I have a Tikka T3 300WM in a Manners T4 stock and so far I'm hitting steel at 1300 and working my way out to a mile. I'm not a professional or a veteran either, I just like to shoot at stuff a long way away.
grin.gif
These guys are really helpful on this site.

If you don't have an itch to build a custom action, why not get a Tikka Varmint in 300WM and put it in the McMillan? You could train with your .308 and when you want to stretch the legs, use to WM.

Just another thought, if you're really itchin' to spend money.

John

i would go with the 300 win mag,been using one for a long time. its alittle stout for deer,but you need all the help you can get with elk. im no pro by anymeans but elk can pack lead. keep shottin till they drop, i been amazed how far they can go dead on there feet. then on the otherhand i shot a moose in the selway one year one shot and down he went. he came out of the trees maybe 70 yards tops. couldnt miss, like shooting at the side of a greyhound bus! 200grn sierra boat tails, win lr primers, 72.1grns reloader22 powder. take your time weigh your powder,do all you suuposed too and get the skillet hot!!!

.300 winmag

but i also think the advice on investing into what you already have is good advice.

Im a firm believer of owning less but mastering what it is that you own.

If the 7Rm is a well built rifle, have a good scope and load for it and then you will have a great 1000 yd rifle.

I have a club mate that uses his 7mm rem mag Sendero back to 1000 yards with a 14 power leupold it is his hunting rifle. he is using retumbo and 175gr MatchKings. Check the balistics in a 26" rem factory barrel he is over 3000fps.

You have the basis of an awsome long range rifle just there. get a 20moa base then the correct glass i dont know what you like but around 20 to 25 power at max magnification and shoot it. if you are happy with the stock shape a good recoil pad and a shoot old school with a wod stock i would have it pillar bedded though.

If you like a more moddern stock a Manners is hard to beat and you can get a bottom metal for AI 300 win mag fitted to either stock if you are after a higher capacity detachable mag.

If you crunch the numbers on 3000fps with a 175gr MatchKing then the 300 win mag with 210's at 2900 the energy at 1000 yards should be close anf the drift and drop is less with the 7mm.

The US secret service used to use 7mm rem mags and i believe the 7mm is a better round. if you want to use a supressor the 30 cal supressors work well for them also the recoil is less with the 7mm than the 300.

The only downside is the barrel life is less with a 7mm rem mag over a 300 win mag. the factory ammo debate is not realy there as you cant buy the 210's loaded for the 300. i would be reloading either way.

The 30-06 is becoming an under appreciated round these days. The internet/mall ninja lore has taken over that the 308 is better and the 300 WM is the best.

My 26" barreled 06 gets the 208 Amax's to 2875 using RL22, I'd like to try some RL17 and see what kind of improvement I get. It's cheaper in brass, powder consumption and equipment cost than a 300 WM, it does a very similar job on the range to 1500+ yd.

I recently built a 7mm/270 to shoot 162 Amax and 180 Bergers. The 30-06 with a 208 is flatter than a 338 LM with 250 SMK's in it. The heavy 7mm's eclipse any 30 cal bullet out there and beat some of the 338's as well.

My 7mm/270 matches the trajectory of a 300 SMK in a 338 LM to 1700yd and it gives up very little in windage. For paper/steel targets, the significant reduction in cost adn recoil means I get to shoot a lot more of it.

The advice to get the 7mm RM is going to beat out either the 06 or 300 WM, that round can push the heavy 7's a very long way.

If you're going to build a rifle anyway, then look at the 7 WSM, 7 BAT (7mm/300 WSM) or a 7 SAUM. These short mags have a slight increase in capacity over the 280 Remington (7mm-06 basically) and they are exceptional long range rounds.

If you're dead set on a 30 cal, then I'd take the 30-06 since you can push it hard and give up very little to the 300 WM, avoid the belts, have cheaper brass, less powder, and still do the same job.

The Tikka Tactical is an excellent long range rifle just as it is.

300 WM is a great round, but I don't see the need for casual paper punching to 1000 yds. The 308 is fine for that use, and with better bullets, the 308 will go farther.

That money can be put towards good optics and reloading equipment.

If reloading is not an option, then the 308 has even more logical appeal.

TC

i am working on the reloading thing i shoot way to much not to. in the last 2 weeks i have gone through about 1000 rounds of .223 and several hundred rounds of various other ammo .45 .40 .308

the thing is i have a family of 5 and we all shoot together my wife and 3 kids. the oldest is 12 and im building an ar for here now so reloading is a must at this point.

that is also why i am looking int building another long range rifle the tikka is built around my self and you are rite it is a great gun but because i have so many shooters in the family i am now because of your advice here thinking another 7mm is the way to go. because i am already using that round it would be easier for me as far as not adding another round to the mix. i would just have to separate the reloaded ammo because they may soot different out of each gun. that's easy enough though.

as my kids get older i hope to pass a a few guns to them as they move out on there own. i would like them each to have an AR, long range bolt gun, and there own hand gun. we have got to keep it alive. pass it on to the kids

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 30-06 is becoming an under appreciated round these days. The internet/mall ninja lore has taken over that the 308 is better and the 300 WM is the best.

My 26" barreled 06 gets the 208 Amax's to 2875 using RL22, I'd like to try some RL17 and see what kind of improvement I get. It's cheaper in brass, powder consumption and equipment cost than a 300 WM, it does a very similar job on the range to 1500+ yd.

I recently built a 7mm/270 to shoot 162 Amax and 180 Bergers. The 30-06 with a 208 is flatter than a 338 LM with 250 SMK's in it. The heavy 7mm's eclipse any 30 cal bullet out there and beat some of the 338's as well.

My 7mm/270 matches the trajectory of a 300 SMK in a 338 LM to 1700yd and it gives up very little in windage. For paper/steel targets, the significant reduction in cost adn recoil means I get to shoot a lot more of it.

The advice to get the 7mm RM is going to beat out either the 06 or 300 WM, that round can push the heavy 7's a very long way.

If you're going to build a rifle anyway, then look at the 7 WSM, 7 BAT (7mm/300 WSM) or a 7 SAUM. These short mags have a slight increase in capacity over the 280 Remington (7mm-06 basically) and they are exceptional long range rounds.

If you're dead set on a 30 cal, then I'd take the 30-06 since you can push it hard and give up very little to the 300 WM, avoid the belts, have cheaper brass, less powder, and still do the same job. </div></div>

My current build is a .30-06 for the same reasons. I gave some thought to .300 WSM but after seeing that with the heaviest and longest bullets it really wasn't any faster than '06 decided on the older cartridge. With a 28" barrel and RL-17, I'm hoping for 2900fps with the 208gr A-max. Anything over 2800 will get the job done and then some though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My current build is a .30-06 for the same reasons. I gave some thought to .300 WSM but after seeing that with the heaviest and longest bullets it really wasn't any faster than '06 decided on the older cartridge. With a 28" barrel and RL-17, I'm hoping for 2900fps with the 208gr A-max. Anything over 2800 will get the job done and then some though. </div></div>

I don't think you'll have any problems reaching your goal. I get 2875avg from my 26" barrel with RL22. MontanaMarine's testing picked up ~50 fps from the RL17 I think I read, and with an extra 3" on the barrel you should have no trouble getting to 2900.

The .300WM is a capable and flexible chambering, but it's just a bit too much for me to handle personally. OK, so I'm flawed...

The .30-'06 can match it, but the horses need to be whipped up a bit.

The .280 Rem uses the case capacity a bit more efficiently with the 7mm VLD's and can get the same job done with less internal mayhem, and easier on the shoulder, too. 120 to 180gr bullets get good accuracy with H4350 and H4831. A 26" 1:9" varmint weight barrel should git 'er done.

Greg

Greg- I completely agree with you, the allure of those cruise missile 180gr 7's drew me to build a 7mm on the 06 parent case. I have a 7mm/270 with a 27.5" barrel. It's heavy, but I built it specifically for LONG range, not a sub 1000yd rifle, my LR-260 fills that bill very well.

If someone came to me and said "You can ONLY have 1 rifle, pick the chambering and that's the ONLY thing you get" I'd take a 30-06 without more than 2sec of thought.

It's incredibly flexible, lots and lots of bullets are available, and it's easy to make it shoot and has wonderful barrel life. If I am shooting short range to practice it's reasonable to put 110's in it and push them around 2400 fps or I can really stoke the coals and sling a heavy bullet like the 208 a very long way.

I think that as shooters mature, they tend to allocate specific tasks to specific solutuions. In my case, that has led me to an effort at simplification. I currently shoot 8 chamberings including 20ga and .22lr, and am always striving to reduce that number.

The .223 and .222 are drifting toward the .222. The .260, .22LR, and 20ga are here to stay. The 44mag is my brush hunter in a lever gun. The .30-'06 is my staple long action cartridge, and is recently augmented with the .280, but I'd have remained ignorant of its outstanding potential had I not inherited a pair of rifles in the chambering. Number 9 is an SKS, gathering cobwebs.

Greg

Between the two I would run the 30-06 w/ 208gr Amax's pushed with RL-17. Great performance, availability of factory ammo, lapua brass, less recoil, excellent performance up to and past 1k, no belt to mess with and a wide variety of bullets made my choice easy. I am going 30-06...will probably have GAP do the work.

I think I would lean twards the 300WM. It's a great round, accurate and everywhere. I had one come through the school with a young 18 year old driving it. It had a muzzle brake and even running the 208 A-max it was suprisingly mild on recoil. He outshot everyone in the class with it and you should have seen it banging the steal around at 1000 - talk about energy on target, I was impressed.

Building one for myself this fall, but it will be suppressed.

Good Luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision

I sent you a PM regarding your low back issues.