• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag???

kirt

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2008
so cal
what length barrel do i want for my winchester model 70 for long range shooting 190 and 210 grain ammo
thanks for your input

Re: 300 win mag???

You could go as short as 20", I'd bet.
I run a 26" and shoot 200 gr SMK @ 3000+

22" would be a nice length, but it all depends on your goals.

26"

Sure, you'll get guys in here that will quote some ambiguous non-scientific study saying barrel length does not matter for the 300wm, however you will realize that is actually BS.

You will encounter more shooters here that actually DO shoot the 300wm and not just read about it, and they will say 26" is a great length for the big pills.

length equals pressure, pressure equals velocity, I once cut off a 300WM at 16" for a guy who wanted a "brush gun" I should have traded him a .30-30...

i guess that would be me. its just an idea. I dont know if its true or not

thank you guys very much for your input i will have to order a blank so i can get this project started

One of the main benefits to the larger case capacity is that you can actually fill it up with enough slow burning powder to do some good velocity wise. You can not take advantage of this without having enough barrel length. While you can get away with shorter, and it appears Tac-Ops does, I think the best results for a hand-loader are going to come with the 26" barrel.

As to the Tac-Op study:
I don't truly know how you can take 4" and not either lose or gain velocity?? I definately don't want to argue with Tac-Ops as they make a hell of a rifle, but that seem contrary to anything I have ever heard or seen. I know people are getting good result with 18" in the .308, but they aren't pretending there is absolutely no velocity gain when moving the barrel up a couple inches either... I wonder if they mean they don't see a 'detrimental' lose in velocity until 22". I guess I need to do my own study...

Dave

26" at least and if a heavy barrel nothing wrong with 28" .
The more powder you can burn and the farther the blast is away, the nicer.
Model 70 factory bull guns designed for long range prone competition had 28" bbls.

Remington is making SS 5Rs chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum with 24 inchers. This will be a 250pic run.

BRAND NEW IN BOX, THE LATEST 2009 REMINGTON 5R RIFLE with X-MARK PRO TRIGGER IN ***300 WIN MAG *** THESE ARE THE FIRST RELEASED AND ARE 1 OF 250 AS MARKED ON THE BOX WITH 24" BARRELS.

The gunsmith who built my rifle (Kevin Rayhill) said he has had best results with 25-26" barrels on .300wm...and with 190s a 1:11 twist...I took his advice and have been happy, and seems most others ont he board as well.

I would stay around 26" for a full burn.