• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag

flyweed

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2024
Wisconsin
I'd like to get into reloading my own ammo for my Savage Precision 300 win mag. Can anyone suggest a decent setup to get me going? I am really looking to fine tune and hone my skills for reloading match grade caliber ammo to shoot at my gun range. Thanks.

Midway, Midsouth, Graf & Sons:
Single stage press, like an RCBS Rebel (Inline Fabrications 4" riser/stand is sweet
RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser & scale combo
Full Length size & seater die set (Pick one, anything but Lee)
Hornady comparator set
Cartridge block. Lyman bleacher blocks are cool
Hornady One Shot case lube
21st Century Innovations mandrel die and .306, .3065 mandrels
21st Century Innovations hand primer
Frankfort Arsenal 3 way brass prep machine
Area 419 powder funnel kit.

Components:
Brass: Peterson "Long" brass, Lapua
Bullets: 215 Berger Hybrid, Hornady 208 ELDM, Berger 200.20X
Powders: N170, RL26, H1000 and the like burn rates
Primers: You can use large rifle and magnum primers.

Reactions: Gogga
There is a whole series of posts at the top of this reloading section. That would be a good place to start.

Reactions: flyweed
lol well that's not what you asked lol. no i don't need help. op has a similar rifle. i was asking how he is doing with it.
but since you asked what are you thoughts on xxlreloading? formerly quick load apparently.

lol well that's not what you asked lol. no i don't need help. op has a similar rifle. i was asking how he is doing with it.
but since you asked what are you thoughts on xxlreloading? formerly quick load apparently.
FYI. Sales aren't allowed in any other place than the classifieds section, and then one must pay the $20 a month sponsor fee to sell. So, nobody is going to ask to buy your stuff in these technical threads. Bans get dished out for that kind of stuff.

Moving on, all the stuff I listed previously is for an Elite Precision 300WM I use for LR and ELR and the damn thing is a laserbeam! A couple sub-MOA groups at the mile and hover around 1 MOA when I'm not screwing things up.

thanks for chiming in. the response to my comment asking for an update from not the op reads as asking what else i'm selling. second the items you listed i already have. powders i use h4831sc and h1000. depending on the load lrp or lrmp. i run 208 eldm, 220 smk and Hornady 230g atips. lapua brass. my goal in asking for an update to see what others are doing with loads in the same rifle.

thanks for chiming in. the response to my comment asking for an update from not the op reads as asking what else i'm selling. second the items you listed i already have. powders i use h4831sc and h1000. depending on the load lrp or lrmp. i run 208 eldm, 220 smk and Hornady 230g atips. lapua brass. my goal in asking for an update to see what others are doing with loads in the same rifle.

I didn’t ask you to sell anything. I asked to see what you have to work with. Because not knowing what you have or where you stand in the reloading process would lead people to expand energy in all directions leading to long and boring posts, like this very paragraph.

The 230atip needs a 9 twist barrel. Don’t waste your time with it.

220SMK- I like 76.5grs of H1000 @ 3.470” COAL, about .080” off the lands. FC210 primer. It does 2870 FPS from a 26” barrel and is stupid accurate.

208eldm- I used to like it. I used 77+grs of H1000 around 2950 FPS in another barrel. It shot very nice but I moved on to the 225eldm.

Have you found the max coal you can use? Because that will dictate how much powder you can stuff in the case.

Reactions: FredHammer
thanks for the info. i have all my loads dialed int for the above bullets. the 230 atip flies nicely for my 1.10 30inch barrel. 220smk flies perfect at 77.1 h1000 and the 208 is more than dialed in at 1.5 sd and 4.5 es. confirmed with 10 follow ups the next day. just got back from the desert and rang a plate at 1k for the first time 4 out of 5 in 13 mph crosswinds with the 220g. i wasn't gonna do it but my wife goated me into it lol.