• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 WIN MAG

scott8181

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
NE, GA
I am sighting in a 300 win mag and my best friend is just as good or better at sighting in a rifle. My problem is that he is a left handed shooter and i am right handed. Is that gonna make any difference in sighting in even using a led sled, because it is my rifle shouldn't it be me doin it because it is my eyesight and my trigger pull. Or does it make any difference?

Re: 300 WIN MAG

unless you are using a lead sled in the field, i wouldn't use one to sight in a rifle. nor would i have someone else sight in a rifle i planned on using in the field.

If you need a led sled to sight in your hunting rifle then its time to think about getting a smaller round like a 3006 or 308.

You owe it to the animal to practise shooting the way you plan to hunt.

Thanks for the responses and also working up a reload for the 300. Like you said, aint gonna bring the led sled in the field. I usually shoot off a short bipod and that's what i feel most comfortable with. Thanks

Wow, this is absolutely retarded. I'm amazed at the worthlessness of the responses to this thread.

<span style="color: #FF0000">First -

To actually answer your question and not just give a stupid opinion like everyone else, NO, the fact that your friend is a southpaw will not affect sighting in a benched riflescope in a fixed rest. Fire rounds and adjust the scope accordingly.</span>

Now to all yall with dumb contributions -

The OP mentioned NOTHING about needing it in the field or hunting any type of animal. He just wants his scope to line up.

If the shooter is not confident in his ability to accurate fire rounds with his rifle without a rest, there is <span style="color: #FF0000">NOTHING WRONG</span> with:

a) Having a more proficient shooter sight the scope

or

b) Using a fixed rest to sight the scope

THEN, the actual shooter can practice firing a rifle that already has a known point of aim, so if his shots are wild from that point, he knows it's HIM, and not the rig.

Again, there is NOTHING WRONG with having a rest or another shooter sight in your scope for you. You can then practice under "actual conditions" later.

Having a new/newer shooter firing unsupported/unzeroed with an unproven optics setup is a waste of HIS time and money.

Popping popcorn as we speak
smile.gif

As far as your friend shooting different handed from you I could think of 2 potential problems: 1) not having parallex set correctly may be more problematic with two shooters on opposite sides of the rifle. 2) a systematic shooting error may be hard to track down ( say you both hook the trigger, causing your shots to go right from POA for one of you and left from POA for the other.

I think if you get the parralex set correctly and have good technique, 2 shooters should have the same POI regardless of being opposite handed.

A rifle sighted in by someone else will more than likely NOT be "sighted in" for you. A lead sled WILL affect POI, so I wouldn't use that either. Of course, this is just my opinion (fact) and it differs from others with more "gun knowledge."

Wait...must grab another brew.......OK.......please continue now..........I'm in.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this is absolutely retarded. I'm amazed at the worthlessness of the responses to this thread.

<span style="color: #FF0000">First -

To actually answer your question and not just give a stupid opinion like everyone else, NO, the fact that your friend is a southpaw will not affect sighting in a benched riflescope in a fixed rest. Fire rounds and adjust the scope accordingly.</span>

Now to all yall with dumb contributions -

The OP mentioned NOTHING about needing it in the field or hunting any type of animal. He just wants his scope to line up.

If the shooter is not confident in his ability to accurate fire rounds with his rifle without a rest, there is <span style="color: #FF0000">NOTHING WRONG</span> with:

a) Having a more proficient shooter sight the scope

or

b) Using a fixed rest to sight the scope

THEN, the actual shooter can practice firing a rifle that already has a known point of aim, so if his shots are wild from that point, he knows it's HIM, and not the rig.

Again, there is NOTHING WRONG with having a rest or another shooter sight in your scope for you. You can then practice under "actual conditions" later.

Having a new/newer shooter firing unsupported/unzeroed with an unproven optics setup is a waste of HIS time and money.</div></div>

Someone must have gotten a led sled for Christmas.
laugh.gif

My opinion is ditch the sled aswell, I've seen them perform ok but I've also seen them be inconsistant and well like everyone said you won't have one in the field.
Plus they take the fun out of shooting.

Secondly, my cousin and I will both shoot my rifle that I sighted in and his shots will be consistantly high and to the left.
I always thought it had something to do with the fact that I wear glasses and he doesn't, but it also could be head positioning or paralax, I'm not really sure.

It doesn't hurt for your friend to get it close to zero and then you take it from there and fine tune it for you.
Shoot a few shots and then adjust accordingly, don't just shoot one then adjust, this is incase you pull your first shot or have a flyer.

I shoot righty, my buddie shoots lefty. We both shoot at a similar ability. At 100 yd. with the same rifle and optic, we'll punch clover leafs,.............. about an inch apart

i shoot a 300 mag for hunting. rarely i live in FL and hunt Ga so rarely is their game for that big of gun, unless im reaching out long way. but my 308 with 178 amax does just fine.

im going to agree with Kswift

although i do not agree with useing someone elses dope, but it will be better than bore sighting then you zeroing, most likely he will get you closer off the hip. but depending on your scope. when you look through the eyebox, the paralax will be diffrent then his based on many factors, eye relife, angle of focus, all kinds of stuff that im sure Kswift will argue with and what ever.
expecialy if its a cheeper scope, but hell ive see us optics have varriances in eyerelife vs angle paralax diffrences....what ever what ever.

i agree that unless your shooting at bear or carabo their no real need for taht gun, unless its a +500 yard shot.

i would not use the lead sled ever on a un-bufferd gun! my personal opinion

i think very good polssiblity you might have bit a bigger peice than chewable.

where are you in NE GA? im in toccoaa for the new year running between Hartwell and Toccoaa Westminister sc area, i have a nice set up to show you if you like and we can talk a little. pm me ill tex you my number

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with using a 300WM at closer range. I thought the reason to shoot game animals was to kill them? </div></div>

then stop pulling punches get a .50??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with using a 300WM at closer range. I thought the reason to shoot game animals was to kill them? </div></div>

then stop pulling punches get a .50??</div></div>

I used to have one but sold it. I would have one but ND thinks a person should wound a deer and not kill it.

Scott8181,

I have sighted in many rifles for my friends with little to know point of impact difference. .308, .270, 30-06, and one magnum which was a .300 Weatherby Magnum in a Howa Vanguard. Heavy recoil in a light rifle. It punished me tremendously. He later shot the rifle...very close point of impact within rifle and ammo allowance. I don't like led sleds but many people use them, and I have a couple of times. I know others will disagree, but I have had success sighting in rifles for others with little to no point of impact issues. You did not state if your going hunting or had an optic change or other...but your buddy could save you some money if you are shooting a 300 Win Mag. Blessings!!

Two experienced bigger caliber shooters should have near the same point of impact in a zero point, left or right handed.The scope focus will change because you each have different eyes and changing that could affect zero on cheaper scopes. Some one not used to bigger caliber guns will tend to shoot high because of the way the gun is held. From what I have experienced and seen you need to hold a bigger caliber gun down to be consistent, which is key to accuracy. Having some one experienced zero for you is great, it will confirm if the combination is working, doing what should be happening, then it is up to you to learn the gun and be able to use it to it's capability.

I agree and that is what me and my friend agreed on. I will be doing the sighting in and when i get my cable for my camera, I will post pics of the results of the handloads we came up with for the 300 and pics of the rifle itself.