• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 win vs. 308 in 5R

Re: 300 win vs. 308 in 5R

Both rifles are capable of excellent accuracy for a factory production rifle regardless of caliber. Sub-MOA capable with proper ammunition and if the driver does his/her part. But LoneWolfUSMC is right on...what do you NEED. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. One of the biggest determining factors with accuracy of the two rifles will be your expereince behind a belted magnum versus a standard short action centerfire. The recoil of the 300WM (while it isn't that bad IMO) is significantly more than the 308Win and some people are not as accurate with the cartridge even though it is in an almost identical platform rifle.

how far out do you plan to shoot?
Do you reload?
What are the intended purposes of the rifle?

these are the questions that people need to know answers to to help better give you opinions.

I usually reload with Lapua brass, 168 or 175 smk and Varget powder in a 308, I am not asking about ballistic capabilities only the comparative accuracy, I will be shooting no further than 1000 yards.

if you are only shooting 1K then the 300 WM seems a tad bit overkill. They are both gonna run around the same accuracy on paper, but the only improvement in the 2 is the speed attained with the 300 WM over the 308. With that given speed and ability to shoot the heavier 30 cal projectiles comes a further range of effectiveness. If you are gonna get either since you are only going to 1K go with the 308. The 300 is overkill for your intended purposes. But again, both will put the 30 cal hole in paper with the same accuracy

It's been said above.... both rifles are sub-moa shooters.

Take your pick based on what you will use it for.

Obviously at 1000 yards the 300wm with have a ballistic advantage but that just means you'll need to adjust more for elevation and windage.

I got a 300 one. With 8-32x50 scope, muzzle break and factory remington ammo. I can get 3/4in groups off bypod. I got it to use all around hunting and tactical. My buddy is getting one now. He loves mine