• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Win vs 338 Lapua

Tib's sps.tac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
When my wife and i got married we decided we wanted kids. After we were married when then realized that we had different numbers in mind. Yes my number was a little lower than hers (if it hurts so bad why 5?)

Anyway, the deal we worked out was that for each extra child beyond the number i was wanting(1) i would get a rifle. We welcomed our son (child #2) into the world 10-20-10 which means daddy gets both a new gun and a new hunting buddy.

I was thinking long range so i wanted to see if any of you had experience with a 300 vs a 338 and there effective ranges. Yes i have researched the ballistics but i wanted to get some field experience here.

Thanks Guys

(opps just realized i post in the scopes section...but im sure optics junkys can still help :))

Re: 300 Win vs 338 Lapua

As a new dad you need to save up for diapers and formula. If all your engaging is paper and gongs out to distance save your $ for the importance stuff and get the .300. It will do almost as much as teh .338 for 1/3 the price.

Unless you have a 1000+ yard range, I'd go with the 300. I have both and the 338 hardly ever goes out anymore.

I'm gonna put this in my notes of what to do when having kids! What an awesome deal haha! I'm with Emilio, I have been debatting the 2 for awhile and all I have is a 1000yd range so the effectiveness of either one will be great at that distance. The difference is once you start talking 1500+ yds. If you have the funds then by all means get the 338 but I think you will enjoy the 300 just as much at distances under 1200yds and it won't hurt the bank quite as bad.

If you're going to shoot 1500 and closer, 300WM. I have several cold bore hits at 1500 and 2nd round hits at 1750 and 1900 and a roughly 1 moa group at 2296 with 208 Amax's.

Unless you're killing stuff at these ranges, or shooting past a mile on a regular basis, the 300 will do the job just fine.

Certainly the high BC .338's will get there flatter and cut wind a little better, but at a price.

Also the new Hornady high BC 225 looks intriguing for the 300. Ran some JBM numbers today and it looks like they may stay SS past 2K, although so far the 208's are very stable through transonic.

John

Also was looking at 338 ammo...ouch!

I think i will take the advice and stick to the classic 300. Mcmillian's standard tac rifles are chambered in the .308, 300, 338 and the 50, so if it is good enough for McMil to make in their tac series, it must be solid.

Thanks a million guys...now off to get formula

It sounds like you could be at the start of a great tradition for your family, something like when each of your 6 kids are born, you buy a new rifle and use it and then when they grow up a bit it becomes their rifle etc. That will give you a good excuse to get nice guns that will last a few decades.

Congrats on your son! That sounds like a cool tradition that you have started for sure (even though from a purely financial standpoint it sounds like you got the raw end of the deal
laugh.gif
) My vote would be all things considered 300WM. Besides either one you choose you are two down three to go so you can always change your mind later. Best of luck!

If you are only hunting deer the 300 is you choice hands down, but is you are hunting brown bear or moose I would say the 338 is better. If you hit a shoulder bone a heave bullet can be real nice to have.
I am not saying a 300 WM with a 200+ grain bullet won't do the job It will.
It is just the heaver bullet in the 338 would give me piece of mind.
I also believe hunting deer with a 338 lapua is over kill!

Dude, get yourself a dog. You're gonna be wiping ass and keeping Momma 100% for at least a year, more like 2 before you even get much of a hall pass.

BTW I shoot my .300WM out to 1,600

Good luck

Reactions: PB"

I was in this same place about a month ago and after wrestling with the same question I went with .338 Lapua (Barret 98B)if not for any other reason than I really really wanted one.

You can't argue with what's been said about the ammo issue. It's pricey at around 3.90-ish every time you pull the trigger. However you can get that price down to $2.90-ish if you purchase by the case. After a case or 2 you'll have plenty of quality brass to reload which will bring the price down further.

There is simply nothing cheap about shooting either round IMO given that the platforms are expensive to begin with. Factor in the range these platforms are intended for and optics becomes a factor as well and is not something most people go cheap on.

Given the recoil of the .338 it's not exactly something you'll be plinking with. Sure...you wallet can't handle a 100-round session but neither can your shoulder. I typically will send maybe 20 rounds out per session and take another stick along for additional trigger time.

Had I been practical and went with .300 Win-mag or similar, I'd have still wanted a .338 and would have gotten one anyway plus I would have been out the money spent on the .300 so technically, .338 was a cheaper option. You also can't argue with the ballistics of the Lapua and the ability to crack engine blocks and blow stuff up. The fun factor is HUGE.

Gotta love man-logic
grin.gif

It wouldn't be "right" of me if I didn't at least try to ruin your thought process.

Guys, could you educate me please? What niche does 300WM cover?

Consider that for ranges below 1000m one could use 308Win effectively (say M118LR). Beyond 1000m - 338LM clearly rules. 338LM is expensive (both stick and ammo) - but so is 300WM (maybe to a lesser extent - but it's "compensated" by a shorter "reach"). Lapua recoils heavily - but so does 300WM...

So at what range (if any) does 300WM outshine both 308Win and 338LM, and in what properties? Would it ever make (practical) sense to have both 300WM and 338LM sticks (and what for - besides "I just like both")?

I'd expect to hear something like "between 1000m and 1300m 300WM is almost as good as Lapua but costs less", or "300WM may punch paper at X m, but Lapua would neutralize the target at that range" - but instead of me guessing what your answers might be I'd rather hear it from you!
smile.gif

Thanks!

If the ultrasound was off and it turns out you're actually having twins, can you just get both?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd expect to hear something like "between 1000m and 1300m 300WM is almost as good as Lapua but costs less", or "300WM may punch paper at X m, but Lapua would neutralize the target at that range" - but instead of me guessing what your answers might be I'd rather hear it from you!
smile.gif

Thanks! </div></div>

jrob covered it pretty well. Where the .338 Lapua and .300 Win Mag really part ways in a <span style="font-style: italic">practical </span>sense is in terminal ballistics. The Lapua is a anti-materiel/personnel round intended to bridge the gap between .308 and .50 cal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, could you educate me please? What niche does 300WM cover? </div></div>

Mouse,

You have to keep in mind that *most* of the conventional wisdom regarding the 300WM with regard to long range shooting comes from the military's use of A191 (Mk248 Mod0). That was a 190 SMK load going about 2950-3000 fps. For it's time it wasn't bad, but a lot of the misconception that the 300WM is limited to 1300 yds. comes from here.

The 190 SMK is a tangent ogive bullet. As such, it is at a significant disadvantage to newer secant ogive designs. Now keep in mind, in addition to the newer bullets being secant ogive, they are also longer and heavier, giving them much higher BC's.

I haven't shot a lot of A191, but I've shot a ton of 200 SMK's and the new 210/208's will destroy the 200 smk in wind, and the 200 has a higher BC than the 190. In addition the 210/208's don't shed speed as fast, and the 208 at least, has extremely good transonic performance.

But because the .338 Lapua was available to fill the vacuum left by the 300WM w/ A191, only a handful of people have really found the need to push the limits of the 300WM, so most of the opinions you get will be uninformed. I've had a really hard time finding reliable data past 1700-1900 yds. (practical not theoretical).

I have one rifle. It's a 300WM. I know it very well. Because I don't have a .338 or bigger, all my ELR shooting has been with this rifle and I can tell you that it has a lot of untapped potential. We recently set up steel at 1500 yds. Every time I go to that spot, my first shot of the day is at that plate (there is also a 500 and 1000 and we're looking to set up 1750 and 2000) Of the last 5 times up there, I've hit that plate first round, cold bore, 4 times in varying conditions.

Like I said above, my 208 load is still grouping well at 2296 yds, and this from a 22" barrel. A 28" or 30" barrel shooting the new 225 Hornady at 3000 fps+ would be devastating and certainly an even stronger argument for the 300WM over the .338. I'm anxious to find a spot where I can shoot 2.5K. I'm very curious what this round can do at the outer limits.

At some point the 300WM vs. 338 LM becomes similar to the .308 vs. 300WM argument, with range being the difference. One will give you a ballistic and wind advantage over the other. Do you have access to a range to take advantage of it on a regular basis and do you want to spend the extra cost/round to get it? Or would you rather strengthen your wind skills and be challenged a little bit?

If I were in a position to be engaging two legged prey at UKD, I'd want all the rifle I could get. For play, I'd keep my 300WM even if someone GAVE me a .338 LM. Dead serious. I cannot play often enough at the ranges required to separate them enough to make the cost/rd. worthwhile.

John

The main reason people buy a .338Lapua or .338Edge is because they can. Its pretty much the same reason why people have .50bmg's... because they can

.300win is a great round. Has a little more leg room over a .308 and pushes the limit a little bit more for long range hunting.

But then again so does the .338Lapua.

My main reasons for wanting to buy a .338Lapua would be the following

- Because I can
- I want to shoot beyond 1500 yards
- I want to develop some .338LM handloads
- I want to hunt at longer ranges and not worry so much about reduced expansion

Besides that, projectile choice and weight vs the rifle is also a consideration.

Are you buying a .300win off the shelf? What barrel does it have and will it shoot the heavies well?

If you get a .338LM with the right twist, you can shoot 300gr projectiles. These carry a lot of down range energy.

If your caught in the middle would you consider a DTA SRS rifle in .300 winmag? If you later change your mind you can purchase a .338LM barrel and just swap them over. Bam dilema solves and you have flexibility of both rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main reason people buy a .338Lapua or .338Edge is because they can. </div></div>

There is one more reason. A 300 gr Berger is a LOT easier to spot on a plate at 2000 yds. than a 208 Amax! Misses are easier too, those heavy bullets kick up a lot of terra firma.

John

BattleAxe, jrob300 and vman, thank you! I think I understand the relationship between these three calibers better now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where the .338 Lapua and .300 Win Mag really part ways in a practical sense is in terminal ballistics. The Lapua is a anti-materiel/personnel round intended to bridge the gap between .308 and .50 cal.</div></div>
Would it be correct then to say that 338LM is marginally better punching paper (and one doesn't need to push 338 as hard to get the result - thus perhaps better barrel life), but if terminal ballistics comes to play - then 338 would be the choice at the long range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said above, my 208 load is still grouping well at 2296 yds, and this from a 22" barrel. A 28" or 30" barrel shooting the new 225 Hornady at 3000 fps+ would be devastating and certainly an even stronger argument for the 300WM over the .338. I'm anxious to find a spot where I can shoot 2.5K. I'm very curious what this round can do at the outer limits.</div></div>
Interesting. How hard are you pushing those 208gr pills? And what kind of barrel life do you get? I.e. are you still on your first barrel? Or...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At some point the 300WM vs. 338 LM becomes similar to the .308 vs. 300WM argument, with range being the difference. One will give you a ballistic and wind advantage over the other.</div></div>
Understand now. In your opinion, what's the separating range between 308 and 300WM, and between 300WM and 338LM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have access to a range to take advantage of it on a regular basis and do you want to spend the extra cost/round to get it? Or would you rather strengthen your wind skills and be challenged a little bit?</div></div>
cry.gif
No I don't have such a range, and can't afford to shoot enough of 338. On the other hand, I plan to polish wind-gauging skills at much shorter distances and much lighter rounds - 22LR for "massive" practice and 308 to keep me honest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were in a position to be engaging two legged prey at UKD, I'd want all the rifle I could get. For play, I'd keep my 300WM even if someone GAVE me a .338 LM. Dead serious. I cannot play often enough at the ranges required to separate them enough to make the cost/rd. worthwhile.</div></div>
I think I get it now. Let me repeat the question I've asked a few lines above: what are the ranges that separate these two rounds, in your opinion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get a .338LM with the right twist, you can shoot 300gr projectiles. These carry a lot of down range energy.</div></div>
Well, already got - with 1:10 twist, so yes it should should 300gr projectiles quite nicely. Which should address any terminal ballistics issues in the (hopefully unlikely) case it's needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My main reasons for wanting to buy a .338Lapua would be the following.......</div></div>
I can sign under each and every one of the reasons you listed.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">e you buying a .300win off the shelf? What barrel does it have and will it shoot the heavies well?</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">If</span> I decide to add 300WM to my "herd of calibers" - it would be off-the-shelf 300WM SRS kit from DTA, so 26" barrel with 1:10 twist. The question is whether it would add anything to the existing kit (see below).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your caught in the middle would you consider a DTA SRS rifle in .300 winmag? If you later change your mind you can purchase a .338LM barrel and just swap them over. Bam dilemma solved and you have flexibility of both rounds.</div></div>
You would laugh - but I am currently enjoying DTA SRS (308 and 338 kit) and am considering whether adding 300WM to it would serve any practical (or fun or useful) purpose. Because on one hand - obviously there aren't many places where I can practice 338LM (beyond testing the loads and checking rifle zero). On another hand - 300WM won't make sense either until the distances open up beyond 308 reach... One thing I know for sure - if I add another caliber to the set, it should be more than adequate in both external and terminal ballistics (which makes me concerned of e.g. 260 Rem with its flatter trajectory but questionable - as I understand - terminal ballistics). 338LM fits that bill well - but at a high price...

wow guys, i didnt know i entered us into a topic that whole books could be written on. Thanks for all the input.

I have decided to go with the 300 considering i will not shoot passed 1500 yds very often and from what i have heard, the 300 is quit capable with those parameters.

I am sure the 338 Lapua is a stellar round, but i dont plan on taking out engine blocks any time soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tib's sps.tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow guys, i didnt know i entered us into a topic that whole books could be written on. Thanks for all the input.

I have decided to go with the 300 considering i will not shoot passed 1500 yds very often and from what i have heard, the 300 is quit capable with those parameters.

I am sure the 338 Lapua is a stellar round, but i dont plan on taking out engine blocks any time soon. </div></div>

You never mentioned what you already have. Is this your first stick?

A 300WM with 210 VLD's will shoot inside of a .338 with 250's, take less wind, and cost less than half as much per round. A .338 with 300-grainers is hard to beat beyond 1500m, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 300WM with 210 VLD's will shoot inside of a .338 with 250's, take less wind, and cost less than half as much per round. A .338 with 300-grainers is hard to beat beyond 1500m, though. </div></div>

Graham knows of what he speaks. Funny, I was thinking earlier today of the people here whom I consider credible on this subject. He's definitely on my short list.

Mouse,

At the expense of perhaps derailing this thread even further. If you already have a .338, the 300WM is a cheap trainer in comparison. You can shoot from medium to medium-long .338 range for WAY cheaper, but you'll have to judge the wind better(compared to the 300 grs.) Use the .338 for those times when it has to count, learn wind on the .22 at ranges to 150 yds., the .308 to 1000-1200, and the WM 1500-1700. The .338 will make them all easier (unless you're sensitive to recoil).

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be correct then to say that 338LM is marginally better punching paper (and one doesn't need to push 338 as hard to get the result - thus perhaps better barrel life), but if terminal ballistics comes to play - then 338 would be the choice at the long range?</div></div>

"Marginally" is arguable. If you throw wind into the picture the .338 has a decided advantage. You have to factor that the 1200 yrd effective range of the WM is very real. Yes, guys are exceeding this performace by quite a bit but they're not doing it with crate guns on factory ammo. And yes, terminal ballistics of the .338 is impressive and it can penetrate body armor at just over 1000 yards with an effective range of 1900 yds. Barrel life? Eh....338 is a flame thrower and my guess is that it can eat a barrel...likely no advantage there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, guys are exceeding this performace by quite a bit but they're not doing it with crate guns on factory ammo. </div></div>

Battleaxe brings up a good point here. I'm not sure what a factory v. factory comparison would look like but I'm guessing the gap would be wider.

John

I do not have a 338lm so no advice there.

I have been hunting with 300 wm for 22yrs. It is my go to gun. I beleive you will be happy with your choice .

For short shots ( under 400 ) on thin skin ( whitetail ) try a 150 gr. It is screaming ,flat and with 200yrd zero in a kill zone from 25- to 350 . Just center and shoot nice when your target don't give you time to do math or count clicks-

My uneducated, biased, expeirence based opinion!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the expense of perhaps derailing this thread even further.</div></div>
IMHO your post fits the subject - letter and spirit - perfectly (in case it matters).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a .338, the 300WM is a cheap trainer in comparison. You can shoot from medium to medium-long .338 range for WAY cheaper, but you'll have to judge the wind better(compared to the 300 grs.) Use the .338 for those times when it has to count, learn wind on the .22 at ranges to 150 yds., the .308 to 1000-1200, and the WM 1500-1700. The .338 will make them all easier (unless you're sensitive to recoil).</div></div>
Great guidance! <span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you!</span> (I found 338LM recoil to be quite reasonable - with and because of the excellent muzzle brake that DTA puts on its barrel. I'm sure I'd love it even better with a can - if somebody can convince our governor.
grin.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 300WM with 210 VLD's will shoot inside of a .338 with 250's, take less wind, and cost less than half as much per round. A .338 with 300-grainers is hard to beat beyond 1500m, though.</div></div>
Graham, I got it for 300WM, thanks! What bullet weight would you recommend then for 308? There are 208gr AMAX, 210 VLD - and lighter ones (168gr AMAX, 180gr, 190gr, etc). My barrel has 1:11 twist - so should stabilize any of the above reasonably well...

P.S. My thanks to the moderator who moved this thread to where it belongs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tib's sps.tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow guys, i didnt know i entered us into a topic that whole books could be written on. Thanks for all the input.

I am sure the 338 Lapua is a stellar round, but i dont plan on taking out engine blocks any time soon. </div></div>

You never mentioned what you already have. Is this your first stick? </div></div>

No, i have a 700 sps.tac .308 with a nikon 6-24 monarch. A few hunting rifles too but nothing that would consistantly shoot outside 1000 yards.

Just curious here...do you even know that you can match the potential of .338LM with your own skill? I mean, really, are you that good to shoot at 1500 - 2500 yards with .338LM and hit what you aim at? I mean NO disrespect but you can sure justify this purchase, but can you qualify?

I had the same question before, was trying to decide between 300WM and 338LM and I went with 300 and 28" barrel. I am glad I did. To tell you the truth, I suck at anything beyond 1500 yards so this was the main reason I didn't go with 338. So here are MY reasons:

Reason #1: I suck at anything farther that 1500 yards. (learned that few times on one of my friend's private ranch).

Reason #2: There are no 1000+ yard public ranges around here.
Reason #3: 300WM is in fact cheaper.
Reason #4: 338LM is Overkill for hunting, regardless of the range.

Reason #5: For up to 1500 yards, I doubt that my 300WM won't do what 338LM does.

Reason #6: Tons of factory produced ammo for 300WM
Reason #7: I have no need to blow through concrete, someone's body armor, or vehicles.

That is WHY I went with 300WM :)

Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #1: I suck at anything farther that 1500 yards. (learned that few times on one of my friend's private ranch).</div></div>

VYD,

Appreciate your honesty. Curious what round you're loading?

John

I only read the first couple of posts but it sounds like people are echoing what I was thinking, and the reason I sold my 338LM. If youre not shooting past 1000++, and regularly, youre wasting ammo and money with the 338. Get the 300WM or a 300WSM even, and youre fine to 1500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious here...do you even know that you can match the potential of .338LM with your own skill?
...I suck at anything beyond 1500 yards so this was the main reason I didn't go with 338.
...Sometimes I suck at 100 (hundred), lol, you know how it is sometimes....</div></div>
This doesn't suggest that <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> can match the potential of 300WM with <span style="text-decoration: underline">your</span> own skill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...you can sure justify this purchase, but can you qualify?</div></div>
So - based on the above - how do you figure you "qualify" for 300WM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here are MY reasons:</div></div>
And here are my comments on those reasons, and on the possible weaknesses in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #1: I suck at anything farther that 1500 yards.</div></div>
Are you saying that between 1000 and 1400 yards you're squeezing every millimeter of accuracy that 300WM can deliver? And that's why you don't stay with the cheaper 308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #2: There are no 1000+ yard public ranges around here.</div></div>
Yes that's a big one. But it applies equally against 300WM - what target are you trying to hit that's closer than 1000 yards and doesn't succumb to 308 (i.e. requires 300WM)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #3: 300WM is in fact cheaper.</div></div>
Cheaper than Lapua - sure. But now that we're in the price/performance game/discussion - why do you need the power, performance and cost of 300WM while there are perfectly serviceable 308 rifles that would take care of most anything you can legally shoot at in civilian life within 1000 yards range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #4: 338LM is Overkill for hunting, regardless of the range.</div></div>
Some of us don't hunt at all so it wouldn't matter. Others might say that there's no such thing as "excessive force".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #5: For up to 1500 yards, I doubt that my 300WM won't do what 338LM does.</div></div>
Please forgive me if I place more value on the opinion expressed by jrob300 and Graham. Feel free to re-read their posts - they explain nicely the advantages of 300gr Lapua over 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #6: Tons of factory produced ammo for 300WM</div></div>
Some of us prefer to reload.
smile.gif
But yes it is nice to have access to affordable factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason #7: I have no need to blow through concrete, someone's body armor, or vehicles.</div></div>
Oh, you're not preparing for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI?
grin.gif

How refreshing!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is WHY I went with 300WM :) </div></div>
And some of the above contribute to the reasons why I may <span style="text-decoration: underline">add</span> 300WM to the calibers I'm entertaining myself with.
smile.gif
(Just for those cases when I don't need to blow through someone's body armor and/or a vehicle, you understand.
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

VYD,

Appreciate your honesty. Curious what round you're loading?

John </div></div>

John, I use 190 gr SMK. I plan to reload but not right now. HSM, I've heard, has plans to load 208 A-Max in the near future. They already make 210 and 220 gr loads that I've not tried yet.

Sometimes I suck at 100 (hundred), lol, you know how it is sometimes, you've got to be "in the zone." :)
Thanks.

Mr. Mouse, sounds to me you are trolling. Troll be gone. Looks like you are an internet ninja with guns in your safe you never shoot. And this is all I am going to say...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, I use 190 gr SMK. I plan to reload but not right now. HSM, I've heard, has plans to load 208 A-Max in the near future. They already make 210 and 220 gr loads that I've not tried yet.

Sometimes I suck at 100 (hundred), lol, you know how it is sometimes, you've got to be "in the zone." :)
Thanks. </div></div>

I think you'll be amazed, for those days that you're "in the zone"
wink.gif
, how much better the 208/210's will make you look after 1500 yds. My shooting partner loads 200 SMK's which have a higher BC than the 190's. On day's where I'm holding on the edge of the plate at 1500, he's holding the leg of the stand (or about twice windage). He has a LOT harder time getting on than I do, and my barrel is 4" shorter than his. His SMK's are chrono'd at 3000 fps. Doesn't make sense on paper, but I'm telling what we actually observe on the range.

I don't consider myself *that* good of a marksman, I continue to work on my skills in this area, but honestly, I'm amazed at how well this chambering shoots with the right load, at extreme distances.

Keep in mind that I run a long throat, which allows me to seat the 208's WAY out (3.65 COAL, .005" off lands) so I can stuff more powder behind them. BC AND velocity are your friends at these ranges. The HSM ammo will be an improvement BC-wise, but you'll realize the maximum potential of this caliber when you handload.

John

also not mentioned, if going to be used for hunting, weight is a consideration with the 338lm...

I hunt with the 300wm and with a 100yd zero, I remember 3 numbers: 8, 20, 40 for my holdover for 300, 400, and 500 yds. Yea a 200 yd zero could be better, but I have a 100yd range in my back yard.

I have shot deer with 300wm and they usually drop right off and I believe, esp with elk, you cant go too big when hunting. If you hit your mark, the vitals, no meat should be damaged. I have tracked elk several miles that was lung shot with a caliber such as 7mm mag and even 300wm, and straight up dissapear with a gut shot. point being, big is never bad, hit ur mark, but remember there are tradeoffs (weight, price, recoil, etc)

my.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tib's sps.tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my wife and i got married we decided we wanted kids. After we were married when then realized that we had different numbers in mind. Yes my number was a little lower than hers (if it hurts so bad why 5?)

Anyway, the deal we worked out was that for each extra child beyond the number i was wanting(1) i would get a rifle. We welcomed our son (child #2) into the world 10-20-10 which means daddy gets both a new gun and a new hunting buddy.

I was thinking long range so i wanted to see if any of you had experience with a 300 vs a 338 and there effective ranges. Yes i have researched the ballistics but i wanted to get some field experience here.

Thanks Guys

(opps just realized i post in the scopes section...but im sure optics junkys can still help :)) </div></div>

Congrats!! Isnt that funny! Me and my wife are the same way(She wants 12 I want 0) and also have the same bet. My wife is due in January, with our 3rd (suppose to be a girl, already have 2 boys) and we have only been married for 3yrs. So I will be getting a new rifle begining of next year. I am going to get a Underground Skunk Works Infidel in .338 Lapua. I am going to order around March, after the new baby and everything calms down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind that I run a long throat, which allows me to seat the 208's WAY out (3.65 COAL, .005" off lands) so I can stuff more powder behind them.</div></div>
John, could you please share your experience with barrel life?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also not mentioned, if going to be used for hunting, weight is a consideration with the 338lm...</div></div>
Surely it would depend on the rifles used?

For example, if I add 300WM - it would be a conversion kit for DTA SRS, just like 338LM or 308Win. So the only observable difference would be between 26" .338 barrel and 26" .300 barrel, as everything else (chassis, optics, bipod, whatever) stays the same. Thus weight is not a consideration for me as it doesn't change with the change of caliber. (Besides I don't hunt
smile.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is getting both an option?</div></div>
It is for me!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Mouse, sounds to me you are trolling. And this is all I am going to say...</div></div>
Considering the quality of the arguments you offered - I applaud your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind that I run a long throat, which allows me to seat the 208's WAY out (3.65 COAL, .005" off lands) so I can stuff more powder behind them.</div></div>

John, could you please share your experience with barrel life?</div></div>

I'm around 600 rds. now on this tube. I stopped logging at 450, just got lazy. Had the throat checked about then and there were already signs of heat checking, but it just keeps shooting better and better. My OEM barrel was toast at 1500 rds. I hope this one will last longer, but I'm not necessarily easy on them. The more I do this, the more I think of barrels like brake pads. Expensive brake pads.
grin.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm around 600 rds. now on this tube. I stopped logging at 450, just got lazy. Had the throat checked about then and there were already signs of heat checking, but it just keeps shooting better and better. My OEM barrel was toast at 1500 rds. I hope this one will last longer, but I'm not necessarily easy on them.</div></div>
I see. Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I do this, the more I think of barrels like brake pads. Expensive brake pads.
grin.gif
</div></div>
Yes I completely agree with you. Considering the price of these pads I'm trying to do my best to minimize the "unnecessary wear" while still getting enough "usability". Must add that with 308 I probably won't be able to wear it out as I don't "push" my loads, and with 338 I just don't put enough rounds through it to expose its shorter barrel life - but then 338 has always been a "special purpose tool" for me rather than something I play with every day or every week.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I guess it's sort of like the car - you don't go out of your way to wear the pads sooner by stomping on the brakes every time etc, but you need to drive so you drive, and when you need to brake - you brake..."</span>

Outstanding logic! roflmao...

In Afghanistan in November 2009, Corporal of Horse, Craig Harrison made a 2,707 yard shot (1.583 miles) with a AI-L115A3 which in essense is the AIAWM .338 Lapau Magnum with Schmidt and Bender scope. He was using 300 gr .338 Lapau magnum lock base bullets. I believe he fired nine rounds with two kill shots and one hit on the machine gun for grins. So 3 out of nine rounds found their mark. The .338 Lapua Magnum with a 300 gr bullet I believe goes subsonic at 1200 meters, thats pretty fricken impressive.

The next closet shot was by Rob Furlong but was with a 50 BMG.
This was a 2,657 yard (1.420 mile)kill shot. He shot two rounds before he hit his target.

AIAW, Schmidt and Bender and .338 Lapua Magnum rocks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW, Schmidt and Bender and .338 Lapua Magnum rocks!!
</div></div>

No arguement from me. But even owning one myself I have to give the others' arguements merit. They're not practical rifles any more than a .50 BMG can be considered practical. That may change though as more are sold and ammo prices come down.

No one would accuse me of being practical when it comes to firearms. I have one because I fear that I someday may actually need it.
grin.gif

338 Lapua is IMO a more superior round.If you can afford to buy or relaod 338LM I would definetly go with it.Its just so damn expensive!

I was thinking over the same thing when I was gathering parts for a new build (.300WM or .338LM?)

I went with the .300WM just because of the cost savings and plus im not going to be shooting the longer distances that much to where the .338LM is superior.

The .300WM is fine for 1000yrds (guys on the hide shooting 1,500yrds with the .300WM another guy shooting 2,000+yrds). My ranges around here are mostly out to 600-800yrds max and the drive to the longer range (1000yrds) is a pretty far from my house so the .300WM was my choice mainly for that reason.

Also tons of Factory ammo for the .300WM and if I wanted to take it hunting it will drop pretty much anything and wont be like carrying a tank around the woods.

Get a 1-10 Twist to shoot the heavies.

.300WM
208gr. A-MAX + H-1000 = BIG TITS!

now lets bow our heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Afghanistan in November 2009, Corporal of Horse, Craig Harrison made a 2,707 yard shot (1.583 miles) with a AI-L115A3 which in essense is the AIAWM .338 Lapau Magnum with Schmidt and Bender scope. He was using 300 gr .338 Lapau magnum lock base bullets. I believe he fired nine rounds with two kill shots and one hit on the machine gun for grins. So 3 out of nine rounds found their mark. The .338 Lapua Magnum with a 300 gr bullet I believe goes subsonic at 1200 meters, thats pretty fricken impressive.

</div></div>

Lockbase is 250 gr... ur thinking of the scenar. They come in 250 and 300gr.