• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win

11ZuluB4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Banks OR
From your guys experience, what would be the heaviest gr round you would run in a 300 Win with a 1:12 barrel? I was thinking just running 190 SMK for starters and see what I can do with that.

Re: 300 Win

Ill give it a go. I really dont need to push too big of rounds and thats about as big as I think Ill go. Thanks for the reply

I'd be tempted to try some 200's too. They ran great from my old 1:11. Worth a try. Remember that twist is about projectile length, so shorter bullets for weight will work better in a slower twist.

Like Kirk said, you won't know if you don't try.

John

I'm stabilizing 208 AMax, 210 Berger, and 220 SMK in my 1/12 twist 308 Win, at speeds in the 2550-2620 fps range.

I have to believe they would all work in a 1/12 bbl, at 300 WinMag velocities.

Thanks for the reply. Im building a 300 Win right now and Im still gathering parts. One thing I do have is a heavy 1:12 barrel that I got into at a good price. Just workin with what I got and can afford lol. Ill give them all a try when I finish this thing

For what its worth I contacted Hornady with some questions about their 208 Amax for my 300WM which is a 1-10" twist. The Hornady rep told me all their data was taken from a 1-12" barrel. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about but that is what he told me, I am sure you will be fine.

I have a 1-12 Schneider that loves the 220 SMK. I'm pushing around 2800 with it out of a 24" tube. I think you will have no problem going heavy with a more conventional bullet design. Though it looks as if others have had decent luck with VLD type bullets in the 200 plus range.

Good luck.

I think you will be fine. Several guys I know are shooting heavies out of a .308 with that same twist. Just buy a few and try it. Not much to lose if it doesn't work, more to lose if it's the better choice and never knew IMO. Good luck