• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM Load Advice

Scottifly

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
Hi guys. Just got my first 300 WM and I'm looking for a place to start with my loads. Here's what I have:
26 inch barrel
1:10 twist
bolt action
Now the odd thing...at least to me: It doesn't look like I'll be able to load out past SAAMI length due to the magazine size. I'm not sure if that's common for 300 WM or what, but it is what it is.

So, here's what I'm wanting to do:
This will be an elk gun, so I'm looking at hunting bullets (Nosler, Hornady, Etc) with good accuracy (Accubonds, ELD-X, etc).
I'd like to stick with temperature stable powder since I live in Texas and will be shooting at 90+ degrees here and hunting Colorado at 40-50 degrees.

Basically that's it. Just looking for a good place to start, keeping in mind that I can't get close to the lands with the bullet I select and I'd like to be shooting 190-210 grain bullets.

Thanks

If you are restricted to SAAMI length, just pick out your bullet of choice, in the reloading manual of your choosing and start at the indicated starting load. You can use the OCW method or a ladder test to find the optimum load for your rifle.

I have to agree ^^.... in my hunting gun I liked the eldx 200 with h1000 .. no issue putting the animals down .. but that’s my own . Just throwing it out
There

Thanks. I know how to "work up a load", so no issues there. I was just hoping to see what others on here are using if they're faced with the same "limited" magazine space. A little cheating to save some powder and bullets, if you will.

Need to know more to be able to make any useful suggestions.
Max OAL that mag box will allow
OAL to touch lands with a couple of different bullets.
Brass being used.
Barrel mfg’er

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
This is just a stock Winchester XPR. Max COAL will be MAYBE 10 thousandths longer than SAAMI which I believe is 3.340 for the 300 WM. I'm going to say 3.340 just to be on the safe side. To the lands is MUCH farther. Basically to touch the lands, the magazine would need to be at least 1/8 to 3/16 inch longer.

Again, this is a hunting rifle...or will be if it shoots well. Not looking for 1/4 inch groups, but have never owned a rifle that couldn't get into 1 moa with the right load.

Anyway, appreciate the input.

I use 185gr Berger Juggs or 190gr SMK for targets, and 200gr Nosler Accubonds for hunting. All are powered by Reloder 22. Using the target bullet, I have had a few sub 1 inch groups at 200yds.

I like heavy pills.

I shoot these over an H1000 charge slightly over the book max (I think I get. Little over 2,700fps), and it’s as much precision as my comp rifle. Its just a joy to shoot as those big, heavy, high BC bullets don't get pushed around much. It will kill beyond any range I could see my quarry, and I would be totally confident at shooting an ungulate @ 1000 yds.

I used to be a bonded only, hunting bullet guy. I’ve now seen too many clean ’splodin’ bullet kills to remain a denier.

I like heavy pills.

I shoot these over an H1000 charge slightly over the book max (I think I get. Little over 2,700fps), and it’s as much precision as my comp rifle. Its just a joy to shoot as those big, heavy, high BC bullets don't get pushed around much. It will kill beyond any range I could see my quarry, and I would be totally confident at shooting an ungulate @ 1000 yds.

I used to be a bonded only, hunting bullet guy. I’ve now seen too many clean ’splodin’ bullet kills to remain a denier.

Fig, how far you jumping these 230s?

Seems like the OP is limited in OAL to 3.340” or so (and Ogive proximity to the lands) by his box mag (which totally fucking sucks if that’s the case).

@Scottifly 190smk is prob your best bet for general target shooting given your OAL limits/Ogive distance to the lands. It doesn’t mind jump and will perform well on top of RE22 (temp sensitive) or H1000 - best overall for the win mag IMO.

Last edited:
Win brass
180 Scirocco
IMR4350
Makes a nice combo for dropping game.

I’d have to look in my log book and/or at the most recent box, but I’m pretty sure it’s .02, and they do fit in the mag.

I love taking it to the range and shooting steel with it, and if you are shooting non-bonded it will NOT hurt targets at 100yds or less. I would try A comp with it, but most matches don’t allow magnums, I couldn’t spot with it for shit anyway. I think my fundamentals are pretty good, but even with a TBAC Ultra 9” it still jumps to much for a steady sight picture on the target....

I have had good luck in my 300 WM/s (both 10 twist( with 208/210 grain bullets, Fed 215's and either H1000 or RL 26. Easily sub MOA, on a good day .5 MOA at shorter ranges. Great caliber! If you have a hard rubber buttpad, get a slip on limbsaver pad, and you will shoot mo bettah!

I’d have to look in my log book and/or at the most recent box, but I’m pretty sure it’s .02, and they do fit in the mag.

I love taking it to the range and shooting steel with it, and if you are shooting non-bonded it will NOT hurt targets at 100yds or less. I would try A comp with it, but most matches don’t allow magnums, I couldn’t spot with it for shit anyway. I think my fundamentals are pretty good, but even with a TBAC Ultra 9” it still jumps to much for a steady sight picture on the target....

.020 sounds about right for the hybrids...I’m going to start development with my Mk13 and 215 Bergers in a couple weeks; .015 is where I’ll jump to begin and adjust as needed....Will do a ladder/saterlee test at 300 to locate the node(s) on the charge weight curve and go from there.

Mine will jump if my preload and recoil mgmt is not spot on; I wouldn't compete with it either.

0.040” jump with Berger 215 / 230 hybrids works really well.
3.370” mag box of OPs rifle isn’t going to allow anywhere close to 0.040” of jump with Berger hybrid bullet, more like 0.250+” of jump.

Depending how much he enjoys shooting it, his next step may be a stock or chassis system that allows for loading to full potential. I’ll try .030 jump as well, see how that goes. Usually start there with pure tangent bullets, anyway.

Ive had great luck with 200 eldx and the 212 eldx. Powder rl26 or h1000. The 200 eldx i had shooting good at 3.340 with rl22 also but the 212 stuck them out to 3.540. The eldx have been very easy bullet for me to tune. I say try the 200 eldx with some rl26 at 3.340

Ive had great luck with 200 eldx and the 212 eldx. Powder rl26 or h1000. The 200 eldx i had shooting good at 3.340 with rl22 also but the 212 stuck them out to 3.540. The eldx have been very easy bullet for me to tune. I say try the 200 eldx with some rl26 at 3.340
So would you say you preferred the rl26 over the h1000 on the 200’s?

So would you say you preferred the rl26 over the h1000 on the 200’s?
When I had the 200 i used rl22 but he wants more temp stable powder and 26 is pretty good i have found. Plus it gives you extra speed. I run the 212 with rl26. I run h1000 in my target with 225. But reloader 26 is very impressive powder used it with 3 rifles and different loads.

Just worked up a load for my uncles 300wm. I wanted to use h1000 but it’s not easy to find.
settled with h4831 and 212 eldx. With 73.8gr of 4831 we were at 2900fps in a 26” barrel

I see.. I’m currently running 210 Berger’s for my target load with 75.3 gt of h1000 and it loves it... but I have never tried rl26 or 4831

Average is about 2985
Using Norma brass

I’m about 2600 ft above sea level and we were shooting in 40 degrees...
seems relatively consistent from my notes though
Thats pretty good really good 26in barrel? I run a 26 in barrel rl 26 72 grains 2878 at 74 was doing 2990 but the lighter load was less recoil and so easy on brass. But i need to recrony it because i think barrel sped up to over 2900 with 72 grains

Thats pretty good really good 26in barrel? I run a 26 in barrel rl 26 72 grains 2878 at 74 was doing 2990 but the lighter load was less recoil and so easy on brass. But i need to recrony it because i think barrel sped up to over 2900 with 72 grains

sorry 28 inch criterion heavy bull barrel with a fat bastard brake

I thought about it .. but these 210’s are just shooting so nice tight now and I don’t want to start over the load developing haha
Yeah thats true i hate switching. Im getting 2929 with the 225eldm i live in colorado takes 15.8 mils for 1 mile they are sweet bullets

It's considerable time, some money, some barrel life, and some brass life to tune a load to a rifle. I feel like when I'm doing it I'm burning up these things that ought best be spent competing in a match for glory and fame. ;)

Once you've got the magic formula of tight spread and consistent speed there has to be a really good reason to switch. The vast majority of the time it's just tuning the jump a little if it should start to wander off. Starting over is very unappealing to me.

It's considerable time, some money, some barrel life, and some brass life to tune a load to a rifle. I feel like when I'm doing it I'm burning up these things that ought best be spent competing in a match for glory and fame. ;)

Once you've got the magic formula of tight spread and consistent speed there has to be a really good reason to switch. The vast majority of the time it's just tuning the jump a little if it should start to wander off. Starting over is very unappealing to me.
I agree I love shooting but load development ... well i just see dollar bills flying out .. haha rather be doing the fun stuff

Having hunted elk and African plains game and deer and hogs and about everything in between with a 300WM (favorite caliber by a significant margin), I'd say look to the hunting bullet first, since that is the one that matters most - or does to me.
On game, I've used nothing better than Barnes TSX. My gun loves the 180s pushed as fast as I safely can push, so that is the hunting setup. For target, it's usually 175 Amax or SMK with a similar charge - I'll have to go look it up on the recipe card.
I might be a bit behind the times, my projectiles are on the smaller side of what is now run by the cool kids; but hunting is a confidence game and I have lots of confidence in my 180s.

Reactions: BL012 and Shaun755
Thanks for all the info guys. Some of this is really good stuff and I'll definitly be putting some of your suggestions to use and see where I land.