• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 WM Nosler Brass issues

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I tried using Nosler brass in my .300 WM this weekend using a load I developed with Winchester brass. For some reason almost every round fired using the new Nosler brass blew the primer out! My Winchester brass with multiple reloads however is holding strong!!

Is anybody else having issues with this?

Win brass usually is thinner with higher case capacity...so it usually takes more powder to get the same velocity/pressure as other brands. What is the difference in weight between the nosler and win brass? I suspect this is what is going on. You probably had a max load in the win brass that is over max in the nosler.

Nosler brass varies A LOT from lot to lot in terms of case capacity. I recommend you take one of your win cases, and weigh it for h2o capacity. Then do the same thing for the Nosler. I can almost guarantee it'll be about 3 or 4 grains difference, which if your shooting a stiff load , REALLY MATTERS. What is your load btw?

73grns of RE22 pushing a 210grn Berger VLD with Fed primers loaded to 2.811 measuring the collet.
    With the 26" barrel I was getting 2975 using a CED M2 chrono, I'm not sure what I'm getting with the 24" barrel.

Nosler brass varies A LOT from lot to lot in terms of case capacity. I recommend you take one of your win cases, and weigh it for h2o capacity. Then do the same thing for the Nosler. I can almost guarantee it'll be about 3 or 4 grains difference, which if your shooting a stiff load , REALLY MATTERS. What is your load btw?

I can't speak to lot to lot variance, but I can say that within a lot that the Nosler brass I have is the most consistent brass I have ever used, dimensionally and by weight. Have not culled a single piece, every primer flash hole perfectly centered and deburred, and mouths chamfered.

Of course you can't rely on this across lots, and certainly not across different brands.