• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM or 7MM?

hill billy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to start building a new rifle and really am not ready to get up to .338. I regularly shoot to about 1300 yards now with my .308 and am contemplating setting up a mile target. All things considered, which of these two calibers would you choose for this task?

Recoil isn't really too much of an issue for me since I will put a brake on either one. Ammo cost and availability isn't really too much of a consideration as I have never bought factory ammo. I know the 300 will use a little more powder but I don't feel it's enough to be a problem. Just can't figure out which direction to go.

Re: 300 WM or 7MM?

Are you a reloader? If so, and you're looking at having the rifle built anyway, take a hard look at the 7/300 WSM or the 7 SAUM.

The 7/300 has a little more capacity than the SAUM, a little less than the straight 7 WSM, but the longer neck on the 7/300 helps with barrel life and bullet runout and subsequently accuracy.

The 7 RM won't do you wrong, but the 7 short mag flavors will do the same thing for less powder and better barrel life. They will easily run to a mile target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to start building a new rifle and really am not ready to get up to .338. I regularly shoot to about 1300 yards now with my .308 and am contemplating setting up a mile target. All things considered, which of these two calibers would you choose for this task?

Recoil isn't really too much of an issue for me since I will put a brake on either one. Ammo cost and availability isn't really too much of a consideration as I have never bought factory ammo. I know the 300 will use a little more powder but I don't feel it's enough to be a problem. Just can't figure out which direction to go. </div></div>

I was in the same boat as you. I was about to go 300 WM/WSM but ran the numbers and the 7s just have the 30 cals numbers in ballistic performance. Energy can be negligible, I don't think any animal is going to notice the difference between a 30 or 7mm hitting them.

That was several years ago and almost 1 barrel down on the 7WSM. Currently at 2500-2600 rounds and it still shoots well, but I do have a Rock on order right now whenever the barrel decided to die. Then back to APA it goes. And the only thing I would probably change on the new one is the addition of a FB brake.

Bacarrat, the LB brake should be more than enough for the 7, FB is kinda overkill IMHO. I have a Badger Thruster brake on mine and it recoils like a breaked 308. I imagine a LB would work better than a Thruster. My next barrel will wear a LB.

I have a 7WSM and would recommend the 7mm Magnums over a .300Win Mag. Will easily get you to a mile and do it with less drama than a 300WM.

It's only going to be braked until I get the suppressor on it. I am really not a fan of running a brake, but I figure, I am going to run one and sell it, then I am going to get the best one.
laugh.gif

i buildt an f class rifle several years ago when the short mags were still kinda new.the rifle started as a 300wsm.the rifle shot good but started searching the 7mm rsaum.it just beats the .30 cals,PERIOD!re barreled it in 7mm rsuam and never looked back.recoil was less(not dramatic but noticeable)and actually shot some .247 5 shot groups with it.had to sell it,but will be building another soon.can't remember exact load data,but remember i shot 168 bergers in front vv560 powder.7mm's rock.

I've never had a 7. On my 2nd 300 right now.

I've found that both have VERY loyal followings to the point of an almost senseless lack of objectivity.
grin.gif

All the above is true, the 7's can be made to outperform (sometimes marginally, sometimes not) the 300 ballistically. But at the end of the day, they both have the capability to rock well past 1500 yds

The 1 thing I will say in defense of the 300. If I'm at a C-store in Eastern Montana, they're probably going to have 300WM ammo. 7's? Probably not.

Just depends on what's important to you.

John

I'll be running a Badger FTE brake as I have had very good luck with them. Leaning towards the 7 RM now cause I can get one without having to build from the ground up like a 7wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never had a 7. On my 2nd 300 right now.

I've found that both have VERY loyal followings to the point of an almost senseless lack of objectivity.
grin.gif

All the above is true, the 7's can be made to outperform (sometimes marginally, sometimes not) the 300 ballistically. But at the end of the day, they both have the capability to rock well past 1500 yds

The 1 thing I will say in defense of the 300. If I'm at a C-store in Eastern Montana, they're probably going to have 300WM ammo. 7's? Probably not.

John </div></div>

Marginally? LOL!!! Why dont you goto jbm and punch in a 7mm 180gr JLK VLD with .735 BC at 3050 FPS out of a 7WSM and then try to match the ballistics of that round with 30cal anything. Im showing supersonic out to 1900yards. And thats out of a WSM, not RM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Marginally? LOL!!! Why dont you goto jbm and punch in a 7mm 180gr JLK VLD with .735 BC at 3050 FPS out of a 7WSM and then try to match the ballistics of that round with 30cal anything. Im showing supersonic out to 1900yards. And thats out of a WSM, not RM. </div></div>It's my understanding that ballistically the 7rm and 7wsm are pretty similar, is that correct?

Sorta, the RM does have the extra room to push them faster, but wasting a whole lot more powder. The WSM has enough room to push the 180's at 3050fps which is more than enough to get them to 1900+ yards.

Ive also heard of some custom 7mm 189 and 200 grain bullets with crazy high BC (1.0BC for the 200's IIRC)

I just hope Lapua wakes up and starts making brass and bullets (scenars) for the 7's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never had a 7. On my 2nd 300 right now.

grin.gif

John </div></div>

Marginally? LOL!!! Why dont you goto jbm and punch in a 7mm 180gr JLK VLD with .735 BC at 3050 FPS out of a 7WSM and then try to match the ballistics of that round with 30cal anything. Im showing supersonic out to 1900yards. And thats out of a WSM, not RM. </div></div>

Reference my comment about "loyal", "senseless" and "objectivity".

Read my post again... "sometimes marginally, <span style="font-weight: bold">sometimes not</span>"

Seems like you read what you wanted to read...

7's vary a LOT in performance, depending on the round and load. Ny shooting partner used to field a 7STW. Trust me, I know about both sides here.

Some people will find a fight where there is none. I stand by my statement.

BTW... "Im showing supersonic out to 1900yards". Is this supposed to leave me slackjawed??? 208 Amax's from my 22" (NOT optimum) barrel are SS out to 1850. So?

John

So the difference becomes recoil and powder and it seems like the 7's are going to beat the 300 on that. Wonder what GAP's lead time is?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never had a 7. On my 2nd 300 right now.

grin.gif

John </div></div>

Marginally? LOL!!! Why dont you goto jbm and punch in a 7mm 180gr JLK VLD with .735 BC at 3050 FPS out of a 7WSM and then try to match the ballistics of that round with 30cal anything. Im showing supersonic out to 1900yards. And thats out of a WSM, not RM. </div></div>

what's yor load to get a 180 to 3050 fps in a 7wsm? i am assuming that's in a long action. 2950 fps was about as fast as we could get one loaded to 2.94" oal. i can easily get my 300 win mag to 2950 fps with 210 vlds. i had them over 3k but they were not accurate in my rifle.

at similar velocities, they are real close in trajectory and wind drift but the 7 does have a <span style="font-style: italic">slight</span> edge. the 7 also does it with less powder, recoil and can be done in a short action.

Its a short action, using Glens WSM DM seating them out to 3.160" OAL mag fed with RL22 or 25 powder.

EDIT: sorry, just saw that you want the load, dont have it in front of me right now, but I hit 3050 with RL25 (dont remember how many grains) without hitting pressure and accuracy was very good. But then I started shooting 162 A-Max's because they are way cheaper and still stay supersonic out to 1600-1700 yards at 3150 fps. My load for the 162 is 65gr RL22 3.118" OAL 215M primers, sub .25moa load, 5.8 mils to 1000.

The 7mm RM is one of the most popular belted magnums sold in the US. Finding 7mmRM is NOT a problem.
Both the 7mm and 300 WM are fine cartridges.
Both will eat barrels, both will get you in excess of 1300 yards with room to spare.
The military is developing newer high BC bullets specifically for the 300 WM.

The big advantage that the 7mm has over the 300 is the fact that you can achieve the same results with lighter bullets, less powder and less recoil.
I am an unabashed 7mm fan, but in reality, pick the one that tickles your fancy, they both work.
If I were in your shoes, I'd look to an ultra-mag and when you are ready to step up, rebarrel as .338 edge.
If you are already at 1300 yards with a .308, I don't think the RM or WM are going to give you a whole lot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you are already at 1300 yards with a .308, I don't think the RM or WM are going to give you a whole lot more. </div></div>I'd like to say I'm going to get to a mile and start working my way backwards improving my accuracy but I know I will always want bigger and better. I have had a few surgeries on my shoulder and if I go even to an unbraked 300WM, I'm going to start having issues there.

So that's my goal. Looks like the 7wsm is going to be the ticket for me, now the question is how to get there. A bare action and go from there or start with something factory and work my way into it.

HB one thing to consider is if you are going for a short action repeater is Magazine length, especially if you are looking at 180 VLDS. A dbm in the badger vein limits OAL. Seekins to a certain extent just a little longer OAL (but only 3 rounders available right now). A Wyatt will help with that as well if you want a BDL/ Williams type setup. I have 300s and 7mms like them both the short action thing just kind of bugs me as it its one more thing to limit your possible combinations ie OAL is limited by mag OAL not the lands or possibly what shoots the best. None of this is really a big deal as long as the barrel is throated withthe OAL in mind, just one more thing to consider. I haven't drank the cool aid from either camp but when the barrel is gone on my 300 it will be replaced with either a 7mm RM, 7mm STW or maybe even the 7mm Dakota. My 7mm WSM will probably go 7/300 WSM or 7mm SAUM just to try one of those. I don't think you can go wrong either way just personal preference.
JMO
Rad