• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 wm with high es

patrick021

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
I have a 300 shooting 190 gr bergers ,h1000 , nosler brass and CCi primers . My es is real high 180 at 100 yds a 3 shot group all holes are touching. What can I do to lower this?

How did u measure muzzle velocity? Was it faulty equipment? For verification, if you shoot at 300 yards you will see a vertical string of ~2" with that velocity difference.

Sometimes switching primers can solve an issue like this, although maybe not an ES of 180.
Another one to check is neck tension of your brass. Were all of your rounds the same length?

I'm using a pro - chrono . What is the recommended distance for the chrono to be in front of the rifle? I'll try to find somewhere to shoot 300 yds

Assuming your reloading practices are solid, an Es of 180 is crazy. I would be highly suspect of the chrono . I would try & get someone at the range to let you run some rounds over their magnitospeed or labradar.

I check it with another one.what is an acceptable es?

What an acceptable ES is can be highly subjective. I would suggest to start with, aim for something under 30 along with single digit SD's for reloads, factory would be higher.