• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
I have a bartlein barrel that was chambered for the 300 Winchester mag for the 190 SMK bullets at 3.340 C.O.L. I have some 220 SMK bullets and reloading 77gr of H-1000 at 3.340 is a compressed load. Is this load safe to shoot hodgdon reloading Manuel has 78 gr max.

Re: 300 WM

You can only answer that question by safely working up to that load in your rifle. Just because it is safe in someone elses rifle doesn't mean it's safe in yours.

It's a good question, and Driftwood is correct.

Note that the Sierra manual lists 75.4 grains of H1000 as a maximum load.

Since you are using Sierra bullets, maybe you should give them (Sierra) a call and ask about it?

Incidentally, the Hodgdon manual also says: "This data, as the data in any reloading manual, is not absolute. It should only be used as a guide for working up your best load......."

Each rifle is unique and as the previous response says, you should gradually work up the load for a rifle.

Never just grab a maximum load out of a chart and assume it is safe.

Start lower, and work up gradually, while watching carefully for indications of excessive pressure.

In my factory Reminton 5R I load the 220SMK's @ 74.0-75.5 of H-1000 and that's as hard as I push them,.thats enough to get me to 1K with ease and if I want to stretch it out I can get to 1300-1350yds before I start to get close to going sub sonic. I have gone up to 77.0 but it was only a few FPS faster and the accuracy was horrible.

You need to get something like the Hornady OAL tool & bullet comparator so you can figure out where you need to seat your bullets in relation to your chamber & free bore.

I seat mine at about .010 off to give me a OAL(ogive) of 2.950 or so,.. The 190's ogive is not the same as the 220's,.. So if your chamber & free bore is cut for a 190,. And you want to shoot the 220's I would drop the charge down to 70-72 and work up from there in .2 grain steps.

You don't need to match the "navy" load if that's what your after,. Depending on the lot # there is a super sweet spot in the area I load that gives me a ES & SD so low you'd think my chrono was broken.

Good luck & hope it helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bartlein barrel that was chambered for the 300 Winchester mag for the 190 SMK bullets at 3.340 C.O.L. I have some 220 SMK bullets and reloading 77gr of H-1000 at 3.340 is a compressed load. Is this load safe to shoot hodgdon reloading Manuel has 78 gr max. </div></div>
If the chamber/lands were cut for the 190 SMK, then this could be a hot load. You need to work up to this load to know. No one can answer this until you test it in the rifle.

I got my overall length gauge tried the 220 SMK in it the bullet touches the rifling at 3.450 I am going to back of .010 and try the load at 74 gr of H-1000 and work my way up .3 of a gr up.I dismantled the other 77gr loads.

You might want to try berger VLD's They can be seated a lot further than "normal" bullet because they have a narrower ogive than that of the sierras. My friend uses the 210 vld in his .300 win mag and pushes them at 2950 fps. Just be careful start low and work your way up. That same friend of mine nearly killed himself when he mixed up his RL-22 with Rl-15 and shot his .300 win mag. It sounded like an anti tank gun and shot 11 feet above the 1000 yd target. We had to hammer his bolt open and the case was almost welded to the bolt face with the primer no where to be found. Also the berger VLD's are very sensitive to seating depth, some like to be into to the lands some like to be 1/1000 off from the lands (this will also increase pressure).