• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wsm / 208 amax?

OKbow87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
Was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this combo running it at a coal that will fit in a short action remington magazine and still feed. I have been thinking about picking up one of the sps varmints in 300 wsm and putting it in an extra hs stock that I have. I just don't know if this will work or not cause I don't want to single shot it. Also if you have any other suggestions on what might fit and still shoot good like 190 bergers or something of the like I would be interested in hearing about that too. Or any insight of the use of a wyatt's extended box mag or the new seakins wsm detachable mag kit. Thanks in advance guys.

Colin

Re: 300 wsm / 208 amax?

I'm NOT a gunsmith, but I don't think you are going to be able to chamber the 208 AMAX in the WSM cartridge, unless you have a special chambered barrel. I think I might have asked George at GAP before and he said that couldn't be done. Also, with the longer bullet of the 208 AMAX, you don't have enough case capacity, because the bullet sits too deeply into the casing. I had a similar thought, but ended up going with the 300 win mag instead.

I know of shooters having trouble with some of the 190's to fit in the mag, so the 208 (which is a very long bullet) will not mag feed unless you single load. Then, you need to make sure you have room to the lands. You won't be able to get it to 300 WM velocities, due to case capacity.

Hello,
I hope to get some good advice on this one..lol..
I bought a long action rem 700 and put a floor plate with a 10 round mag on it, opened the bolt up to wsm all this just so I can mag feed the 300 wsm with 208gr, 210gr, 220gr and 240gr. I wanted to be-able to seat the bullet out far enough not to lose too much case capacity, doing it this way I believe that I can reach WM velocities while taking advantage of the short fat powder column, any load advice is appreciated..
Thanks guys..

Here's my 300WSM/208A-Max combo for my FNSPR-A4, jlmomaha.

208gr. Hornady A-Max

Winchester Brass trimmed to 2.09" with uniformed primer pockets and deburred flash-holes.

Federal Gold Medal Large Rifle Magnum primers (GM215M)

69.0grs. of Reloader-19

COAL 3.000"

2,890 fps at the muzzle, ES=28 fps, SD=10 fps

A word of caution here... In my experience, my FNSPR's chrome-lined bore normally requires 1.5-2 grains more powder to build the same pressures and velocity as a non-chrome bore. I have gone up to 70.0gr of Reloader-19 (2,935 fps)with this combination, but extraction was starting to get a little stiff. The 69.0gr. load is plenty fast and hovers around a half-inch at 100.

The COAL of 3.000" is a 0.008" jam into the lands on my rifle, and the 208 likes it that way. They still function fine through the magazine.

Back down a little, and it might be a good place to start with your long-action 700. Hope it helps.

I have been running a short action surgeon 300wsm for a while now, I had the feed ramp cut and run aics mags without the front plate, I use a 22" barrel. My load consists of 208 amax, norma brass, wolf mag primers, and 66.5gr of R19, this yields 2810 with single digit sd. I have pushed it past 2850 without pressure but backed it down to the aforementioned load. I really enjoy this combo as I am very close to 300wm velocity with a short action and a 22" tube. I would build another one.

The FN/Winchester wsm actions that I have used have all had longer magazine boxes than their respective Remington rifles. I have no problem loading 200 and 220 grain SMKs in my rifle.

I don't have the load data here, but I am getting around 2850 with a 21" barrel using H4831sc and 200grain SMKs and Accubonds.

My FN has a box about 2.840". Still too short if you ask me.

Interesting, the 300wsm on my FN SPR box is 3.045". The box for my 308 is about that length though.

Guys I just had a fn spr 300 shipped in.. UPS smashed it.. The barrel was torqued.. I am going to get a krieger blank and Probably go with a 26" 1:10 twist.

I am wanting to shoot the 208 amax so any data is great. What do you all think about this combo?

Any recommendations since I am going to be able to start from scratch with the blank?

jeremy

Oh why do you guys keep torturing yourselves....dump the 30cal and move to 7mm! With a Seekins WSM DBM you can mag feed round with OAL up to 3.165" in a short action. And you have access to a plethora of high BC bullets that leave 30 cal to shame.

Just sayin..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh why do you guys keep torturing yourselves....dump the 30cal and move to 7mm! With a Seekins WSM DBM you can mag feed round with OAL up to 3.165" in a short action. And you have access to a plethora of high BC bullets that leave 30 cal to shame.

Just sayin.. </div></div>

Very few bullets in 7mm have a better BC than the 208gr A-Max and the ones that do are only slightly better. I'll take the added punch and wind resistance of the heavier bullet.

Interesting discussion as <i myself have been doubting---

7mm bullets are good, but 162 amax bc is .62, berger 180 .659..

208 amax is .64, and some new hornadys are coming it seems in 235 I think....

For hunting... 30 cal carries more energy but I have always been in favour of the 7 mm.. until the arrival of the 208amax.

300wsm in a long action .. what speed can you safely reach with the 208amax??

seven mm what was the COAL for your amax load, and was it compressed? I've been kicking around the idea of re chambering my savage 10fp in 300 wsm. The savage mags are pretty roomy 2.980 seems to be doable.

I just checked length for 208 Amax in my 300WSM FN SPR A5. Loaded to touching the lands is 2.960" The only way I can see to shoot these in an FN loaded the way the Amax prefer in my experience usually .01 into the lands, would be single feed.

There was a tread I saw a couple days ago advising to jump these .01-.02 for best accuracy.

I have a box of them to try in my FN SPR WSM, but have yet to find the time... my max OAL in the mag box is 3.045", wonder if FN changed something.

Niles, thanks for the link. I just loaded up a ladder test to take out and shoot this week loaded .002 into the lands. Looks like I need to reseat and try a jump. Let me know your range report and how your FN WSM performs.