• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM Action Advice

EDMJustin

Canadian Eh
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
Alberta, Canada
I am looking to build myself a moderately lightweight custom hunting rifle. I currently have a 7 Saum in a short action and I love it. The problem is as most of you know, is the COAL in the short action. So for this 300 WSM build, I am going to build this on a XM length action or a long action. I am going to have it chambered to have the base of the bullet at the neck/shoulder junction to get the most out of this cartridge with the longer bullets. This rifle with be primarily used as hunting rifle for elk and moose in Alberta, Canada. Also the occasional range visit.

The question I need help with is feeding. Would it be better to go with a XM length or a long action? This rifle would have an AICS detachable magazine. I would like to have a dependable rifle with moderately high feeding reliability. XM Stocks and chassis are not as common as regular long actions. Hawkins makes a XM length bottom metal specifically for the MDT Saum/WSM magazines(3.335) and Manners will inlet for XM length actions. If I were to go to a long action I would probably go with a Zermatt TL3 to possibly have the advantage of the control round feed to compensate for the slightly extra magazine length. I have been told that the short 338 Lapua(3.715) magazines with feed a Saum/WSM case reliably.

Anyone here with a similar build or experience willing to help a guy out. Will it matter either way? Are there major benefits to one or the other?

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
If your wanting a light weight hunting rifle look at the Lone Peak Fusion TI Medium action. I went with this action and had 6.5 PRC and 300WSM barrels in Proof and Benchmark CF spun up for it. I had the throat chambered to take 215 Berger's in the 300 WSM. I used Hawkins trap door bottom metal and have plenty of room for the longer seated rounds to fit. The LP is the smoothest action I have ever owned and I have had many of the top brands, Surgeon, Defiance, Stiller, Big Horn/Zermitt, etc.. Zero feeding issues.

Reactions: EDMJustin
I am in Canada and called up my local dealer. He was unable to give me a lead time on the lone peak due to covid and high sales south of the border. So I decided to go with the XM length Defiance AnTi X. Picked up a 22 inch Benchmark carbon barrel as part of a deal. Hopefully I will have everything in about 8-10 weeks. Thanks for the help guys.