• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 WSM and accuracy ?

scamp62

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
L.A. California
Has anybody built a .300 WSM rifle ? the ballistics looks a lot like the .300 Win Mag. and is not a belted case
It looks like you could build one on a short action. I was just wondering about accuracy, dose this round have the chops to be considered a sniper (target) round.

Re: .300 WSM and accuracy ?

It can be a very accurate caliber. My Savage holds gorups at about .75moa. I would builg one on a long action to seat the bullet out longer.

Are you serious? It has quickly become an extremely popular cartridge for practically any use you can use a gun for. Its short action capability makes it arguably better than a Win mag by some. regardless of your preference, the 300wsm is a fantastic round, capable of outstanding accuracy, and long range power.
128069.jpg

Here is mine.

And last years IBS 1000 yard champion won it using a 300WSM in his heavy gun.
The thing's a HAMMER !!!

Scamp,

My 300WSM was the an absolute hammer. I loaded 220 grain MatchKings in the short action with no problems. Consistent 1/2 MOA or better. The guy that bought it from me is having similar results. There is not a more versatile round in existence IMO.

Let me know if you decide to get one. I have lots of load data and experience with this caliber that you might find helpful.

-Chris

Whats the life expectancy of a 300 WSM barrel to that of a 300Win?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B3B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the life expectancy of a 300 WSM barrel to that of a 300Win? </div></div>

Also interested in this.

Depends on how you run them. This topic is not really caliber specific. Use the search in my signature to see what I mean. I had right at a thousand round through mine and the bore looked great. Just guessing, but I was hoping to get 3000 out of it.

-Chris

I have one built on a 700 Long Action and it's a tack driver. 185 Bergers have given me the best groups.

I run 175 SMK's in mine and it does quite well for accuracy. Deer seem to just fold when hit, even at some what extended range. Currently have about 1100 rounds through mine and it still holds .5moa if I do my part.

300 WSM

300WSM5.jpg

George Gardner is sending me a .300 WSM hunting rifle prototype for T&E....cant wait to get my hands on it!!

I promise a range report and a hunting report as well this fall...

All I can say right now is it will be on a Templar action.

IMHO, I would say the 300WSM is the closest caliber to be a one gun hunting machine. It is over kill for some ( like east coast )but then again is there such thing as to dead. I shoot the 168gr. Barnes TSX bullet seated 70 thousands off the lands. I have taken a moose at 628 yards, and a bushbuck at 30 yards. the only animals in the world I would not shoot with it are as follows buffalo speecies of africa, water buff in Australia, the big brown bears of ( alaska,russia )and b/c you have to have 375 or bigger on big five & hippo in Africa. So for only about 12 differant animals, the 300WSM will take them down in most any hunting situation you could have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George Gardner is sending me a .300 WSM hunting rifle prototype for T&E....cant wait to get my hands on it!! </div></div>

The GAP Non Typical WSM holds only 2 rounds in the magazine. Do you know if the prototype holds more?

Scamp62
Have you considered a 7 WSM? I am going to do a Surgeon 591 short action build in this caliber...waiting for my barrel.

Scamp,

My 300WSM was the an absolute hammer. I loaded 220 grain MatchKings in the short action with no problems. Consistent 1/2 MOA or better. The guy that bought it from me is having similar results. There is not a more versatile round in existence IMO.

Let me know if you decide to get one. I have lots of load data and experience with this caliber that you might find helpful.

-Chris
Just wondering why would you have sold that
rifle?

300 wsm is the one gun solution. It's also a top choice for F class open and 1000 yard benchrest. I heard rumors 1 bullet company switched to 1 accuracy test barrel from 308, 30-06 and 300win mag to 300wsm for all velocities.

You can use a thing called a private message. I see your new here so don’t take this stuff personal. But still just pm the dude with the gun.

Here is my contribution to the thread. I have a 300 WSM barrel laying around for my GAP Crusader. Have only done some test loads before putting my 6.5SAUM barrel on it. I was amazed at the low recoil and extreme accuracy (like one hole groups/best group I have personally ever shot).

I have been studying the 131 ACE for a 25 SAUM build and reading up on @coldboremiracle articles of his Quarterbore experiences. I decided to make a table to compare drop and Energy on target of the calibers I load for with actual data straight from Trasol. The 25 SAUM is the only one with a muzzle velocity that is an estimate based on reading I have done. The 300WSM sounds like a show stopper but when the data is next to something like the 7SAUM it does not look as good... but only at extreme distance. I'd image a big ol' 30 cal hole from a WSM at "normal" hunting distances will be devastating. Plus fitting in a short action is a huge benefit.

I was happy to see the 25 SAUM is much flatter than the rest, while still retaining enough energy to whack a mulie or maybe an elk... but the energy of the 7SAUM still is hard to overlook.

Anyways, back on topic! Here is a 300WSM data point for you. I'll take my table over to @coldboremiracle page on the 25 Creedmoor and 131 ACE now lol

1593011575471.png

Last edited:
Wanna make something that beats a 7 saum shooting 180-190’s?
300WSM with 180-198 solids in a long action, even more speed with the high BC’s
Highly efficient case with fairly mild recoil.

Sorry... Didnt check the date when this one was at the top....
I wouldn’t apologize to anyone. There seem to be a lot of immature minded people on these forums that act as if something is off by commenting on old threads. I could care less when they run their necropost nonsense. Reminds me of my Wall Street days as a Rookie broker. All the veterans were mocking me for calling old , supposedly stale leads. In twelve months I became the number one producer in the company and shut all their mouths. You can learn a lot of new things from old things. Ignore the imbeciles, that think they are ahead of the curve but are actually way behind it in the true game of life. Which by the way they may very need to get one. LMAO. Did I mention I retired at the age of 40 while some of those idiot veteran brokers went bankrupt? Don’t apologize to anyone if you did nothing wrong-and maybe even then. Lol

Reactions: Pezco and BuLLet
The same guys that bust your chops for thread necromancy will bust your chops when you create a new thread instead of using the search feature. You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t around here. But, a 10 year old thread. F necromancy. That’s “Google search results page 3” achievement...

The same guys that bust your chops for thread necromancy will bust your chops when you create a new thread instead of using the search feature. You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t around here. But, a 10 year old thread. F necromancy. That’s “Google search results page 3” achievement...
Not necessarily true.
Real problem is asking a question but you don’t like the answers.
Ask a honest question and give good particulars and often you’ll get an information gem.

How many were shooting fast twist barrels with modern high BC bullets and solids a decade ago with the awesome modern powders?