• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM build questions

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Yes I searched but didn't find a ton so here it goes.

Looking at building my next deer/tactical set up, and need to get some opinions.
Looking to pick up a barrel and want to narrow down some choices with length and twist.
Plan on going M24/40 contour (not worried about the weight) and I will be using strictly factory loaded ammo in the 150 - 190gr range. Want to go short as possible on length with out losing to much velocity, 20-23" max or is this too short for this caliber? Shorter would be great if possible. Please let me know what type of information you guys might have in this situation so I can move forward with a barrel selection. Typical range I hunt would be 25 - 450 yards with some rare shots out to 550 - 600. And yes I know the 308 will handle this fine but I'm wanting to do something different this time.
Thanks in advance
Derrick

Re: 300 WSM build questions

I have a 300 WSM with a 24 inch barrel. I can reach 3000 FPS with hand loads using the 185 VLD. I think a 22 inch barrel would great but you really need to consider reloading or you will never get the performance out of that round.

Hey man how are you! I have one being built...actually it may ship this week. I built it on a 24 inch barrel....real question is what velocities are you looking to get out of the gun? 150-190 at the ranges you are speaking of will smoke a whitetail all day long.

I love the concept of a 20 inch barrel but I think that is way to short to get a decent powder burn out of 65 plus grains of powder in my opnion...I would stay with the 23 (22 absolute shortest) buts that just me...

And if I was going to go 22 inch I may also consider teh 300 SAUm over the 300WSm since the SAUM case is more efficient giving you the same velocities with less powder...less powder means better burn in shorter barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey man how are you! I have one being built...actually it may ship this week. I built it on a 24 inch barrel. Being you are only looking to kill and shoot this gun at 500 yds max you could go 20-23 and be fine...real question is what velocities are you looking to get out of the gun? 150-190 at the ranges you are speaking of will smoke a whitetail all day long.

I love the concept of a 20 inch barrel but I think that is way to short to get a decent powder burn out of 65 plus grains of powder in my opnion...I would stay with the 23 (22 absolute shortest) buts that just me...

And if I was going to go 22 inch I may also consider teh 300 SAUm over the 300WSm since the SAUM case is more efficient giving you the same velocities with less powder...less powder means better burn in shorter barrels. </div></div>

While most of my shots will be well under 500 I don't want to limit the gun if I want to take it out further. I don't want a 300wsm that shoots identical to a .308 ballistics wise because of a short barrel. I will look at the 300SAUM but my concern is limited factory ammo availability. On the other hand 23-24" is not out of the question just wasn't sure if I could squeeze some good number out of something shorter. What twist did you go with and what grain pill are you planning on shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey man how are you! I have one being built...actually it may ship this week. I built it on a 24 inch barrel. Being you are only looking to kill and shoot this gun at 500 yds max you could go 20-23 and be fine...real question is what velocities are you looking to get out of the gun? 150-190 at the ranges you are speaking of will smoke a whitetail all day long.

And if I was going to go 22 inch I may also consider teh 300 SAUm over the 300WSm since the SAUM case is more efficient giving you the same velocities with less powder...less powder means better burn in shorter barrels. </div></div>

While most of my shots will be well under 500 I don't want to limit the gun if I want to take it out further. I don't want a 300wsm that shoots identical to a .308 ballistics wise because of a short barrel. I will look at the 300SAUM but my concern is limited factory ammo availability. On the other hand 23-24" is not out of the question just wasn't sure if I could squeeze some good number out of something shorter. What twist did you go with and what grain pill are you planning on shooting? </div></div>

1:10 and 208 Amax

Sledge your 300wsm sounds like it kicks ass. Did you build the rifle in your signature?

<span style="font-style: italic">300 WSM with Stiller Predator Action, Rock Barrel, Manners T-5 and Jewell trigger.
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 300 WSM with a 24 inch barrel. I can reach 3000 FPS with hand loads using the 185 VLD. </div></div>

The guy that builds Tac Ops rifles, who really advocate 18" barrels on their 308's, says about 22" is the shortest to go on a 300 wm, and his personal 300 has a 24" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sledge your 300wsm sounds like it kicks ass. Did you build the rifle in your signature?

<span style="font-style: italic">300 WSM with Stiller Predator Action, Rock Barrel, Manners T-5 and Jewell trigger.
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 300 WSM with a 24 inch barrel. I can reach 3000 FPS with hand loads using the 185 VLD. </div></div> </div></div>

Yes the two rifles in my signature are the two custom builds I own at this time. The WSM is an absolute hammer and I will always own one as my magnum rifle.

67.5 grains of h4350 and a 185 berger vld is a killer combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cactus Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy that builds Tac Ops rifles, who really advocate 18" barrels on their 308's, says about 22" is the shortest to go on a 300 wm, and his personal 300 has a 24" barrel. </div></div>

I am planning on building a hunting rifle in 325 WSM. They typically use 4-5 grains more powder. I was hoping for a 23" barrel, but more powder makes me think I may need a 24" barrel.

I have one being built right at GAP. Everything was sent in the middle part of September. I went with a 24in barrel.

Surgeon 591WSM
Krieger #17 1 in 10
Seekins DBM
McMillan A5
Jewell trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am planning on building a hunting rifle in 325 WSM. They typically use 4-5 grains more powder. I was hoping for a 23" barrel, but more powder makes me think I may need a 24" barrel.
</div></div>

looking at building one as well

I have a GAP built 300 WSM in a Surgeon 591 with a Bartlein 1:11. It shoots excellent. I did have a muzzle brake installed so it measures out to just under 26 inches. Other than that, it is a 24 incher. If I could do it over again, I would do a 22 with a brake, I like the shorter barrel. As far as the velocity, I really don't know, I just go by what my sierra program tells me. I use 70 grains of RL22 and it's supposed to do around 2900 with a 190 SMK out of a 24 incher.

Mine is a 22" on a surgeon 591, it will run 208's at 2800 with ease, 185 vld at 2975. Very accurate round, makes for a fairly compact rifle that hits hard.

Thanks for the read. I myself have been wondering about this cartridge. In my research 22 has been the shortest recommended I've seen bit no first hand experience.