• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 WSM Bullet

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I just ordered a new barrel chambered in 300 WSM. I am sending my rifle to the gunsmith this week.

I can pretty much choose what I want.

So my question is simple what bullet would you consider optimal for LR deer hunting and target shooting?? Out to 1,000 yards.

I can have the chamber cut the way I want.

What twist barrel would you recommend with the bullet?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: 300 WSM Bullet

I use the 200 Accubond for hunting.It is a very accurate hunting bullet, and has a fairly high BC. They have gotten pretty expensive, so I have started using the 200 SMK at the range.

Many will tell you that 180 is the heaviest that you can shoot in the 300 WSM. I have a model 70, and it is longer than most others, so I have never had a problem.

All of this assumes you have 1-10 twist.

I shoot the 180 accbond. With my gun its the heaviest i can shoot and still get the sick fps out of the wsm round. I get one hole groups at 100 yards. Its my deer round really knocks them on there ass.

work your loads up. My rifle just shoot faster then normal.
180 3150 fps 3 reloads on cases 4th reload might retire the cases. at 3050 fps i could reload the cases for years

The 200 accbonds would pressure sign my rifle around 2700. They shot great though

I'm sending 190 Berger VLD's out the hole at 3,010 mv using 64.6 grains of RL 17.

My barrel is a Rock 11.25, it groups 1" at 300 yards.

I shoot a 180 gr sst, it shoots great and is inexpensive compared to Bergers and accubonds, it works great on game too. for other than game I shoot the 200smk. never had any problems shooting out to 1000 yds with either bullet pushed by 62-63 gr of H414.

I use a Barnes 168gr tipped TSX in my Kimber Montana 300wsm. It groups under a inch at 100yds and shoots flatter then the 180gr.

Chris