• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM hunting load accuracy??

308isgreat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2008
Milton, FL
I did a search already for this topic but it didn't turn up the info I need.

Basically, I have a 300WSM (custom rifle) with a 1:10 twist barrel. This rifle shoots sub .5 MOA at 100 yards with Sierra 180 MK bullets. The problem is every time I try hunting bullets the groups open up to 1.5-2.0 MOA. Hornady, Sierra, Barnes and Nosler bullets in all different weights do not perform well.

Any intell you guys might have on getting a really accurate hunting round for this rifle would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Re: 300 WSM hunting load accuracy??

You have to redevelop a hunting load for maximum accuracy--and even here using identical weighted bullets match<->hunting, you will never get the 0.5 MoA load that you can get with match ammo.

Don't worry about it, 1.0 MoA (plus a little) is PLENTY accurate enough for hunting, even at very significant disatnces.

178grn Amax pushed by 66.5grns H4350 set off with a fed 215m primer. 3202fps out of my ga precision and one ragged hole 5 shot groups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OUVarmintHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>

Good question! It will be mostly deer but nothing bigger than elk. The shots will vary in distance so that's why I'm trying to find a tight shooting load.

300WSM
Win Brass
190 Berger VLD .010 in the lands
69.5grns of IMR 7828 SSC
Fed210M

3015FPS via 29" tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300WSM
Win Brass
190 Berger VLD .010 in the lands
69.5grns of IMR 7828 SSC
Fed210M

3015FPS via 29" tube
</div></div>

Yes, I'm going to try Berger hunting VLD's soon. If you don't mind me asking, what is the typical accuracy of this load out of your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle: FN SPR 24" chrome lined bore 300WSM 1-10 twist
conditions: 60 degrees, 6mph @ 3o'clock 920 asl.
norma brass, wlr primer, berger 190 VLD, oal +.003 into lands
H4350 powder.

I ran some 3 shot groups at 100 today with the crono, until it stopped working (I think it got to dark for the screens to pick up the bullet).
61gr charge yeilded a .67" group center to center at 2772adv and es of 33 sd of 17 (note that this included one shot which was cold fouled bore and may be the reason for the extreme spread range)
61.5gr @.49" ctc vel @ adv 2789, es of 14, sd of 7

The crono stopped giving readings at this point, but I ran 62gr @ .617 ctc, 62.5gr @ .33 ctc 63gr @ .36 ctc

***Note to work up to these as they are pushing limits per load manual. I had no pressure signs in bolt lift, extration or measured on the case.*** </div></div>

taken form Sniper's hide reloading depot

I had realy good luck w/ 190 berger vld in my 300wsm, 7 deer fell w/ no tracking needed. I just swaped bm on my FN and can't get them to run shortned up so I'm going to try 208 amax and have heard good things.