• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wsm not being consistent during development

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Just got this Tikka T3 back from the smith a few weeks ago and struggling a little to find a load. It’s a stock T3 with the factory stock opened up a bit for a 2b benchmark barrel and bedded, 1-9.5 twist, 24”, plus brake. Intend it to be a hunting rifle.
I have Nosler and Norma brass. I found a good load with 65.5 grains of H4831sc at .09” off the lands and 212 grain ELD-X.
Kind of did it backward unintentionally as I was testing powder charges at .04 off the lands and 65.5 gave me the single digit SD/ES, then found .09 was the best seating depth after a seating depth test. This was using new Norma brass.
Today with all my newfound wisdom I loaded up 4 rounds each at .08, .085, .09, .095, and .1 off the lands to see if I could fine tune things. The only difference is that I was out of new Norma brass so I used some new Nosler brass. Pretty sure they’re the same, but Nosler sorts them and preps the brass.
Well, .085 off the lands was ok, but none of the groups were really great. Seems like everything went to hell. Now I’m wondering if it’s the change in brass or what. Velocity at 65.5 grains was 2805 and 66 grains was 2850, both at .09 off the lands with Nosler brass. Sample size of 1 shot as I was almost out of rounds and just took a reading with my MS sporter.
What do you guys think? Yes, it could be me, but before I shot the 300 wsm I was shooting my competition rifle in 6.5 creed and had no problems shooting 1/2” groups, but that’s a bit of a different gun as it’s all custom and I’ve had it dialed for years. I don’t know, just seems like when I think I got this one, it goes to crap on me.
7730F167-7AE4-4615-85E3-DE756663F114.jpeg

Why didn’t you reload your Norma brass? What makes you think Nosler brass is the same as Norma?

Why didn’t you reload your Norma brass? What makes you think Nosler brass is the same as Norma?
I’ve read and heard of many say Norma makes Nosler brass. But I was just going through new Norma brass, ran out and just grabbed some new Noslers. Simply a matter of being a little lazy and not resizing yet.

Weigh your Norma brass and compare it to your Nosler. Examine the brass carefully. Nosler makes some of their own brass. I’d measure them to make sure.

Weigh your Norma brass and compare it to your Nosler. Examine the brass carefully. Nosler makes some of their own brass. I’d measure them to make sure.
Probably the next thing to do is just that rather than just assume their the same. Didn’t realize Nosler makes some of their own brass.

Well, that’s my screw up. New Nosler brass is 13 grains heavier than the new Norma brass. Also explains a bit of pressure signs I saw today that I didn’t have using Norma. Interestingly, I have 120 pieces of old Nosler brass a friend gave me, and they weigh the same as my new Norma stuff. Seems like maybe now Nosler is making their own, but at some point back a few years ago it was Norma brass. That is my lesson for being lazy and going with assumptions.