• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wsm savage or 308 remington?

safarigene

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
central texas
I will be getting a new rifle set up in a wk or two. I was planning on getting a local 700p in 308 and putting a 10 or 12x super sniper on it. The gun will be for mostly playing on the range and maybe a little hunting, but not more than 400 yds on game.

I just found a savage 12bvss in 300wsm with a millet lrs 6.5-20 on it for the same price as it would cost to set up the 308. Stock will eventually be replaced with a manners or chassis in the future on either gun.

So which one would you recommend. I will need dies to load for either one.

Purchase the Remington - significantly more aftermarket product support plus almost all gunsmiths are familiar with the 700. Given your intended use and engagement range, I wouldn't bother with a 300, especially if this is your first bolt gun. My two cents fwiw.

Which one is better overall the 300WSM....but.....which is better for the use you stated....as much is i hate to say it the 308 Rem...

Purchase the Remington - significantly more aftermarket product support plus almost all gunsmiths are familiar with the 700. Given your intended use and engagement range, I wouldn't bother with a 300, especially if this is your first bolt gun. My two cents fwiw.

If you find a gunsmith that can't work on a savage... Run far far far away.....

If you find a gunsmith that can't work on a savage... Run far far far away.....

I can't say that I have ever encountered a gunsmith that told me he didn't work on Savage rifles however I have never owned a Savage. If i ever did, i also would fin it very strange.

I have owned numerous 700's and I have never encountered a gunsmith that didn't work on them. That's all I was trying to say into comment above.

I can't say that I have ever encountered a gunsmith that told me he didn't work on Savage rifles however I have never owned a Savage. If i ever did, i also would fin it very strange.

I have owned numerous 700's and I have never encountered a gunsmith that didn't work on them. That's all I was trying to say into comment above.

Hmmm, can't think of why... I'm no gunsmith, but i've done barrel swaps, trigger jobs, bedding jobs, parts swaps, etc with simple tools on my own rifles.... Depending on the job you usually don't even need a gunsmith for a savage.

I gotta agree w/the last few posts.i have 700's and savages, and there is less to do on a savage.and they all shoot great when i can see straight! Never heard a 'smith' say no to a savage project.........dave